Forums

Evangelical Hetro Youth Are Sexually Active

Page:   1 2

forestgrey
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2008
July 14, 2012, 21:06

Don't disagree, Joe. Original post was really about the hypocrisy of parts of the church who are anti-homosexual (partly because they have swallowed the myth that all gay people are promiscuous) whilst turning a 'blind eye' to the reality of the sexual behaviour of their own unmarried heterosexual young people.

But, the choice of celebacy until 'marriage' (whether gay or straight) is a subject which many folk (gay & straight) choose to ignore. [In this case, I include a committed GLBTI relationship as being a 'marriage'.]

Melbourne Chapter recently had a panel of three speakers from different perspectives (bi-sexuality, polyamoury, celibacy). I understand that, whilst the first two were found to be 'interesting', it was the latter which sparked most requests to hear the speaker (a lesbian cleric)again. We live in a sex-saturated culture which has corrupted much of our thinking – and desires – about sex. Celibacy generally, and certainly until 'marriage', warrants serious consideration and discussion as a valid option.

joe

Joined in 2012
July 15, 2012, 10:39

Yeah, that's where I'm coming from too. 🙂 Totes agree: without the social and legal structures provided for gay couples, we really do have to shape our own forms of relationship based on what we believe to be good and loving. Yeah, I heard about that Melbourne panel, shame I didn't get to go. I agree, in our culture (and particularly 'gay culture') things are so sexualised we can lose perspective. I think for gay culture, if you've been shunned from society and all the relational structures that go with it merely because of your sexual orientation it makes sense that you would want to hold onto that tightly and celebrate that. I kind of feel, in the past, gay culture was built on sex because often that's all that was possible (the furtive sex act) before having to return to society's norms of heterosexuality and a heterosexual family life. And if your sexual orientation is what people define you as, you can start to focus on sexuality as the most important part of your identity (and it is important).

For me, at least, I see sex as so important that only a loving, committed relationship can provide the safety and grace in which to explore such a gift. That's based on my understanding of the nature of people and how love works. I'm always open to learning more about the nature of God and love though, so I wouldn't ever foist my beliefs onto someone else! cheers 🙂 j

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
July 15, 2012, 21:28

Hi Joe

You make some good points there. Thanks for making me think about this in a different way. 🙂

Blessings,

Ann Maree

joe

Joined in 2012
July 16, 2012, 21:52

🙂

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.049 seconds.