Forums

Discrimination??

Page:   1 2

Oakley

Joined in 2009
August 30, 2009, 19:40

Hey guys,

I just wondered how many people out there experience or see discrimination to GLBTIQ in their workplace?

I work in a field where we are supposed to be accepting of everyone, provide the exact same service to all who walk through the doors, especially in today’s society…. however people are people and they all have their own perceptions/morals, beliefs etc.

I also am someone that hears negativity towards the GLBTIQ community, especially whilst i was still at church as no one knew my background. From comments to “how would we even ask a gay person to church” to training nurses talking about working on the wards for gender reassignment “and those people just being freaky as”.

I must admit that prior to me falling in love with a woman, i was did not believe that gay people could be christians and were just sinners. After i fell for her, that did not change my relationship with God. Now i must say i am a big advocate for Gay rights, even though i am unsure of where i stand myself.

Anyway i guess i am just wondering when other people see discrimination or are discriminated against do they speak up and to what degree? I have just seen clients powerless to advocate for themselves, and wonder who they turn to….And how do people respond to the negativity they face?

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
August 30, 2009, 20:34

good question Oakley….it will be interesting to see what people say.

Sandy

Joined in 2007
August 30, 2009, 21:55

I always deal with situations like that by asking heaps of questions.

Do you think its worthwhile to ask a GLBT person to church?

Do you think the fact that they are GLBT necessitates them being asked in a unique way?

Why does being GLBT make a person difficult to engage with as a Christian and how might you overcome this?

What do you know about gender reassignment?

Do you believe a person can have a gender identity that is different to their biology?

Why is this idea “freaky”?

I’ll never forget the day that I came out to my mum and she asked “How do you know you are gay?” I responded with “How do you know you’re not?” Extreemly simple but questions like that can force people to think about, question and critically analyse ideas that they have never had to before.

In this way dialouge is opened up and the persons “discriminatory” view is contextualised within the broader scope of their beliefs, culture, environment and past. People, sadly, tend to get bogged down in this us/them birany–Us who are gay and lesbian and Them who discriminate against us. Very few people are essentially “bad” even if what they say seems that way. Ignorance doesn’t have to be the enemy, it can be the starting point.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
August 30, 2009, 23:36

I knew we could trust you Sandy to come up with an insightful answer.

I particularly liked.

I’ll never forget the day that I came out to my mum and she asked “How do you know you are gay?” I responded with “How do you know you’re not?”

answer with a question that makes the person think.

oooooo

Joined in 2006
August 31, 2009, 20:22

well i have experienced discrimination in the workplace

but then i was working in a couple of christian schools

so it stands to reason i guess i would experience discrimination there

i have to say that at university (studying full time) i see a small amount of discrimination, but largely in discussions amongst students (not realising who is in their company)

but the lecturers in my experience have never shown discrimination against glbti folk

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
August 31, 2009, 21:42

It depends on what you define as discrimination … legally there are certain actions one can’t take against GLBT people … I think we need to be mindful that discrimination is not always intentional … sometimes people because of their backgrounds or upbringing unwittingly do or say something that might cause offence … I had an incident recently where one person made a quite disparaging remark about a certain disability – all in jest but my initial reaction was to get mad but after I thought about it a bit longer, I realised that it was an opportunity to educate someone about the realities of this disability. The same situation could just as equally apply to GLBT discrimination …

Sandy

Joined in 2007
August 31, 2009, 22:03

think we need to be mindful that discrimination is not always intentional … sometimes people because of their backgrounds or upbringing unwittingly do or say something that might cause offence … I had an incident recently where one person made a quite disparaging remark about a certain disability – all in jest but my initial reaction was to get mad but after I thought about it a bit longer, I realised that it was an opportunity to educate someone about the realities of this disability. The same situation could just as equally apply to GLBT discrimination …

That’s kind of what I was saying but much better put.

Meyerink

Joined in 2009
September 1, 2009, 18:29

there are few issues that are raised in this discussion.

Discrimination

Acceptance

Education

Discrimination is when there is a total disregard for the other party or to attack personally.

Accpetance is more trying to get everone on the same page and working together in harmony.

Education is about people knowing the issues of their community.

What drives all these issues is one core value that needs to be changed. And that is ignorance. if we open up a persons mind then all three of these issues will come into line.

frogger

Joined in 2005
October 5, 2009, 02:18

I have experienced discrimination or homophobia or lack of education in the workplace a few times.

The story that comes to mind was an acting manager in a welfare service I worked in. He knew I was gay (its kind of obvious and I dont hide it). He was playing Hillsong CD’s in his office and I was singing along to the songs. He came to me and told me aggressively that I could not sing “those” songs. He was quite angry that I was singing them. I merely responded with a statement about me being a christian and not to discriminate against me. I told him it was sad that as long as he held these false prejudices he would never truly know me and I walked off singing louder.

I never dobbed him in, cause I didnt think that would actually help the situation. But, I made sure I sang along whenever it was on and made sure I brought up my christianity more often.

Qwerty

Joined in 2009
October 6, 2009, 14:39

I’m not at work at the moment (back at uni while jobs are hard to find) but what really gets to me is the phrase: that’s so gay.

Why do so many young people insist on using that comment about anything negative?

I even heard my 12 year old daughter say it. I told her it was hurtful that she uses my identity to describe anything she sees as negative.

Maybe I’m being too sensitive about it… what do you think?

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.047 seconds.