Forums

Help me name my workshop? - I need a good title

Page:   1 2

HillsBen
Youth Coordinator
Joined in 2008
April 23, 2010, 12:24

Hey AVB,

I am excited that you will be presenting a workshop. I think you should call it ‘Walking between Worlds’. Adding to the credibility of Iain’s exhibition and communicating effectively that the gay world and the christian world are often miles apart. Those caught in between are often those forgotten.

Up to you buddy. Whatever you choose I am sure it will be fantastic!! =)

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
April 23, 2010, 16:01

thanks everyone for your input

Decided to go with Walking Between Worlds. As this is very much what many of us have had to do from faith backgrounds. Also I can use the stories and possibly some of the images from Iain’s exhibition and catalogue emphasise the difficult journey LGBT people of faith and religion must often go through.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/Walking-Between-Worlds/205798645003?ref=ts

this will also make the many hours of work Iain put into the exhibition continue to have an impact.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
April 23, 2010, 18:13

Lovely! Thought that title was familiar…and yes, will link beautifully with Iain’s work. And I like the reference to the 2 worlds and the travelling between. Yay! 🙂

forestgrey
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2008
April 23, 2010, 21:34

AVB – G’day!

Heading chosen – so that’s fine. But can I be so bold as to comment on one point in your topic outline?

Fourth dot point re “non-judgemental” . . . .

I’ve noticed that some gay people (often in professional positions where they really should know better) are so “anti-Christian” that they are no better than some of the fundamentalist Christians who are “anti-gay”.

They have developed such an ‘anti’ mindset that they can’t conceive that it is possible to be gay AND have a faith (especially a Christian faith).

So, if they find themselves (professionally or otherwise) assisting a gay person who also acknowledges some interest in faith, the response is to dismiss/attack/disparage faith/Christianity/the church/even God !!! Quite un-professional if in a counselling-type context or any helping-type role.

Hopefully, your seminar can “take the scales off their eyes” and remind them to be professional/objective/respectful.

Bless ya!

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
April 23, 2010, 21:43

Decided to go with Walking Between Worlds. As this is very much what many of us have had to do from faith backgrounds. Also I can use the stories and possibly some of the images from Iain’s exhibition and catalogue emphasise the difficult journey LGBT people of faith and religion must often go through.

Sounds great! I’m sure the workshop will be a huge success 🙂

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
April 23, 2010, 22:16

Lovely! Thought that title was familiar…and yes, will link beautifully with Iain’s work. And I like the reference to the 2 worlds and the travelling between. Yay! 🙂

…..and the powerpoint that I will commence the workshop with will create the context perfectly.

http://gayambassador2.blogspot.com/

Possibly this will also cover the things you have mentioned forestgrey. Very familiar with the anti’s on both sides. It has taken me a substantial amount of time and effort to get credibility (even a listening ear) in the LGBT community. Initially not one LGBT community leader or gay press representative attended my book launch with over 300 people. that was hard to take. But showed me how anti people were and how irrelevant they thought the message was. Thank God Michael Kirby came and wrote the foreword to my autobigraphy.

I still have my enemies and opponents in the LGBT world……as reflected in the comments in this leading LGBT site in the US when I released my last article the other week. There are toxic people in both camps.

But I think we can safely say things are changing in both worlds……that is what I am working towards.

had a huge breakthrough this week which I’ll be able to let you know about soon.

Mags

Joined in 2012
July 8, 2012, 15:47

what happens between the covers (more to Lgbt than you think)

J

Joined in 2012
July 8, 2012, 18:28

Not sure if this is still going, but here are some suggestions. Not sure if any of them will help, but I think 'Missing Pieces'. 'Accepted' and 'Vulnerable, Exposed and Liberated' sums up my personal journey of finding myself (Temet Nosce also means 'Know Thyself' in latin). I actually can't think of which title should be used, as there are so many good ones suggested already. I have highlighted my personal favourites in the list below anywho. Good luck with your final decision!

Accepted

Missing Pieces

The Whole Truth (and nothing BUT the truth)

Vulnerable, Exposed, and Liberated

Forgiven

Vindicated

Temet Nosce

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.063 seconds.