Forums

Freedom 2 B[e] June Meeting - Robyn And Ann's a Different Kind of Love Story

Page: 1

Shane Cathcart
Event Coordinator
Joined in 2009
May 27, 2010, 15:27

You’ve seen them at our meetings. They marched with us in this years Mardi Gras parade for the first time. But do you know their story?

At our June meeting we have the pleasure of Robyn and Ann sharing their intriguing story. When asked for their bios, this is what they gave me. It reflects the style and content of what they will share with us.

This is what they wrote:

We were born in Australia and England, raised in conservative evangelical Christian families

We have:

* over 50 years of marriage between us

* 7 children

* over 50 years of Church Ministry/pastoring/leadership

Once we thought we were heterosexual but now identify as lesbian and living happily ever after…..with each other!

* Favourite movies: Love Actually and Imagine You and Me

* Favourite music: James Taylor, Faure’s Requiem

* Favourite colour: Turquiose

* Favourite pet: Cat…no… Dog…no…Cat…no…Dog…

* Favourite food: wine!

* Favourite wine: NZ sauv blanc

When: Friday 4 June 2010

Time: 7.15 for 7.30 start (finish 9.00pm)

Where: Lower ground floor – Rooms 9-10 ACON Building,

9 Commonwealth Street, Surry Hills Sydney

See map

After our formal meeting you are welcome to join us for a reasonably priced dinner or a snack at Betty’s Soup Kitchen, Oxford St and possibly a drink as well after that. STAY AS LITTLE OR AS LONG AS YOU LIKE. Always interesting conversation with quality people.

If you want further details then email [email protected] or phone 0416 015 231

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
June 5, 2010, 15:57

missed it….read here http://www.starobserver.com.au/news/2010/06/03/ann-and-robyn-share-a-journey/26275

forestgrey
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2008
June 5, 2010, 20:01

What a fantastic and moving presentation by Robyn and Ann at last night’s Sydney meeting. For those who weren’t there, I trust that a written version can be posted here soon.

Great tag-team effort, ladies. And excellent use of Powerpoint – none of the usual overkill (No ‘death by powerpoint’.)

Apart from the gay side of the story, it was interesting to hear some inferences about church and family life from over many years and opposite sides of the world which just prove how we ALL have ‘feet of clay’ – even most of those church leaders we look up to.

The pressure on pastors and leaders and missionaries (and their families) to present the right image is far greater than the average church-member realizes. Underneath the facade, they are just as much frail humans as the rest of us and equally victims in their own way. Probably more so in those (did I say, “pentecostal”!?) churches where being seen to be successful is so important. Because of our experience (with the ‘gay’ thing), we should be extra understanding and gracious and supportive – even if they don’t (yet) understand us.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
June 5, 2010, 23:02

I loved the tag team approach forestgrey. they are so a couple aren’t they…….and more of a couple than many heterosexual couples I know.

I loved the naturalness of their presentation…….and the interesting side lines along the way such as details of the marriage…the children etc.

I loved the bits of pentecostal history

I loved the photos and Powerpoint

I love it that for some of our first time guests ..their story was perfect.

I can’t actually recall a dud night at freedom 2 b[e] in four years……..but this one stands out as one of the best.

We are going to miss them when they are gone.

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.024 seconds.