Forums

GAY ASIAN - AUSTRALIAN PROUD FROM SYDNEY-MELBOURNE

Page:   1 2 3 4

azza81

Joined in 2010
August 22, 2010, 22:08

My name is Aaron I am 29 and I currently live in Melbourne Victoria. My journey to Australia began in May 13 1987(From Philippines) to Sydney. My first school was in a public school in Mosman very affluent suburb in Sydney also very monocultural. The kids were welcoming although I thought I went to Australia for Holiday not to migrate. I knew I liked to be around boys at the Age of 6 but this was a more of crushes and daydreaming. In 1988 I moved to a catholic co ed primary school and I knew by the time I reached 7 years old, I developed a strong attraction towards males. In 1990 when I was in Year 4 I had a crush on the teacher who was on placement, I was one of his favourite students. In 1992 when I was in Year 6 I knew I was gay the anglo males used to call me chinky Chinese, (although I wasn’t) go back home I was yelled, pushed and spat upon. Believe it or not even though i am camp most times I never did barbie dolls cubby houses or dress ups lol, I was quiet during primary school because I knew I has same sex attracted.

I then did another 6 years at a private catholic boys school in a middle class suburb of Chatswood, by the time I reached year 11 1997, a letter of how I felt towards one of my good friends decided to post and circulate a semi love letter I wrote to him, this went on to Year 12 which is why I only got average marks at the HSC. I knew I was sexually active but had no avenues to explore with another guy.

May 2002 I finally came out to my parents at the age of 21, what they didn’t realize how much damage I have received for the psychological abuse from Anglo males. As a GAM(Gay Asian Male) I had to do a second coming out as 5- 10 years ago being Asian in the gay community particularly in Sydney was seen as unattractive and undesirable I was made to feel like a second class citizen. Till today I know subconsciously I still struggle with these most times. What I realize is that I had no satisfaction from the gay clubbing scene and found more gay friends through christian networks. Often as an ethnic gay man who grew up in Australia then trying to fit in the gay party scene was not easy, often I and my other brothers and Sisters would be judged for being ethnic or indigenous often overlooked.Since relocating to Melbourne just over 2 years ago i realise homosexuality is not a “white “ thing and I am not alone I also felt my journey with God was and is restoring I have met accepting gay christian men in 2 years. Why would I want to be picked on and yelled at and ostracized. Nobody no matter what orientation they are should NOT have to put up with exclusion/sexual racism. I am who I am and I know I am attracted slightly more into Caucasian gay men but I didn’t choose this, this isn’t a choice after all I have lived in Australia for almost 24 years. I am still a working progress and on a journey to feel more comfortable in my own skin. To all gay men and Lesbians of an ethnic background be proud be unashamed of your heritage you have every right to be part of gay and Lesbian Community. There are beautiful people of all cultures/nationalities. I am now part of the Collins St Baptist Church Melbourne and happily settled

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
August 23, 2010, 15:15

Hi azza81

Welcome to f2b! 🙂

Thanks for sharing your story. It’s shameful and awful to hear how you were treated by fellow Australians. I’m so sorry to hear that.

We’re all the same really, irrespective of background, orientation etc, just trying to find ourselves and freely be who we are. It saddens me when we forget that and see differences instead. Focusing on the latter only succeeds in causing divisions, thus making others feel less than they are.

I hope you feel very welcome here.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

azza81

Joined in 2010
August 23, 2010, 21:24

Hi Ann Maree

Thanking you for hearing my story, all is good, working progress

Aaron

IanJ

Joined in 2009
August 23, 2010, 23:29

Azza!!

Thanks for posting your story- I agree with Ann Maree that you should have received more understanding and support from your schools, and community.

I think you already know that this an accepting, supportive place- so I hope that you will benefit from being here.

Ian

azza81

Joined in 2010
August 24, 2010, 11:32

Hi Ian

Yes I totally agree in fact I went to the very first meeting of freedom 2 be back in 2005 whilst still living in Sydney, they are a good bunch

RaulG

Joined in 2010
August 24, 2010, 18:31

Saludos Aaron,

I empathize with you on your collisions with bigots. As a man of color, I have felt the sting of both words and fists (and the occasional foreign object).

But I am glad that you have brotherhood and acceptance in the presence of the Body of Christ.

Welcome to f2b!

Yours in Christ,

Raul

azza81

Joined in 2010
August 24, 2010, 18:45

Hi love your reply and good sense of humour 🙂 all is good, thanks for your kind words and encouragement

Aaron

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
August 24, 2010, 19:57

Hi love your reply and good sense of humour 🙂 all is good, thanks for your kind words and encouragement

Aaron

RaulG is our “Barnabas” = Son of Encouragement. He’s made me smile so many times with his lovely sense of humour and his unique way of seeing a situation. A “hermano querido.” indeed, he is.

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
August 24, 2010, 21:12

Hi Aaron,

A friendly welcome from moi and thanks for sharing some of your journey.

Yep, our physical look and makeup doesn’t and shouldn’t define who we are or what we can achieve 🙂

azza81

Joined in 2010
August 24, 2010, 21:44

🙂 Thanks Pierre and to everyone who support and read my story, kindly and greatly appreciate it

Page:   1 2 3 4

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.075 seconds.