Forums

Hello?

Page: 1

Anna

Joined in 2012
April 9, 2012, 18:15

Hi All

I have joined this site in an attempt to find where I fit I the Christian world. My husband and I have not attended church for about 10 years due to the constant bigotry and judgmental attitudes that seem to be everywhere. I am not sure if I should be here so please tell me if I am overstepping here.

My story is a long one but I will try to be brief. My parents seperated when I was very little and my father lived with his 'best friend' in another state. Around my 20th birthday I realised that my dad was gay and had been in a loving relationship this whole time. I was quite upset, not because of his sexuality but because I had spent so long hoping that he would find a partner and worrying about him being lonely. All was fine though as it was a relief to know he had been in a loving relationship that whole time. Unfortunately that relationship ended soon after and Dad spent a few years single. He now has an amazing partner who loves and respects him, as we still live in different states it is such a weight off my mind to know he is in a loving relationship with a wonderful man and to see him so happy.

My mum has also remarried and has been happily married for many years so in my family it is all happy endings, we are truly blessed

I also teach in a school that is very multicultural and as a result I interact with many people of different religions. I would really like to get involved in a Christian community again but am very wary of attending anywhere as they must a)support gay relationships and gay marriage, b) be accepting and respectful of other religions and c) be fairly local so I feel connected to my local community.

I am located in bayside Melbourne and I think the reason this is weighing so heavily on my mind is because we are finally about to have our first child and I want him to be involved in a loving christian community.

Anyway I hope to be able to contribute to your community.

Anna 🙂

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
April 9, 2012, 19:22

Hi Anna

It's so great that you've found us here and posted your story. Thanks for doing that – you never know how many will read your story and feel supported as a result.

Can you post your story in the Telling Our Stories section as well so that more people see it?

I don't attend a church either but there are others here who may be able to suggest some places to try. What kind of church service do you prefer? We also have monthly f2b meetings on the third Fridays of the month in Melbourne so feel free to find out more about those if you like. You can send a private message to Michelle who runs these meetings with partner, Linda.

I very much like your acceptance of our community and openness to other cultures and ways of life.

I look forward to hearing more from you. 🙂

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Anna

Joined in 2012
April 9, 2012, 19:44

Wow thanks for the super quick response and lovely welcome. I will post over in our stories now. I would be very interested in attending the meetings you suggested. How do I find a member to message them?

In regards to what type of service I prefer, to be honest I am not too sure. Probably not one that is hugely evangelical, as I tend to find it all a bit awkward, I like the idea of a hub group but worry that it wouldn't give me the bredth of theology and sense of a broader community that I am craving.. I don'tthink I will want to attend every week as we are already pretty busy (but perhaps our priorities will change once bubba is here). Am I making sense? I tend to be a bit scattered at times. 🙂

Chris
Administrator
Joined in 2009
April 9, 2012, 19:52

Hi Anna!

You can send a message to Michelle by clicking on her profile link here. I am in Sydney but I have visited the Melbourne meeting once and had a blast. I remember a few other straight supporters being there at the time, which was great to see.

You might also be interested in looking at these videos which Ben posted to our forum: http://www.freedom2b.org/forums/video-bayside-tv—real-christianity-is-accepting-incl.-james-hilliers-story-and-discussion-t1511/

Bayside church in Melbourne has made some impressive gestures in recent times to reach out to the LGBTI community. Is that near you? Admittedly I've not kept tabs on how things are going there since this sermon was first preached. I imagine even if the main service isn't your thing, it seems large enough to run a few different groups/activities.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
April 9, 2012, 20:36

Above posts have been moved to Telling our stories under Searching for a Safe Place to Fit in.

Please post your responses there so as to keep the thread together in one place.

Thanks very much,

Ann Maree

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.093 seconds.