Forums

Discovering the real Me

Page:   1 2

sallyg

Joined in 2010
August 2, 2010, 01:41

Hi Rachel and Rebecca

I’m Sally a 44-y-o trans woman living in Melbourne, i have only joined the list now, although being in touch with Anthony for a few years.

I will post further in the next 24 hours (brain fogging at this hour) just to say hi and let you know there are lots of people who have reconciled their faith with their sex/gender identity.

Cheeyars

Sally

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
August 2, 2010, 10:12

hey Sally…..nice to have you hear with us.

sallyg

Joined in 2010
August 3, 2010, 13:02

Hi all]

further to the post above (and apologies for the delay), here’s some detail.

I was born to 2 Jewish parents who in the Australian context are Liberal (roughly the equivalent of the Anglican church). I spent all my 13 years of schooling at an Anglican boys school that had compulsory chapel 3 mornings a week. (Note:my parents made the decision to send me to Brighton Grammar on pragmatic academic grounds: they didn’t like the Jewish schools at the time and thought this would be better for me. Fair enough.)

So I had a double-dose of religion. While I wasn’t told stuff directly like “you will rot because of your sins” etc, there was certainly homophobia. I remember the school chaplain taking religious studies in year 10 (1980) saying re homosexuals, “these people are sick, they need our help.” There wasn’t much room for femininity either. Brighton Grammar is equivalent enough to Melbourne or Sydney Grammar. (On a dry-humoured note, it was reminiscent of the 1939 classic film “Goodbye Mr Chips.” Oh, and I was cheesed off having to attend Jewish Sunday school – it meant missing some of World Championship Wrestling!!

Seriously, I mention all this because while these forces were very strong, although in all objectivity not as strong as some of the forces described by you Rachel, ultimately they could not overcome the real forces INside me: that the inside true force/soul/was to live as female.

Certainly there were pressures as I “came out.” My sister saying “keep it all quiet, the Jewish community will gossip and say x and Y’s son(sic) has gone mishuge (mad).” I don’t know if the Jewish community ever did that – and don’t care. I need to live as who I am.

I have now reconciled my faith with my true self. That “bush lawyers” can make up all the interpretations to suit themselves about sex, gender (or sexuality), but the real message of all faiths is about living authentically and respecting other people. The hierarchies who control the Abrahamic religions pick and choose to suit themselves as to which part of the scriptures they maintain – on what basis? None.

My faith is a mixture of Judiasm , Wiccan/pagan/magic and general humanism.

And I am happy, healthy and achieving my true potential as a human being.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
August 3, 2010, 13:09

hear hear Sally……it has been quite a journey for you…….you have a strong sense of self because of that though.

is there a link you could put up here that talks about your transgender journey.

sallyg

Joined in 2010
August 4, 2010, 22:42

Anthony

Well now, there’s a thought….

Immediate this second answer no.

I have an autobiography that i wrote in 2001 that goes up to 2001. But to be honest it is a bit a angry and I would like to re-write it.

I recently had to submit a 2 page bio but that is more community focussed.

I might have to work on it. i havea blog that is gathering cyber-dust.on which to post something.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
August 9, 2010, 09:55

always good to have a 1000 word overview of your journey on hand………I”m sure you’ll find that you will use it numerous times in different ways. 🙂

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
August 9, 2010, 22:13

Hi sallyg

You sound perfect just the way you are. 🙂

Great to hear a bit about you and hopefully we’ll hear more.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
August 9, 2010, 22:19

Hi Rachel

Well it’s a good start that you’ve found this site. I hope that you’ll continue talking with us here. And maybe that will be helpful in terms of later coming out to others face to face?

One step at a time..

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.062 seconds.