Forums

GAY ASIAN - AUSTRALIAN PROUD FROM SYDNEY-MELBOURNE

Page:   1 2 3 4

Rivers

Joined in 2008
August 24, 2010, 22:06

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for sharing your story. Your raise an important issue.

I hate racism and think God does too. God does not discriminate and we have no right to either. As Christians, and especially as LGBT Christians who have experienced discrimination regarding our sexuality, we should be the light of the world and be examples through our acceptance and love for one another, regardless of race or ethnicity. We should be the ones seeking justice and standing up for others who are denied their rights or experience prejudice in any situation. “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.” – Dr. MLK Jr.

People may feel an attraction to people of different races, or to only their own race, but that doesn’t give anyone the right to be rude or hurtful by their words or actions. I think a lot of “racial attraction” is “nurture” not “nature” anyway – its mostly what people grow up with or get used to. I know many many white guys for example who say they don’t like Asian guys until they live in or visit a big Asian city and meet or get to know some really great people, and then suddenly they don’t see a particular race anymore, just people.

In the past I have been more attracted to ABWG (anything but white guys), but living in Tokyo I know there are some places I just can’t go because foreigners (non-Asian) are not welcome. Meanwhile, when I visited clubs in NYC (Lord have mercy) with an Asian friend, I was really upset by the way he was treated.

Unfortunately racism is a real problem in the community, and in the church, and in every community, but that is one reason why Jesus came, to break down the dividing walls between races and people and to bring everyone back to God in the unity of the Spirit. Once we fall in love with God, get our eyes on Jesus and get filled to overflowing with the Holy Spirit we start to see and love others as Jesus sees and loves them. We see who they are in the spirit, not black or white or asian, not male or female, but all one in Christ Jesus, and he becomes everything to everyone.

Right now I’m listening to a song by Reba Rambo McGuire “Lord, make us one river, one body of water, one people, united by your love, latter rain keep falling, Spirit pour down on us, till we’re just one river, one body of water, one river flowing forth …”

Anyway, I think the key is to continue to keep our hearts right and walk in love and forgiveness, even when others are stupid or racist. Its the love and light in us that makes people ashamed of their hatred in the end. Live above the junk of this world by just loving people.

Bless you Aaron. Glad you feel settled and accepted at your church. I hope you enjoy making friends here.

Timothy

azza81

Joined in 2010
August 24, 2010, 22:30

🙂 Thank you what an intelligent man you are, finally someone understands Thank you so much and I am very greatful

Rivers

Joined in 2008
August 24, 2010, 22:37

Don’t compliment me too much. I might grow wings and fly back to heaven. It is better for your sake that I remain among you for a while. 0:)

azza81

Joined in 2010
August 24, 2010, 23:22

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for sharing your story. Your raise an important issue.

I hate racism and think God does too. God does not discriminate and we have no right to either. As Christians, and especially as LGBT Christians who have experienced discrimination regarding our sexuality, we should be the light of the world and be examples through our acceptance and love for one another, regardless of race or ethnicity. We should be the ones seeking justice and standing up for others who are denied their rights or experience prejudice in any situation. “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.” – Dr. MLK Jr.

People may feel an attraction to people of different races, or to only their own race, but that doesn’t give anyone the right to be rude or hurtful by their words or actions. I think a lot of “racial attraction” is “nurture” not “nature” anyway – its mostly what people grow up with or get used to. I know many many white guys for example who say they don’t like Asian guys until they live in or visit a big Asian city and meet or get to know some really great people, and then suddenly they don’t see a particular race anymore, just people.

In the past I have been more attracted to ABWG (anything but white guys), but living in Tokyo I know there are some places I just can’t go because foreigners (non-Asian) are not welcome. Meanwhile, when I visited clubs in NYC (Lord have mercy) with an Asian friend, I was really upset by the way he was treated.

Unfortunately racism is a real problem in the community, and in the church, and in every community, but that is one reason why Jesus came, to break down the dividing walls between races and people and to bring everyone back to God in the unity of the Spirit. Once we fall in love with God, get our eyes on Jesus and get filled to overflowing with the Holy Spirit we start to see and love others as Jesus sees and loves them. We see who they are in the spirit, not black or white or asian, not male or female, but all one in Christ Jesus, and he becomes everything to everyone.

