Forums

Does the bible refer to bisexuality?

Page: 1

deafant

Joined in 2009
October 11, 2009, 18:56

I am aware of the clobber verses in regard to homosexuality but wondered if anyone knows of any verses in regard to bisexuality?

I am aware that churches and Christians might use the same clobber verses against bisexuality but wondered if anyone had come across anything bi-specific.

I do know that Jesus makes no mention of anything that could refer to any kind of GLBTIQ relationship or sexual orientation as we know it today.

I find it really curious that I hear of all this Gay targeting by Christian churches today and so little mention of bisexuals. Trust me I know biphobia is out there, but it fascinates me that the focus is on homosexuality and bisexuals seem to escape the notice of churches and Christians by comparison.

Any thoughts or research on these areas?

gettingthere

Joined in 2008
October 12, 2009, 01:05

Of course not. Even the authors of the Bible were smart enough to know that bisexuality doesn’t actually exist.

😉 Haha, just a joke. I don’t think so. I think the anti-gay crowd just lumps it in with homosexuality or don’t acknowledge it’s existence. Arguably, David was bisexual… although to that end we could make a case for David being gay, straight, or bisexual. Aside from that, nothing comes to mind.

deafant

Joined in 2009
October 12, 2009, 01:29

Thanks for your reply gettingthere I appreciate you taking the time to write 😀

Sandy

Joined in 2007
October 12, 2009, 01:47

The thing to remember is that all the explicit references to homosexuality in the bible (i.e. not the relationships which could possibly be but could possibly not be homosexual) all refer to homosexual acts. Homosexuality wasn’t seen as an identity so one wasn’t viewed as being a homosexual but as a person who participated in homosexual acts. By this definition bisexual people would be lumped in with the rest as people who participated in homosexual acts and were not seen as being different to other gay people. Hope that helps.

deafant

Joined in 2009
October 12, 2009, 09:42

Thanks Sandy

What you say does make sense – especially when we think about so many peoples view that homosexuality can be turned off just like that! Was reading this attitude very recently in a comments column below a news article. Who knows maybe the very attitude from the bible may well have shaped much of todays attitudes such as the view that we are all heterosexual and homosexuality just something we can stop doing. You and I know its not true but there are still people who do sadly.

Thanks for your reply

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
October 12, 2009, 11:48

yep I believe Sandy is right….sexual orientation was unknown in biblical times as we know it today.

did heterosexual men in biblical times have sex with other men….the answer is yes…..but did this make them bisexual. I don’t think so…..any more that it does today.

having sex with someone of the same gender doesn’t make a person bisexual…….about 40% of men I believe according to Kinsey have had sex with another man. ……but they would never fall in love or want to partner with someone of the same sex….so in essense they do not have a bisexual orientation.

deafant

Joined in 2009
October 12, 2009, 12:13

Thanks Anthony,

It confirms what I thought to be the case – but for those of them back then that were gay or bi probably would never have admitted it to themselves as they would have no frame of reference for it. That must have been terrible to never have been able to live according to their orientation.

oooooo

Joined in 2006
October 14, 2009, 07:23

well depending on which people group/nation/culture

there were people who could and did live with their same sex partners

in some cultures it was not a big deal

deafant

Joined in 2009
October 14, 2009, 18:41

Yes I gather the Greeks were more open

Thanks ooooooo

oooooo

Joined in 2006
October 15, 2009, 10:00

oh there more than the ancient greeks

King James and the duke of Buckingham (strong suspicions)

Socrates and Lord Byron are well known to be most likely what we call bisexual or homosexual.

I wont start a biblical discussion of possibilities here lol

egyptians, native americans in some regions, some tribes in africa including the north congo people, ancient china and japan, ancient rome, ancient persia, and melanesia, partiularly png (even last century) are some examples of societies/cultures where what we call homosexuality were not only tolerated but often not even looked sideways at and even celebrated.

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.067 seconds.