Forums

Hillsong church and Catholic church reaffirm anti-gay positions

Page: 1

HillsBen
Youth Coordinator
Joined in 2008
October 19, 2014, 18:53

Early last week we saw articles in the news and on tv about the Catholic church changing its position on homosexuality. See article – http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/local/wp/2014/10/13/vatican-meeting-see-the-positive-even-in-irregular-families/.

Later in the week we saw similar articles which said that Hillsong had softened their stance and was "on the journey" to supporting marriage equality and that gay people were welcomed. See article – http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/17/hillsong-church-gays_n_6002762.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000051

Many of us responded in joy and excitement that finally these two influential (yet different) church institutions were changing their old positions on homosexuality and becoming more gay-friendly and loving. We were filled with hope!

Sadly, this weekend we have seen both churches clarify their position on the matter and confirm that they still do not support marriage equality and that they still hold traditional anti-gay beliefs.

Hillsong issued a statement on their website – http://hillsong.com/media/statement-re-recent-media-comments-on-homosexuality where Brian Houston clarifies

"Nowhere in my answer did I diminish biblical truth or suggest that I or Hillsong Church supported gay marriage… My personal view on the subject of homosexuality would line up with most traditionally held Christian views. I believe the writings of Paul are clear on this subject".

The Catholic church on friday night removed talk of "welcoming gay people" from Synod papers – http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/18/catholic-bishops-backtrack-on-gay-welcome with the Guardian article commenting:

"A paragraph entitled “pastoral attention to people of homosexual orientation” – itself a distinctly cooler tone than “welcoming homosexual persons” – refers to church teaching, saying there can be “not even a remote” comparison between gay unions and heterosexual marriage".

These clarified positions are upsetting for many of us and after being full of so much hope I am upset and angry. These statements do not place any value on LGBTI people or our relationships. Sadly, they communicate that we are not welcome and we will not be included. 🙁

I think it's a good time to remind people that you are not alone. You are loved and support is available. Call Lifeline on 13 11 14 or check out the support resources and links on this website!

Tim617x

Joined in 2014
October 20, 2014, 21:59

this is not suprising for me. in my opinion it will take at least another 20 years for the mainstream church to change their stance on this issue. They need to get rid of people like tea party liberal MP Louise Marcus and Joel Abell! they have many problems in their ministry which need to be dealt with. their attacking and condemning of gay people is just one of many issues in their church! If they were serious about being contemporary they would also be contemporary on social issues which they are not at all! They need to get rid of Louise Marcus and endorse Bill Shorten for Prime minister!

forestgrey
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2008
October 21, 2014, 00:42

We just can't expect long-established institutions to change quickly. As much as we might want them to. But, both the ancient Catholic Church institution, and the relatively young AOG/ACC, have actually moved a little bit. We know that there are signs of difference amongst key leaders &/or pastors/priests on the issues. And there are certainly less dogmatic views – even quite tolerant views – amongst the laity. Change WILL happen, indeed, IS happening. We must keep nibbljng away at fixed views based on ignorance.

HillsBen
Youth Coordinator
Joined in 2008
October 21, 2014, 15:35

Hi Tim617x and welcome to the f2b forums. 🙂 Thank you for your comments and insight. I agree about them needing to distance themselves from certain politicians and political parties.

Also agree with what you have said forestgrey. It takes a long time for institutions to change. I just hope they realise that their stances on homosexuality and marriage equality are becoming more and more irrelevant by the day. They risk losing an entire generation.

Did anyone else read today's article 'Debating My Gay Marriage? Don't Do Me Any Favors' in the Huffington Post. This describes the frustration that many gay Christians are feeling. Well worth a read – http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-raushenbush/dont-do-me-any-favors_b_6014926.html?utm_hp_ref=religion

I particularly like this quote from the article:

But I will no longer hope for their approval. I know I was beautifully made by God and that my relationship with Brad is blessed. They can call me when the debates are over and they can (finally) see that as well.

and this one too:

The conversations at Hillsong and the Synod seem more and more divorced from the reality of gay people, who are their family, friends and neighbors.

cheval319

Joined in 2014
October 21, 2014, 16:27

I understand that this back and forth is a slap in the face for many of you.

I also understand that the younger you are, the more frustrating you find this.

I think that it is encouraging that the conversation is happening.

I know that the under 30s at my church feel quite differently to the older members. However, some of those older members are dealing with their children coming out. So they are being challenged to think differently.

Our pastor has been asked by the elders to investigate this issue. I've spoken with him and he says that many pastors are thinking about it, but are very wary of being attacked by both sides – not going far enough and going too far!

I truly believe that this requires much prayer and many one-on-one conversations. I think the change happens one person at a time.

Encourage your friends and relatives to communicate with their local members of parliament. I don't think the marriage question will be resolved in churches. Australia already formally recognises same sex relationships. Marriage is the next step.

HillsBen
Youth Coordinator
Joined in 2008
October 23, 2014, 16:16

I agree cheval319 with what you said

I truly believe that this requires much prayer and many one-on-one conversations. I think the change happens one person at a time.

Despite the setbacks and the frustration, I do believe that God will reform the church and that change will happen. For those of us who pray, let's keep praying and believing! 🙂

Tim617x

Joined in 2014
November 8, 2014, 16:40

I will be the first labor candidate to attend hillsong church! I will be running against Liberal MP Scott Morrison in the Sutherland shire electorate of cook! Labor for cook! If you live in that area my name will be on the ballot paper! Vote 1 Tim Gordon!

Tim617x

Joined in 2014
November 10, 2014, 11:27

I'm believing for the name above every other name, JESUS to right the worongs and bring injustice to his perfect justice! I truly believe that inequality does not come from God and God wants every human to have equal rights and be treated absolutely equally!

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
November 16, 2014, 22:41

Hi Ben

I think this reinforces that no matter whether attending a church or not, and no matter what our beliefs, we need to be strong and find our truth within and hold to that. We can't look to others to affirm our truth and worth. I agree, Ben, that it's disappointing that these parts of the church are still not able to accept homosexuality and gay marriage. However it's perhaps an opportunity for us to hold steadfast to our own truth regardless of where they are at in their journeys with this. And I believe that one day they will be accepting, so there is hope for that at least.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.034 seconds.