Forums

Gay-friendly Pastor Forced Out

Page:   1 2

forestgrey
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2008
December 7, 2011, 13:45

Some will have seen media reports regarding Rev. Matt Glover – a straight, Baptist Pastor in Melbourne – who has publicly expressed support for gay marriage. Matt is an extremely competent and respected pastor who is well known to many of the freedom2b family for his gracious support for our work. His stand has forced him out of his employment as a pastor of a vibrant local church.

At this challenging time for Matt and his family, freedom2b has expressed our appreciation and on-going support via messages and a specific monetary gift. Anyone who wishes to further support Matt are encouraged to utilize the appeal being operated by PFLAG. Go to – http://www.pflagaustralia.org.au/

Some of the detailed circumstances of this situation are not fully known and remain confidential. Some media reports and on-line chatter are inaccurate. freedom2b encourages conversations which are balanced and respectful to all.

Pastor Matt has access to this Forum and you are welcome to place messages of support on this thread.

~ david james (Secretary, freedom2b )

Princess _Fiona

Joined in 2011
December 7, 2011, 17:39

Hi

I'm thankful for reading this posting, as I posted late last night in "news around the world forum" I was upset after reading about Matt Glover. What was most upset to me was the comments that followed The Age article, sure I'm all for free expression but to see people tear each other apart is most distressing and brought me to tears. Thankfully this forum isnt one that does that!

What I want to say to Matt Glover is hard to put into words, but I'll start with this. Thank you so much from one woman who has struggled so much with painful experiences from her Christian brothers and sister. Your support and love, has impacted me in a way that for the first time I'm starting to realise that I am valued in the body of Christ. I'm so saddened that this has had such a huge cost attached to it for you and your family. People like yourself who are willing to stick there head up and speak up, bring so much healing to the hearts of those of us who are wounded as a result of our sexuality/spirituality journey. May you and your family, know Gods loving arms at this difficult time.

Like I said, its hard to find right words, the past 24 hours have so impacted me.

Hugs

Alan Hough

Joined in 2005
December 7, 2011, 18:11

Blessings to Matt and his family. Freedom2b is privileged to have Matt's support.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
December 7, 2011, 18:53

Hi all

Matt has been a great supporter of this site and the LGBTI and wider communities. As Princess_Fiona said, I also find it hard to articulate my feelings and the impact of Matt's contribution in our community.

I feel deeply saddened by what's happened. I know it hurts Matt and others very much. But as I said to Matt privately, those who wronged him can never take away from who he is and what he means to many. And maybe that’s small comfort but his good actions stand and can never be erased.

To Matt, I will echo what I wrote to him before. Matt, when I think of you, I feel encouraged. When I think of the stand that you and others like Rowland have taken, I feel hopeful. I’m recalling when Jesus was anointed by the woman in Matthew 26: 6-13. Remember how she was criticised by some of his followers for so-called ‘waste’? They couldn’t understand such an outpouring of love and I’m guessing it had a lot to do with her being a woman as well as her lack of restraint that made them uncomfortable. But an act of deep love like that is never wasted. It stays with the recipients and those who witnessed it forever. It goes beyond the the usual restrictions of time, space, conventions and cost. And to me the oil is such a sweet and healing reminder of her good deed. And so it is with you. Your good deeds for the LGBTI community are a great offering of love that can’t be snuffed out. You’ve brought healing to many that won’t be forgotten.

Something good will come your way. I definitely believe that.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

HillsBen
Youth Coordinator
Joined in 2008
December 9, 2011, 00:09

Hi Matt,

You have been an invaluable source of support for so many within freedom2b. You have been the voice of love, compassion and mercy when so many have been quick to pass judgement, condemn and hate us. You have inspired me to have faith in the church and in Christian leaders which at times was not easy for me to do.

It breaks my heart to hear about what happened and I wish I had the right words to say to make it all better. All I can say is that we are so very grateful for you and the love you have shown us. We care about you and know that God has something incredible around the corner for you and your family.

