Forums

Freedom 2 b[e] Celebrates Ex-gay Survivors

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
January 21, 2010, 15:20

wow….that is great…..you certainly wont be alone……..every year we seem to get more and more who march for the first time.

its such an empowering experience.

orfeo

Joined in 2007
January 22, 2010, 13:28

Parade is 27th February, right?

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
January 22, 2010, 13:38

yep……our registrations close on Friday 12th though.

Do you think you’ll be joining us this year.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
January 22, 2010, 15:24

Gay or straight. Do you want to see the end of all ex-gay, conversion/re-orientation style ministries and therapies in Australia? (People are damaged and waste precious years of their lives trying to turn from gay to straight.) …..then march with us.

People who are same-sex-orientated often feel societal and family pressures to resist, reject or deny their true feelings. This pressure to conform and live as heterosexuals is much more intense for those who come from faith backgrounds and Christian churches, as the belief system says that acceptance or rejection of their sexuality has eternal consequences. Struggling to change can be private and internal, through one on one personal counselling or support groups. Some of us have even gone to the extremes of exorcisms, ‘ex-gay’ programs or marrying, believing this will solve our ‘problem’. The journey to find resolution and self–acceptance for gay men and lesbians from Christian backgrounds can be torturous and even traumatic.

There is NO scientific evidence that people can change their sexual orientation and mental health professionals have warned of the emotional and psychological dangers of attempting.

This year, Freedom 2 b[e] (a network of people from Pentecostal, Charismatic and Evangelical backgrounds) celebrates the journey survivors have travelled to rid ourselves of damaging and outdated beliefs. Beliefs that said homosexuality was a sin, sickness or the result of a dysfunctional family upbringing. We are no longer victims of our own or others ignorance.

We invite all those who have been through any form of ‘ex-gay’ therapy or counselling to join us this year in the parade. Family members and friends are welcome to join us in support.

Marching in the Mardi Gras parade or a Pride march is often an empowering experience and an opportunity to put the shame and the ‘demons’ of the past to rest by publicly declaring that we are out, proud and love being who we are; lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender.

Our message is a positive one; celebrating our journeys to resolution and self-acceptance. By marching together we also send a positive message to people in churches who are still locked in a prison of self-hatred.

Accepting our sexuality, coming out in a supportive environment and embracing being gay or lesbian, sets us free.

For more information please email [email protected]

General inquiries and to register your interest in marching with us please send an email to [email protected]

To register your interest go to http://f2bmg2010.eventbrite.com/

Please note: In order to meet the requirements of the Mardi Gras organisation so the logistics of the 8,000 strong parade can be finalised……and in order for Freedom 2 b[e] to organise t-shirts and other articles for every participant, all registrations must be in by Friday 12 February 2010. DON’T PUT IT OFF OR YOU’LL MISS OUT. Thanks for your help.

Unsure about the importance of participating in the parade? These articles may be helpful.

http://alifeofunlearning.blogspot.com/2009/01/mardi-gras-and-pride-celebrations-to.html

http://alifeofunlearning.blogspot.com/2007/03/divine-moment-in-mardi-gras-parade.html

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
January 22, 2010, 22:21

Parade is 27th February, right?

It would be awesome if you could join us orfeo 8)

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
January 23, 2010, 07:50

if people want to circulate a PDF…..you can view and save it here http://www.freedom2b.org/files/f2b_mg_banner.pdf

DavidLG
Event Coordinator
Joined in 2009
January 27, 2010, 22:34

Gday all

Im soooo tempted t o join u guys in marching in the mardi gra.. Im planning obe there and watch. But then i thought much easier to join u guys and have peoele t o hang with lol.

I am an ex gay survivor and seriusoly am OVER the stress of trying t o change or decrease my same sex attraction.

And am eager t o march but i m scared at the same time too lol. Im debatign within myself t ogo so please pray for a decison.

If i do go i want some folk to hang with after the parade rather than wander thrugh the after party solo so please pray ,

thanks.

When is the deadline? 12th Feb?

Nick

Joined in 2007
January 28, 2010, 00:19

Hi Topgun,

I was thinking the same thing last year and I decided to march for the first time. All I can say is that it was a really great experience, almost spiritual even. Mardi gras can be full-on and in your face with the sounds and colours of other floats, but when I marched last year, I personalised it and made it my parade. It was me and my partner’s journey. It was exhilirating.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
January 28, 2010, 03:11

Hi Nick

I love what you’ve written here about personalising the parade and making it your own. I had the similar experience of marching one year and feeling like it was a spiritual experience. What amazed me was how strangers and onlookers from balconies and the street yelled so much encouragement to us, it was really moving and positive. I wish everyone could experience that regardless of their orientation.

Topgun, all kinds of people go to march or be onlookers. I found it helpful knowing there were many different groups that make up our community and support us rather than one stereotype. I hope you are supported to do what you feel is best for where you’re at, whether going or not.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
January 29, 2010, 02:20

Your feelings are very normal Topgun…….lots of people feel fear…..all sorts of things. I can still remember the first time I marched in the parade in 1994. This year is probably my 7th time…..so I’m a veteran now…..hehe.

Because the way you feel is so normal….this is what we do every year.

1. Friday night we all meet together….and welcome people from overseas and interstate so they feel more comfortable the next day.

2. We have to meet around 4 or 5 in the marshalling area. this gives us lots of time to chat.

3. Then we are off……and the crowd roars with excitement

4. The person you are at the end of the parade is different to the person you are at the beginning. Something has changed.

5. After the parade we all chill out together….and debrief…..its great…..venue TBA

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.092 seconds.