Forums

Freedom 2 B[e] - 5th Anniversary Dinner

Page:   1 2 3

Shane Cathcart
Event Coordinator
Joined in 2009
April 9, 2011, 17:37

There is much to celebrate. On Friday the 30th September 2005, in Anthony Venn-Brown’s lounge room in Surry Hills, 12 people from similar backgrounds and experiences met together for the first time and so Freedom 2 b[e] was birthed. We now have monthly chapter meetings in Sydney and Melbourne as well as youth groups. Over 4000 people visit our site each month looking for answers, support and connection. We have raised awareness, assisted 1000’s of people find resolution of faith and/or sexuality and become Australia’s leading organisation for LGBT people from Christian backgrounds.

On Friday, May 6th 2011 we celebrate five years of making an impact on lives right across Australia.

Venue: The Sydney Marriott Hotel, 36 College Street, Sydney

Time: 7:00pm to midnight (sit down for meal at 7:30pm)

Cost: $70* per person or $50* (concession for students and those on governement benefits)

* Drinks are not included in the above prices. Non-alcoholic and alcoholic drinks can be purchased at the event. No BYO.

Dress: Smart casual

Our speaker: The Hon. Michael Kirby AC CMG

Considered a hero within the LGBT community and always an inspiring speaker, former Australian High Court Judge, The Hon. Michael Kirby AC CMG is one of Freedom 2 b[e]’s patrons.

Not only has the Hon. Michael Kirby had an outstanding national and international judicial and human rights career, he has been open about being gay since 1999, when he came out in Who’s Who in Australia by naming Johan van Vloten as his long-term partner. Van Vloten, and has lived with Kirby since 1969. Kirby has often spoken publicly in support of gay rights.

While President of the International Commission of Jurists he encouraged that organisation to give more consideration to human sexuality as an aspect of human rights,and as an Anglican he has expressed disappointment at his church’s stance on gay rights. In 2002, at the Sydney Gay Games VI, Kirby was the keynote speaker at the opening ceremony. “The movement for equality is unstoppable. Its message will eventually reach the four corners of the world,” he told a crowd of 35,000. Michael Kirby has appeared on the list of the 25 Most Influential Gay and Lesbian Australians every year since it commenced in 2007.

Registration is essential to attend. Please use this link to purchase tickets:

http://f2bfifthanniversarydinner.eventbrite.com

Please join us for another memorable Freedom 2 B[e] event, and as always, family and friends are welcome.

For any inquiries please email [email protected]

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
April 10, 2011, 04:24

Hi Shane

That’s an amazing achievement. You’re right – lots to celebrate. 🙂 And the event is sure to be a great night! 🙂

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
April 17, 2011, 12:48

Freedom 2 b[e] Award 2008 presented to Rev Michael Hercock and the 100 Revs for the most significant contribution to creating understanding and acceptance of GLBT people in Australia’s Christian Churches

100 Revs Apology to the GLBT Community

“As ministers of various churches and denominations we recognise that the churches we belong to, and the church in general, have not been places of welcome for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender (GLBT) people. Indeed the church has often been profoundly unloving toward the GLBT community. For these things we apologise, whatever the distinctive of our Christian position on human sexuality – to which we remain committed. We are deeply sorry and ask for the forgiveness of the GLBT community. We long that the church would be a place of welcome for all people and commit ourselves to pursuing this goal.”

Freedom 2 b[e] Award 2009 presented to Rev Rob Buckingham and Bayside Church, Melbourne for the most significant contribution to creating understanding and acceptance of GLBT people in Australia’s Christian Churches

Bayside Church Statement

“Bayside Church is a place where everyone is welcome. We believe that God loves everyone and that He sent His Son Jesus to bring salvation (through His death and resurrection) to all of humanity. A study of the life of Jesus clearly reveals His love and care towards those who are often marginalized by the rest of society. Bayside Church welcomes GLBT people to find God’s love and grace and to worship Him freely within our community.”

Freedom 2 b[e] Award 2010 presented to ???????? ????????????? for the most significant contribution to creating understanding and acceptance of GLBT people in Australia’s Christian Churches (to be announced at the anniversary dinner)

Mr Summit
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2010
April 20, 2011, 01:12

Sounds like it is going to be an awesome night.

I’ll be there. After work I’ll change into some “smart casual” or “semi formal” atire and hit the airport. :bigsmile:

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
April 20, 2011, 14:31

YEAH!

🙂 🙂 🙂

grebo5454

Joined in 2010
April 20, 2011, 22:12

🙂 Yeah from me too Adam

Look forward to catching up again. See you on the 6th.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
April 22, 2011, 02:09

……and the Hon. Michael Kirby is speaking on “The global struggle against AIDS and for equality in the face of religious hostility”.

…and wait till you see our faaaaaaaaaabulous anniversary cake.

Bring your dancing shoes Grebo

grebo5454

Joined in 2010
April 23, 2011, 23:03

🙂 Shoes…..check (already packed Anthony.) Looking forward to the evening and catching up with my new friends again. It’s going to be a fantastic few days.

Katy Perry on Wednesday evening and the dinner on Friday evening. How exciting 8)

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
April 24, 2011, 02:16

not a program for your average Mum……such is the blessing of being the Mum of a gay son…..and being connected with our faaaaaaaaaaaaaaabulous community 🙂

grebo5454

Joined in 2010
April 24, 2011, 20:32

🙂 and I was told by many people that I was “too old” to have kids when I did and would not enjoy them growing up. What absolute rubbish. I have never felt younger. Praise God

Page:   1 2 3

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.066 seconds.