Forums

Has the church changed it's position since 1989?

Page: 1

HillsBen
Youth Coordinator
Joined in 2008
July 4, 2012, 20:35

Hi all,

SameSame just posted this article and an old video from 1989 of a cleansing march up Oxford St in Sydney that Fred Nile and many other Christians took part in.

Has the church moved forward and become more loving and understanding of same-sex attracted people or are there still people like Fred preaching a message of condemnation and hate?

Has the LGBTI community become more respectful in discussions with certain Christian groups and people who do not agree with us?

I’m interested to hear your thoughts? Are we moving forward and entering into a more respectful dialogue or are we experiencing 1989 all over again?

Link to article: http://www.samesame.com.au/news/local/8608/Flashback-In-1989-Fred-Nile-tried-to-cleanse-Oxford-St.htm

forestgrey
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2008
July 4, 2012, 23:43

If we could plot any change on a line chart, we would find a ragged line – one with rises (improved acceptance) and falls (drops in acceptance) in it.

But I suspect that the overall trend would be upwards. Presently, and especially in Queesnland, we are seeing a fall back, but I believe that will change in time. The rearguard action by ultra-conservatives will eventually lose its steam.

Of course, its really impossible to prove one way or the other with real scientific accuracy.

ShadowBoxer
Joined in 2005
July 5, 2012, 08:49

What we are seeing in QLD though is a Political change – prompted by some churches.

I dont think that there is a massive "Change" in QLD per se' – the churches that were welcoming still are and Im watching the situation closely. The government there is also turning on women generally (removing funding from a number of womens health initiatives including cancer prevention). The General population's opinion hasnt change and I suspect the government may lose its mandate quickly if they allow these type of policies to continue.

Generally though there is general improvement in other states. Unfortunately – that tends to make the die hards fight harder but that actually alienates the general population more.

Its the same thing that happened with other moral issues such as Slavery, Votes for Women and so on and in time those who stand for morality and ethics will win over the reactionaries. There will always be those who oppose it just as there are still a tiny minority now who resent woman working (I know – I have argued with some of them), who mourn the loss of the civil war and the end of slavery and think women shouldnt vote.

These are NOT moralists or ethical people although they will tell you they are. Just as those who say that Gays shouldnt marry will tell you the same. And as they lose ground they resort to worse tactics… However in General I think the church is Softening slowly – the louder noise is the sound of desperation as they lose ground.

Mother Hen

Joined in 2011
July 5, 2012, 11:50

A bit like a stock market graph hey Forestgrey 🙂

I think it general we are seeing a positive move and more acceptance from churches towards LGBT people. Like most things in life there are ups and downs, as long as it keeps moving forward.

God Bless

Ash

Joined in 2012
July 5, 2012, 12:51

Quote from PhillWall on July 5, 2012, 8:49 am

the louder noise is the sound of desperation as they lose ground.

Couldn't agree more

RQC

Joined in 2012
July 5, 2012, 19:15

I'm starting to see more Christians who don't have a problem with homosexuality saying to anti-gay Christians; "You don't speak for me." I believe it's a move by God with his people.

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.029 seconds.