Forums

Freedom by deliverance...

Page: 1

Thingymabobie

Joined in 2011
September 13, 2011, 01:03

Hey guys,

was trying to get a balanced view of the discussion on Homosexuality, when I came across this website…

http://www.christianityandhomosexuality.com/

and

http://carm.org/christianity-and-homosexuality

Yeah…I guess I don’t really need to get your opinions…

Mr Summit
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2010
September 13, 2011, 08:51

Hi Thingymabobie,

I have to admit, when I first saw this thread I thought it might be intentionally provocative. But then I realized who it is that posted it.

I am familiar with the 1st link. It was around back when I was (rather unsuccessfully) trying to be straight. There is clearly a lot of distress in it and I feel sorry for the person involved. The second one contains several factual inaccuracies and is actually quite offensive in areas (except I have more important things to spend the emotional energy on).

What do you think about them? Do you want us to should how we would offer a counter-argument? It’s not always helpful to get bogged down in these types of debates.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
September 13, 2011, 12:40

Hi Thingymabobie

What do you think of these articles and sites?

I found the first one very lengthy and quite bizarre.

How’s this for a quote?

He also explained that there is no such thing as a bisexual demon. It just means that the demon hasn’t got as strong a grip on the person.

😀 😀 😀 :~ Hilarious! I wonder where the preacher got that pearl of wisdom from.. And does that mean there’s hope for me yet? I love that he thinks bisexuality is less definite than homosexuality, an inaccurate idea that even some gay people hold to.

The other thing that crossed my mind is that just because that young man found himself being led to clobber scriptures doesn’t mean God was convicting him. For all he knows, God might have wanted him to look more deeply at the passages and their contexts. A superficial reading of anything, especially an ancient text of a culture that’s opposite to ours, is unlikely to reveal the true meaning. It would be like me going to China and expecting to understand the culture without knowing the language or customs. How can we be so sure of anything without the right tools and study?

I’m interested to know your thoughts.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Thingymabobie

Joined in 2011
September 13, 2011, 13:41

Weeeelll…

The first one I dismissed pretty easily, though I remember reading it a year ago and being quite discouraged…no-one likes the thought of being demonized! The article brought up some bad feelings, but, it’s all to easy. I don’t think anyone is demonized because they are gay, but maybe anyone who is opening abusing sex or been abused by sex could have some demonic stuff to deal with. Not that they are bad, but that the enemy is trying to hurt them…elementary thoughts!

the 2nd article was a but hurtful…But I guess I find such a difference in the article written to prove homosexuality and those against it. The ones for always go into so much detail with the Scriptures, and seem to be written ina spirit of love. The ones against always use the ‘superficial” reading and can be quite ‘angry’?

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
September 13, 2011, 17:12

Hi Thingymabobie

Some of the pro gay stuff can be just as silly and superficial.

You’re right – I mean, who does want to be demonised?!

Here’s a thought provoking and sensible article that looks at the church’s stances and the stereotypes used regarding the LGBTI community. Rowland Croucher, chaplain for f2b, sent it to me and is something he sends to church people who are against homosexuality.

http://jmm.aaa.net.au/articles/22914.htm

Let me know what you think of that one.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Mother Hen

Joined in 2011
September 13, 2011, 23:15

I haven’t read these articles and from the comments being made I don’t think I want to, sounds like I would find them upsetting.

ShadowBoxer
Joined in 2005
September 15, 2011, 20:43

When I was young – Mr AVB might remember those days – I was exorcised from the Demons of Television (and others but I lost count to be honest). There was a period when that was quite popular in the AOG. all sorts of Demons abounded everywhere !

Years later … My (Male) partner and I sat down with my Father (who had been one of those behind getting me exorcised – and who now by the way loves my partner and calls him his second son and writes impassioned Pro gay letters to his church and to the news papers – but I digress) – and we watched a movie called Saved. (its a cool movie – – and no demons by the way – but I like it anyway – Smaltzy ending but hey – I like those.)

For those those who haven’t seen this movie. Parts of it quite resonated with my upbringing…. and when my Dad saw it – he – without any prompting or comment from me – apologized for what he put me through as a kid.

He no longer subscribes to the belief of demons etc and is embarrassed he ever did.

Mind you – at the time – he was sincere. Sincerity is no guarantee of correctness.

So the point Im making here – If its not clear – is the people who make these websites may be sincere – and may believe it – but hey – in 20 years time they may – like my father – have learnt how wrong they were – even though they can’t conceive they could be wrong now.

In fact, Ive always thought a mind is like a parachute – a closed one doesn’t function very well. If you think you are 100% right – your wrong 99% guaranteed. (but I could be wrong about that)

I’ve actually yet to find an ex gay who is relaxed and happy and content and who isn’t sneaking out to a beat in secret or isn’t just plain plainly and openly miserable. SAYING they are happy doesn’t MAKE it so and the louder they protest with the miserable demeanor on the face – the sadder it is. Actions always speak louder than words in my book. They probably exist somewhere – but if so there are so rare – that tells you something. There are so many EX -EX gays and so many are happy and well adjusted and content and that tells you something too. (although this is the real world and theres no guarantee of a happy ending anywhere – i know theres a meteorite up there with my name on it 🙂 )

These sites don’t seem to improve peoples lives. And I think that eventually their owners will – if they a genuine about learning and helping – will change – but they have their journeys – and like my dad – they can go down so really wrong and incorrect paths on the way

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
September 27, 2011, 15:36

Yes Phillwall……I remember them well….not only having demons cast out of me…….but doing it to others……..it all began in New Zealand in 1971. Deliverance was big there in the Charismatic movement which hadn’t really hit Australia to the same degree at that time. I remember being warned on my return to Australia in Pentecostal circles that deliverance was not a doctrine they subscribe to.

People would come to me privately for deliverance sessions as their pastors said that Christians couldn’t have demons. We were all very sincere as we cast out all manner of things in the name of Jesus…..sincerely deluded……. :bigsmile:

God forgive me for the damage I may have caused in peoples lives……I acted in ignorance.

Here is an article on samesame I was interviewed about this Devil or Delusion?

BTW…..I didn’t read the links above……I think I have read enough of that stuff to last me several lifetimes……. :bigsmile:

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
September 28, 2011, 08:39

Hi avb

Yes I remember being in a church that was big into exorcisms. They were also into purging people of ‘the sins of their fathers’ or ‘transgenerational curses’. To me, it was just another way to whip up peoples’ emotions and have control over them.

And it’s not surprising that some might feel relief after an exorcism. That could come about for a number of reasons: relief that it was over, a sense of catharsis, or relief brought about as a physical response, like the body being able to relax after all that struggling, tensing and deep breathing.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.04 seconds.