Forums

Former NSW Premier & Catholic writes about why she supports gay marriage

Page: 1

HillsBen
Youth Coordinator
Joined in 2008
September 26, 2011, 12:20

Brilliant article from Kristina Keneally (former Premier of NSW & strong Christian) about why she supports gay marriage.

You can read the article here: http://www.eurekastreet.com.au/article.aspx?aeid=28390

Some of my favourite quotes:

“Jesus did have a lot to say about self-sacrifice, laying down one’s life for another, and loving one another as he loved us. When I see homosexual couples in mutually loving relationships, or giving self-sacrificing love to a child, how can I not but see a mirror of Jesus’ love for us?”

“My lack of knowledge about homosexuality meant I had very few presuppositions to confront. I came to the questions of how to respond to homosexual people armed not with Vatican teachings and cultural assumptions, but simply with the Gospel message of ‘love one another as I have loved you'”

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
September 27, 2011, 10:51

Hi Ben

Wow! What a fabulous article. I’m really impressed with Kristina Keneally. 🙂

I also very much like the quotes you highlighted above.

I found a couple of other points that are worth noting.

McBrien also outlined other theological points of view, including the argument that homosexual acts are morally neutral, because the morality of a sexual act depends on the quality of the relationship of the people involved; or that homosexual acts are preferable to living a life where one can never give expression to one’s sexuality.

and Kristina’s final paragraph:

Taking a contrary view to Church teaching is not a position I come to lightly. It is formed by prayer, reading, and reflection. It gives me no relish to be at odds with my Church. But it also gives me no joy to see people who are created in God’s image unable to fully express their humanity, or live with the rights and dignity that heterosexual people are afforded. I act in good conscience — as a Catholic, I can do nothing else.

Thanks for posting this. It was well worth reading. 🙂

Blessings,

Ann Maree

forestgrey
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2008
September 27, 2011, 23:22

Excellent article – KK has certainly now gone up in my expectations.

The extensive comments on the Eureka St site are worth a read too.

(Thanks, Ben, for posting this.)

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.028 seconds.