Forums

Great conversation with my father.

Page: 1

sman

Joined in 2009
August 3, 2009, 01:48

I spoke with my father today about Freedom 2 b(e) and here is a man who believed Homosexuality was a sin. Over time his life and family have changed. He was so open to hear what I have learnt from this site and is so thankful God is changing his heart for these things. My father was a leader of our church for many years with very strict views on all matters. He served on the board of a church and within the eldership of many others. A very wise man in many matter but a few he was stuck as most AOG leaders are.

But the turning point has me being honest with him about my sexuality. He learnt that if he can accept his son he must accept others. And since then I have seen my father witness to a few different Gay couples. Never would have I see this day when I sat at the dinner table and spoke about how I believe that Homosexuality is not a sin. He was open to hearing what I said and fascinated with it too.

Now my father is not the norm for a lot of families. I praised my father tonight for being a parent that is very rare in AOG church. His eyes are opened and I was so proud of myself for being so brave and saying this. I wanted to share my story with him of how I came to understand that our sexual orientation is not a sin and that Jesus doesn’t look at us because of our sexuality but he loves us for who we are. I am very blessed. After reading many stories on here I have seen how so many families have turned their backs on their family members. I feel your pain if that is one of you reading this. I know even writing this is can be hard for some to hear how my parents have grown but I needed to share this.

If my father can sit, listen and then challenge himself on this issue there is hope that the church can change. I have had such an amazing response from a few different people, I feel blessed to have been an encouragement for some and a listening ear for others. God has created me for this reason to be an ear to listen, a shoulder to cry on and a heart to understand others pain. I am thankful that God showed me this site, an amazing place of acceptance and hope for so many

SteveTL

Joined in 2007
August 3, 2009, 14:36

Brought a tear to my eye this did! Such a blessing for you.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
August 4, 2009, 10:06

You are so blessed Shane……another sign of the enormous shifts that are happening in Pentecostal churches these days.

I’m particularly thrilled to know that our space here has been of further benefit.

How exciting.

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.025 seconds.