Forums

I'm resigning My Church Membership

Page:   1 2

justincrawford

Joined in 2008
October 17, 2008, 22:40

Hi all, its been quite a while since I posted here. I have reached the point in my life where I no longer feel able to attend structured religious organisations, in other words a “church”, and even if I was the one in which I am currently a member is a Charismatic/Pentecostal denomination where they have attempted to “heal” me of my “illness”. Therefore I am posting my resignation letter on here to get some feedback from you all. I want it to sound polite, to the point and not exactly dripping of bitterness and sarcasm. I would appreciate your feedback

Dear Church Elders/Overseers

It is with great regret that I feel the need to write this letter, however as I haven’t been attending on a frequent basis for over three years now, I feel the time is right to set some issues to rest from my past.

As some of you may be aware, and those in church management surely do, I had been battling with issues regarding my sexual orientation for many years prior to attending , and during my attendance there also. These issues were so severe that I suffered from chronic low self-esteem, depression and suicidal thoughts and attempts. I sought refuge in God’s arms and love and begged and pleaded with him to “heal” me of this “illness”. This begging and pleading pretty much started when I attended at age 17 until I left at age 21. Therefore that was 4 years of me working alongside God, trusting in Him that he would “make me straight”.

At age 21, the phrase “I had had enough”, doesn’t quit cover it. I was furious with God that he hadn’t healed me and being told by members that I “just needed to trust in Him”,“I didn’t have enough faith” was a kick in the teeth to say the least and just an example of the biblical platitudes I had to endure – yet I knew there must be a reason. Therefore over the past three years I have been in therapy, learning how to finally grow to love myself, and have become an open, out and proud gay man. I understand now that I was not a mistake or a malfunction, and that I was born this way, in God’s image.

I realise that this last sentence will probably be a blasphemous statement to read, yet I’m afraid we will just have to agree to disagree.

I am writing to withdraw/resign my membership from . I no longer see the value in remaining a member of a church I no longer attend, and of which views homosexuality as an illness that requires God’s divine intervention. I am living with the damage and mental torture that religious organisations have done to me, therefore I ask that if any other person makes it known that they are battling with sexuality issues please do not attempt to “heal” them, they are not demon-possessed or deformed in anyway, doing so will only screw them up, and make them retreat even more into a world of denial, guilt, anguish and self-loathing.

If you feel the need to discuss any of the contents of this letter you are free to do so, however the fact that I can count on one hand the number of times I have spoken to anyone from over the past three years speaks for itself I think.

Regards,

Justin

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
October 18, 2008, 09:10

I think its good, youre being honest without being rude, Im sure the guys will have some input. Its sad the church thinks we need to be exorcised or arent believing enough, thats just ignorance(sometimes chosen and sometimes just naivity) and a mix of self-righteousness talking but even so can be quite damaging sadly.

In a way I guess if someone was switched on enough, Jesus and the Apostles just cast anything out with a word or two or after some prayer, so if nothing happens, shouldnt one think “hey maybe it isnt demonic?” also their are few instances recorded where that was actually needed.

This demonising of everything and everyone so over abundantly reminds me of a story a Pastor once told, he was asleep in his motel room and woke up to find a dark, ugly looking thing staring at him in the corner of the room, broad shouldered and little 😈 , he asked his wife to get rid of it but she said “for goodness sake 🙄 you do it”, so he kept telling it to go in Jesus name but nothing, then he prayed and cast it and nothing, then he asked God if it was him having little or no faith and tried again and nothing, so about an hour later or so (yes amazing) he decided he would fall asleep after a prayer of protection.

Morning came, he opens his eyes and in the semi dawn light he sees the thing next to him 😯 , he lets out a yelp and his wife standing there with his “raincoat” says ” so was thisssss your boogey man?” 🙄 🙄 😆 True story.(maybe some details scanty 😳 )

Ignorance or not looking into something properly can make us make bad decisions, do or say crazy and sadly harmful things at times.

oooooo

Joined in 2006
October 18, 2008, 10:47

I think the letter is great. Personally I would include a challenge for them but then that is me. But yeh i think the letter is great.

Yeh i have heard that story mags, i laughed and laughed. I knew of someone who had that experience personally and laughed with them when they gathered their senses and lose their embarrassment.

Us pentecostals can be so funny at times LOL

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
October 18, 2008, 10:53

LOL yes we can, I think from memory, I tried to exorcise a shadow of a tree in my room as a baby christian yrs ago 😳 doh! 😆

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
October 31, 2008, 15:42

i miss this somehow Justin sorry.

