Forums

From New Zealand - Lush and Legalise Love campaign

Page: 1

J

Joined in 2012
July 22, 2012, 22:17

A bit late but nevertheless…

LUSH, the makers of fresh handmade bath bombs and cosmetics in general, has joined forces with the Legalise Love campaign for equal rights.

Lush and Legalise Love are urging the Government to take either the Marriage (Definition of Marriage) Amendment Bill or the Marriage (Equality) Amendment Bill out of the member’s ballot and through the parliamentary process.

“This is an essential step to providing fair and equal rights to New Zealanders,” a statement from the groups says.

Lush will also be selling a new limited edition Freedom Foamer bubble bar, with all proceeds going to Legalise Love’s campaign to end marriage discrimination.

Lush Campaigns Manager Megan Taylor says the company believes everyone should have the equal right to marry the person they love.

“Many of our staff, customers, friends and family are not given the same rights as everyone else and we felt, for the sake of our friends, we had to challenge this injustice.”

Legalise Love President Andrew Cunningham adds thousands of New Zealanders are living with their partners.

“They share a bed, they share meals, they share bills, and they share love, commitment, and ups and downs. Although what they don’t share is a ring with the title of husband or wife. This is legal commitment to love and a life shared and a deprived aspect of many couples’ relationships in New Zealand.

“To be in a relationship that you know is fundamentally not seen as equal by state and society is a hardship no one should go through, and it’s a hardship shared. Same-sex couples share so much, so it is only right they get to share marriage too. The Marriage Amendment Bills recently proposed are an essential step in the right direction, and should be taken by government and put through due process. It is time for us to stand up and support our fellow New Zealanders. Let’s give them the rights they have been so long denied, and be allowed to love.”

For more info on the Legalise Love campaign itself:

http://www.legaliselove.org.nz/

For Lush:

http://www.lushnz.com/

J

Joined in 2012
July 22, 2012, 22:39

I think it is great these two forces are bringing awareness to the current discrimination of same sex marriage.

I personally hate the term 'civil union' because 'civil' to me means 'tolerated', and a 'tolerated' marriage to me means 'valued less than', which is discrimination. It is almost like same sex couples are denied the term 'marriage' too 🙁 maybe it's just me and my opinion, I don't know. There was this amazing speech by Graeme Taylor on YouTube, and he basically said:

Martin Luther King once said he would hope to see the day his grandchildren are judged not by the colour of their skin, but by the content of their character. Well I hope one day we are judged by the content of our character and not for who we love.

He couldn't have said it any better.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
July 23, 2012, 07:42

Hi Jordan

It's always good to see companies and individuals taking a stand for social justice issues, especially when it affects their people. Thanks for posting this.

And I hadn't thought of 'civil' in that context of 'tolerating'. I'd thought of it only in the context of how it relates to being a citizen or of benefit to citizens.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Sophia Chokhmah

Joined in 2011
July 23, 2012, 14:33

That's awesome 🙂

J

Joined in 2012
July 23, 2012, 16:58

Thanks for the replies <3

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.071 seconds.