Forums

Gay marriage passes first reading in New Zealand!!!

Page: 1

J

Joined in 2012
August 29, 2012, 19:37

We've done it NZ, we are now one step closer to LGBT people having the right to get married. The bill will now be considered by a select committee before facing two further votes – so there is a long ways to go, but as of 9:22pm (15 minutes ago), Parliament voted in favour of the first reading for Louisa Wall's Marriage (Definition of Marriage) Amendment Bill with 80 aye's (yes) versus 40 no's.

There were many MP's clapping and getting up out of their seats when each MP spoke of their support for gay marriage at the end of their speech.

For more info:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/7575137/Bill-passes-first-reading

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/gay-marriage-bill-passes-first-vote-5051085

I will update this as more information comes in but all I can say is woooooooooooooooooooooooooohooooooooooo.

Edit: Below you can find some of the many great speeches of the MP's on the Marriage (Definition of Marriage) Amendment Bill

http://inthehouse.co.nz/node/14795

I will be sure to email all 120 MP's yet again, and this time include not only more of my personal story, but my view on what true Christianity is (because many of the opposing views were based on religion and I have personally struggled with this my whole life as well until recently) and that the time has come for EVERYONE to be treated as an equal.

HillsBen
Youth Coordinator
Joined in 2008
August 29, 2012, 21:26

Woohoo! This is such GREAT news. You must be a proud Kiwi tonight. 🙂

Sophia Chokhmah

Joined in 2011
August 30, 2012, 03:24

Yay!!! I am certainly a proud Kiwi anyway 🙂

J

Joined in 2012
August 30, 2012, 05:06

Quote from HillsBen on August 29, 2012, 9:26 pm

Woohoo! This is such GREAT news. You must be a proud Kiwi tonight. 🙂

Oh I am! 😛 Although I heard on the news that it was on last night, I didn't know at what time specifically it was on Parliament TV, and I think I missed quite a few speeches by the various members of parliament before I found out

So throughout the whole day I was trying to find out at what time the debate was, then I suddenly got word that it was on Parliament TV live (I soon found out my TV wasn't tuned to it so I immediately ran the digital tuning program lol), so I rushed into my room, flicked on the telly, tuned it to Parliament TV, and was able to watch a good 30-40 minutes worth of amazing speeches.

Apparently the Marriage Bill was expected to have only 67 yes votes in the end, but after hearing so many positive speeches, some MP's had changed their original no vote to a yes vote. It was amazing to watch and hear. If I had a recording device I would have recorded it, it was truly inspiring.

I just hope and pray the Bill passes into law!

Mother Hen

Joined in 2011
August 30, 2012, 21:42

Awesome Bro, sweet as 🙂

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
August 30, 2012, 21:43

That's exciting Jordan. Fingers crossed the bill is passed. 🙂

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.036 seconds.