I wasn’t sure if you were still attending this church or not.

justincrawford

Joined in 2008
November 1, 2008, 21:27

ive not attended for over three years now, but i kept getting mail from them talking about all the major decisions the church was making and my vote was wanted apparently and stuff like that, so it just made sense to close the door on that chapter of my life. I havent heard anything from them since i sent my letter, to be honest, im not expecting to.

gettingthere

Joined in 2008
November 2, 2008, 17:10

Wow, Justin, that’s great. It takes serious guts to be able to do something like that. 🙂 How are you getting along now?

justincrawford

Joined in 2008
November 2, 2008, 21:51

thanks gettingthere. well ive posted the letter and i havent heard anything back so i guess they dont want to discuss the contents of my letter, im not surprised to be honest

I just finished reading your story on here as well, i have to say i was shocked to read you were only sixteen, very wise writing for someone so young. God clearly has a plan for your life, with writing like that!

To answer ur question on how am i doing now? well slowly but surely im gettingthere, like urself. I love being gay, i love being out and proud, but i hate being single. Meeting genuine honest and caring gay men in scotland is like finding a needle in a haystack. and the gay christian scene is non-existent, so it sucks that i cant attend the meetings that some of the guys in Oz attend, they sound great and a real source of encouragement and support.

Anyway, enough of that, hope you are doing well, guess its kind of rough being gay at a christian school, i went to a catholic secondary so it was kind of similar.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
November 2, 2008, 23:25

sometimes its good to do something to get closure…sounds like a good move.

gettingthere

Joined in 2008
November 3, 2008, 00:02

thanks gettingthere. well ive posted the letter and i havent heard anything back so i guess they dont want to discuss the contents of my letter, im not surprised to be honest

I just finished reading your story on here as well, i have to say i was shocked to read you were only sixteen, very wise writing for someone so young. God clearly has a plan for your life, with writing like that!

To answer ur question on how am i doing now? well slowly but surely im gettingthere, like urself. I love being gay, i love being out and proud, but i hate being single. Meeting genuine honest and caring gay men in scotland is like finding a needle in a haystack. and the gay christian scene is non-existent, so it sucks that i cant attend the meetings that some of the guys in Oz attend, they sound great and a real source of encouragement and support.

Anyway, enough of that, hope you are doing well, guess its kind of rough being gay at a christian school, i went to a catholic secondary so it was kind of similar.

Thanks for the compliments. 🙂 I don’t want to hijack your thread by talking about myself, but I do have some replies in regards to my personal life that I would like to put somewhere else. My own thread – I’ll do it there.

Back to you though. I’m so glad to hear that you are getting closure and that you have accepted yourself. Your situation sounds kind of difficult and in some aspects I can relate. I too feel very isolated where I am. When I hear about places like F2b, I wish so badly there were places like that here. As hard as it must be to be single and not want to be, I would encourage you to keep waiting for someone who is good for you, as you seem to be doing already. It’s better to be single and have your life in order than to be with someone who makes your life a mess. And I’m sure that somewhere out there is a great guy you could be with. So often we think we are alone, but I think that’s mostly because we are so quiet about the way we feel. Almost certainly there is a guy in Scotland who has been going through something similar to you; he’s probably wondering why he’s so alone just like you are right now. If wonderful people showed up at our doorstep everyday, we’d never treasure them as we should. Just stay true to yourself and stay true to your standards. It’ll be worth it in the end.

Encouragement and support – goodness, I wish I had more of that here. I have support, but most of my supporters are people I’ve never met personally. I have a few friends who are supportive. I think there is more to being supportive than saying ‘that’s okay’. I can say it’s okay for somebody to lift weights, but that doesn’t mean I’m supporting him. Supporting that person would mean I get beside him and help to lift his weights as well. That is what true support is and I’ve had some friends who’ve supported me and it’s not always with gay issues. I think it’s important to remember that we have issues beyond being gay that also need to be dealt with and we need support with those things as well. But I have had some wonderful support. I wish I had more, but you know, I’m choosing to be satisfied with what I have been given. I don’t think many Christians could ever understand how being gay has strengthened my faith in ways that very few things can. After going through all that garbage I went through, I’m so convinced that God loves me and that really helps me get through the times when I don’t feel supported by others. I hope you too are at a place like that. 🙂

Anyway, sorry for writing so much. I’m a writer and I write long replies to things. It’s just my nature. Keep posting though; I’d love to hear more from you.

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.045 seconds.