Forums

Leading Employers Sign Up To Create Gay-Friendly Workplaces

Page: 1

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
March 1, 2010, 21:40

10 February 2010

Some of Australia’s highest profile employers have come out in support of a ground-breaking program which aims to make workplaces more responsive to the needs of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people.

Called Pride In Diversity, the new program has been created by ACON – Australia’s largest community-based LGBT health organisation – in partnership with Diversity Council Australia – the independent, not-for-profit diversity advisor to business – and London-based LGBT advocacy group Stonewall UK.

Officially launched today in Sydney by the Hon. Michael Kirby, the importance of the initiative has already been recognised by a broad range of leading Australian employers which have signed up as foundation members of the program. These include IBM, KPMG, ING Australia, Goldman Sachs JBWere, Lend Lease, the Department of Defence, the Australian Federal Police and Telstra.

http://www.acon.org.au/about-acon/Newsroom/Media-Releases/2010/5

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
March 1, 2010, 23:05

Well any improvements like this are certainly welcomed. I’m curious though how they’ll make things better for LGBT staff and what they’ll actually do that’s different.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
March 4, 2010, 21:47

This program has been in existence for a number of years. When I was in London this time last year I had a meeting with the people at Stonewall (UK gay rights organisation) …..and found it about it. Its a fantastic initiative…..and companies become quite competitive to begun Britains No.1 LGBT employer.

I had the privilege of attending the launch…and the wonderful thing is that someone on this forum is actually heading up the program.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
March 4, 2010, 21:54

Great, I hope we hear more! 🙂

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
March 6, 2010, 12:05

Wow, it’s great to know that someone on the forum is heading up this program for gay-friendly workplaces. I’ve checked out their website and the information is very insightful. The business case for a LGBT friendly workplace is very compelling!

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.025 seconds.