Right now I’m listening to a song by Reba Rambo McGuire “Lord, make us one river, one body of water, one people, united by your love, latter rain keep falling, Spirit pour down on us, till we’re just one river, one body of water, one river flowing forth …”

Anyway, I think the key is to continue to keep our hearts right and walk in love and forgiveness, even when others are stupid or racist. Its the love and light in us that makes people ashamed of their hatred in the end. Live above the junk of this world by just loving people.

Bless you Aaron. Glad you feel settled and accepted at your church. I hope you enjoy making friends here.

Timothy

azza81

Joined in 2010
August 25, 2010, 01:10

Timothy

That was the most Intelligent reply/response I have heard ever since coming out at the age of 21 8 years ago. Look everyone has different personality types preferences and im not asking for guys to change their preferences, but you know what since moving to ” Multicultural Melbourne” its the best because there are beautiful Gay men and Women from all different cultures/nationalities.

I know God has worked in my life and placed people who I never thought would be a friend or interact with, so for me I too have a lot of lessons to learn not to prejudge and most of all not to use “reverse racism” so believe me I have been confronted about these areas of improvement but it is done out of love.

Thank you and have a good day

Aaron

RaulG

Joined in 2010
August 26, 2010, 09:17

Hi love your reply and good sense of humour 🙂 all is good, thanks for your kind words and encouragement

Aaron

RaulG is our “Barnabas” = Son of Encouragement. He’s made me smile so many times with his lovely sense of humour and his unique way of seeing a situation. A “hermano querido.” indeed, he is.

:8)

Dawww, thank you guys!

Yours in Christ,

Raul

Nick

Joined in 2007
August 26, 2010, 12:08

Hi Azza,

Welcome to F2B. You cant tell in this post but I’m asian too 🙂

I always view growing up in Australia as an asian is a unique experience, especially if you came here as a child. As you grow older and into your teenage/university years I realised I’m not a typical aussie bloke nor am I a typical “native” asian bloke. I dont really like playing footy and drink beer, nor do i eat every meal with chopsticks. On top of that, I had to deal with the whole gay/christian issue as well. But I learn that no matter where you go there will always be people who like you and people who dont like you based on your race and culture. Its sad but it’s true. You may not be able to change the world but you can always change your outlook in life. And you will find great people around you who loves you just as you are.

Keep in touch, especially when you’re up in Sydney again.

Cheers

Nick

Rivers

Joined in 2008
August 26, 2010, 13:03

Hi Aaron,

When you said “Multicultural Melbourne” and the LGBT from all different cultures/nationalities, it reminds me of my experience last year in California at a conference for LGBT Christians (here’s the link to my freedom2b story by the way: http://www.freedom2b.org/topic/200?page=1).

There were people from the U.S., Mexico, Latin America, Asia, Europe and everywhere in between; people and families of all sexual orientations; and many from very different denominational backgrounds. It was a literal rainbow of people, but all with a common passion to worship Jesus and all hungry for the moving of the Holy Spirit and the presence of God, which drew them together and created an atmosphere of love and acceptance that was amazing to feel.

On earth there are many divisions between people, but in Heaven it is a “great multitude that no one can count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and the Lamb”, so our churches and gatherings should reflect that “on earth, as it is in heaven”.

I believe we will see more and more people come together and the barriers between us fall as we all learn to yield more to the Holy Spirit. At Babel the nations were divided and everyone spoke different languages and there has been confusion and conflict ever since, but on the Day of Pentecost, when the believers were filled with the Holy Spirit, everyone “heard them declaring the wonders of God in their own tongues” and the barriers between people began to fall.

I pray God will use you as a light of reconciliation, reconciling people back to God and to each other. Loving God and loving people (all people), is what its all about.

Bless you Aaron,

Timothy

azza81

Joined in 2010
August 26, 2010, 23:02

Hi Nick

Im glad your enjoying Sydney, look your right no matter where you go people will like you people wont , but keep in mind thoughts and prayers etc so that I may have a change of outlook and that God will bring people into my life that are good influence and christ like, you guys in Sydney are doing well, funny that since moving to Melbourne 2 and a half years ago everything seems to grow change and develop in Sydney

thanks for your encouragement

Aaron

N149

Joined in 2010
August 27, 2010, 12:34

Hi Aaron!

Welcome welcome welcome!

Awesome of you to share your story. I know it took me courage too. Shows your personality 🙂

Shan

Page:   1 2 3 4

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.093 seconds.