Forums

gay guy, 32. saying Hi

Page: 1

troy

Joined in 2009
January 4, 2010, 20:56

Well I thought being a new year and all, that I’d finally write something and say hey to you all. So as this section is entitled ‘telling our stories”, here’s mine…

I grew up in a catholic family, and went to catholic schools but I got saved when I was 18, at a Kenneth Copeland Believers Convention, and God has been a massive part of my life ever since.

My Dad first introduced me to faith when I was about 15. After my parents split up, he got right into the Word and I thank God that he still is because he is about the only person in my life that I can talk about faith with and who understands what I mean.

I didn’t start seeing guys until I was 24, but it was more to do with hanging out with my straight mates and wishing that I was hetrosexual than anything to do with my faith. I dated a few girls, I got engaged to one and then we travelled over to the UK but we split up soon after getting there. I knew I’d always kind of liked guys and had messed around with a couple at school, so since I was on the other side of the world and none of my family or friends were around to judge me, I decided to give the gay thing a try. I remember sitting on the steps of my flat in the U.K. thinking I’ll give this a go for a year and see if it works for me, funny. but thats how I thought. Its been 7 years now and I’m still a gay guy.

I guess my story is a little bit different because I’ve never been a part of a real bible based church. I tried going to one church for a while and it was great, but then the questions started coming up like “so why arent you married” and I ended up leaving before they had the chance to reject me. ( or the chance to accept me either, I just didnt have the balls to hang around and find out which way it would go)

To be honest though, I really wish I could be part of a church. I’ve got loads of great friends and have a really fun life but I would love to make some christian friends and I’d love to have a relationship with a gay christian guy but I gotta tell you on all my travels, I am yet to meet any!

I’ve had long term relationships with a few guys who have been gorgeous, sweet, awesome people, and they are still really good friends of mine, but I have always wondered what it would be like to be with someone where we are able to pray together, go to church together and share each other’s lives in Christ. That just sounds like heaven to me.

All of my friends know that I’m “a god botherer” (I actually like that term) and they listen to my opinions on things but still, its a pretty lonely place to be. For the last 14 years, my faith walk has just been me and Jesus and I get my word fix through praying, reading the bible and downloading sermons and listening to them on my IPOD. God’s done some awesome things in my life and I’m so thankful I walk with him but it would just be good to know there are some other people out there who are my age and like me in that way.

I guess that’s what brought me here. If anyone knows of a church that they think I might like in Brisbane, I’d love to hear about it. I also travel to Melbourne for work a week out of every month so one down there would be cool to try too.

Anyways, thats about it so thanks for listening 🙂

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
January 4, 2010, 23:23

Hi Ryan

Thanks so much for sharing your story. I live in Melbourne and although I don’t go to church a few people have enjoyed Ps Rob Buckingham’s Bayside churches. They’re in Cheltenham, Frankston and South Melbourne. Ps Rob recently spoke affirmingly toward the GLBTIQ community which has been spoken about on this site.There are also quite a few people from QL here who will probably be able to recommend churches in Brisbane.

I too found my gay self in London. I was there for 6 years. Which parts were you based in?

I look forward to hearing more from you.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
January 5, 2010, 03:17

Hi Ryan

Welcome to Freedom2b[e] and thanks for sharing your journey to date with us. Have you checked out MCC Brisbane? There are a few guys here on the forum who are based in Brisbane that might know what they are like as a church. It’s great that you see yourself as a ‘god-botherer’ amongst your non-christian friends; I think it’s actually a much better term than ‘bible-basher’ 🙂

Meyerink

Joined in 2009
January 5, 2010, 13:00

Hey Ryan,

Welcome to the forums. thanks for sharing your story. Its amazing how every journey is different yest the same. Great to hear of another Queenslander here. Too many of the Sydneysiders are taking over.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
January 5, 2010, 15:07

hey Ryan….welcome to our/your place…its great to have you with us….and thanks for sharing your story. it never ceases to amaze me how many of our stories are so different and yet can have many similarities.

Dont forget to subscribe to this threads like this then you’ll know when people reply.

Bayside has already been recommended when you are in Melbourne.

You’ll find a church in Brisbane in our rescources section……haven’t been there myself but maybe you could pay a visit. Its only a matter of time before there is a church in Brissie that does the same as Bayside.

blackjack

Joined in 2009
January 6, 2010, 16:49

Hi!

I don’t know Brisbane enough, but would you prefer a welcoming church or a bible-based church? I can tink of denominations to begin looking, or one in 8-mile plains with I know i definitely bible-based, but not accepting.

– P.

man in confusion

Joined in 2009
January 6, 2010, 18:52

Hi Rayan, i hope you find what you need from friends and a church to refuge to ..We all need God’s intrusion to modify our way and placing us on right path..By the way, any1 knows about a church here in sydney or closer areas that help christian men and women with this struggle?

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
January 9, 2010, 16:45

i would recommend Ps Mike Hercock at Darlinghurst Baptist.

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.037 seconds.