Forums

Exclusive Brethren GP in Sydney banned for prescribing gay 'cure'

Page: 1

HillsBen
Youth Coordinator
Joined in 2008
September 5, 2012, 09:41

Hi everyone,

An article was released in the Sydney Morning Herald this morning about a doctor from the Exclusive Brethren being banned for prescribing medication to try and 'cure' an 18 year old man's homosexuality. The doctor prescribed this medication almost 3 years ago and the young man in the article actually marched with us in Mardi Gras 2010 with the theme 'Celebrating ex-gay survivors'. The young man lives in New Zealand and is a strong voice for LGBTI rights.

Here is the article:

Exclusive Brethren GP banned for prescribing gay 'cure'

Louise Hall – September 5 2012

A SYDNEY doctor who is a member of the Exclusive Brethren Christian sect has been banned from practising as a GP after he prescribed chemical castration to a young man who sought a ''cure'' for homosexuality.

Mark Christopher James Craddock, 75, wrote the 18-year-old patient a script for the anti-androgen therapy cyproterone acetate (Cyprostat) during a 10-minute consultation in his home in February 2008.

The patient, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was at the time a member of the Exclusive Brethren church.

In a letter of complaint to the Health Care Complaints Commission, the patient said when, at the age of 18 he came out as gay, a church leader told him, ''there's medication you can go on''. ''He recommended that I speak to Dr Craddock on the matter with a view to my being placed on medication to help me with my 'problem','' the New Zealand resident said.

Advertisement Dr Craddock gave him a prescription for Cyprostat as well as five repeats. The drug, which lowers libido by reducing the amount of testosterone, is used to treat prostate cancer and severe male sexual disorders and sexual deviation.

In a hearing before the professional standards committee of the Medical Council of NSW in June, Dr Craddock admitted he did not obtain a medical history, conduct a physical examination, take an adequate sexual history or arrange a follow-up appointment.

He did not refer the patient to a counsellor or a psychologist, despite the drug manufacturer's recommendation, and did not order a liver test or discuss the side effects, which include impotence.

Dr Craddock conceded it was potentially dangerous for a patient to have that much medication unsupervised. He said, in hindsight, he should not have prescribed it at all.

Last month the committee found him guilty of unsatisfactory professional conduct.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/exclusive-brethren-gp-banned-for-prescribing-gay-cure-20120904-25cnu.html#ixzz25XzRFoKR

J

Joined in 2012
September 5, 2012, 15:17

That poor guy 🙁 I suppose he was in a desperate search for answers, but Mr Craddock shouldn't have prescribed him drugs in an attempts to change him in the first place, because as we all know, nothing can change ones sexual orientation! My heart goes out to him.

~Jordan

Michelle
President
Joined in 2008
September 7, 2012, 22:55

Hi all,

The guy mentioned 'Craig' is doing so well! He was involved with freedom2b a few years ago and we were glad to be able to offer him some support at the time. He is now working with lgbti youth and pursuing his chosen career. He is also a strong advocate for our community. It's great that he was able to find support in NZ and find the strength to stand up and fight the incredible injustice he experienced through the brethren church and this so called doctor 🙁

He is one of the success stories to be celebrated 🙂

Cheers

Michelle

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
September 8, 2012, 10:34

Well done to Craig! A real inspiration. 🙂

Thanks for the update, Michelle. That's great to hear that he's gone from strength to strength. 🙂

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.117 seconds.