Forums

Hollywood hasn't helped us much

Page: 1

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
August 14, 2010, 00:26

Does this explain some negative attitudes we and others have had about homosexuality.

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
August 14, 2010, 00:52

Yeah, I have noticed that in most films the villain is either gay, or like they said the foppish type. Which is quite possibly a contributing factor to some people’s impressions of what gay people are like.

Interesting video, anyway.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
August 14, 2010, 14:30

Hi there

I disagree. I mean, aren’t there a fair few LGBT people in Hollywood? I can think of quite a number of positive films and programs with LGBT themes and main characters.

What about these: The Bird Cage, Tootsie, Mrs Doubtfire, Imagine Me and You (albeit English), All About My Mother (ok, that’s spanish. One of my fave films incidentally, with director, Almadovar as a favourite also for his work), Will and Grace, Guiding Lights leading to Venice (Otalia fans know what I’m talking about). And then there’s underlying homoerotic themes in Batman and Robin, Xena and Gabriel in Xena Warrior Princess. And look at Frasier. OK the 2 brothers aren’t gay as characters but check them out for gayness!! They’re seriously camp and completely beloved and accepted like that.

Those are just some off the top of my head. I’m sure others can think of many more positive portrayals and leading characters beyond these.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
August 14, 2010, 21:12

I’m going to play the devils advocate on this one 0:)

I think there are definately some negative attitudes towards gay people as portrayed by Hollywood, however, I also agree with Ann Maree on her insights into positive role models by gay characters. It really depends on the genre of the film in my opinion. If it’s a comedy and we can laugh along with the “gay” characters then that’s got to be a positive thing.

Holy Brokebat Mountain! Are Batman/Robin and Xena/Gabriel really gay lovers??? :O :bigsmile: 😉

Postscript: There’s also an old post on this forum for a lesbian Batwoman;

http://www.freedom2b.org/topic/365

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
August 15, 2010, 17:43

Hehe. Pierre, you make me laugh! 😀

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
August 18, 2010, 16:38

yep……..increasingly gay character are more positive…..albeit sometimes stereotypes……which of course exist as well.

I think GLAAD does a good job of monitoring this. http://www.glaad.org/mediaawards

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.075 seconds.