A particular passage in the bible comes to mind when I think of this situation:

"Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will recieve the crown of glory and life that God has promised to those who love Him" – James 1:12

Lots of love & hugs,

Ben G

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
December 9, 2011, 00:22

Dear Matt

Thanks so much for standing with us. It means a lot.

I’m sorry to hear that you been attacked for stating what you currently believe and for your actions.

When we look at the life of Jesus in the gospels we see a man who was also attacked. He was the great rule breaker and was constantly attacked by the conservatives and religious leaders of the day for mixing with wrong people and going to the wrong places. Does that sound familiar?

Jesus saw human beings not labels. His life and parables constantly remind us who are neighbours and how we can practically live out the command ‘Love your neighbour as you love yourself’.

Phariseeism is alive and well in the church of the 21st century and some continue to judge, condemn and separate themselves from people they consider somehow outside of God’s grace. I still find it surprising that Christians who claim to be people of the Word can’t see the similarities happening today.

I’m not sure this will be of enormous comfort but worth mentioning anyway.

When anyone from the Christian church actually stands on the side of the LGBT community they experience hostility, vilification, judgment and personal attack. By standing with us though you get to experience something that is an everyday experience for many gay and lesbian people. 85% of gay men and lesbians experienced harassment or violence during their lifetime, with one in four gay men and lesbians being physically attacked. Not for anything they have done but simply for being who they are. In the eyes of the attacker they are abnormal outsiders who do not deserve to be treated like everyone else, that is, with dignity and respect. This is not a special right the LGBT community are asking for, it is a basic human right.

Thank you for being like Jesus and being willing to show unconditional love it has not gone unnoticed by God and those who strive to be like the Master.

And once we have a new consciousness or understanding we are empowered. It’s impossible to retreat to a place of ignorance. Too much is at stake. TRUTH. And it was Jesus who said you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.

We so appreciate all you have been to so many in the LGBT community and to so many in the freedom2b family.

Much love and hugs to you and all the family.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Ambassador & Bridge Builders International

Author of 'A Life of Unlearning – A Journey to Find the Truth'

Co-founder of Freedom 2 b[e]

Honoured to be voted one of the 25 Most Influential Gay & Lesbian Australians (2007 & 2009) and finalist for the 2011 ACON Community Hero Award

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
December 9, 2011, 20:05

Hi Matt,

I have not met you personally, but as a fellow Baptist and member of the LGBT community in Sydney, I was very saddened by the recent news about your local Congregation.

I have read and heard many an inspiring story about your unwavering support for LGBT people and for the equality of gay marriage.

My prayers are with you and your family at this time, and as others have said, I know that something good and positive will arise out of this event to the glory of God, His people and to your community in Melbourne.

Thank you again for your commitment to LGBT people, and for your leadership and wise counsel in helping us grow in wisdom and knowledge and spiritual understanding.

Blessings in Christ

mrg

Joined in 2010
December 12, 2011, 14:35

Thanks for your support and encouragement everybody. It's been an incredibly difficult few months, and now I find myself asking what comes next.

Whatever is in the future work wise, I look forward to continuing the journey with my LGBT brothers and sisters. Thanks again for everything.

Matt

steveo

Joined in 2010
December 21, 2011, 20:20

Hey Matt

Im realy sorry to hear whats happened. I realy appreciated the time you took to meet me whenever i was in Melb. You have been such a voice of reason to me, as i figure my own journey out. You gave me courage. I wish you the best for the new path that will surely open for you and your family.

Duane

Joined in 2010
December 23, 2011, 16:55

Matt,

Thank you for being brave enough to take a stand amongst the tide of others that want to pull you back and silence you. I really admire and respect that you have championed this as your cause and authentically lived your Christian values. I can only imagine how hard it would be to have your leadership attacked in such away by the modern-day Pharisees out there.

Your support has meant and still means a lot to our community and hope we can offer you some of the love and encouragement you have shown us in this difficult time.

You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Duane

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.063 seconds.