Forums

LGBT in Private Schools - Your stories Needed

Page: 1

alex

Joined in 2008
October 30, 2013, 12:30

Hi Everyone

I've been doing some work with Alex Greenwich the Independant Member for Sydney.

He's working to repeal the exemption that Private Christian Schools have which lets them expel LGBT students simply for being LGBT.

This can be a touchy subject and I respect differing views.

Alex Greenwhich would like to here what you have to say. Good or bad experiences about being LGBT in Christian schools.

If your interested in sharing your story feel free to message me on here or email me on [email protected]

Doesnt matter if you were a teacher or a student, your views are welcomed.

Thanks

Alex

centralcoast95

Joined in 2014
March 16, 2014, 20:07

My school was awesome. Best teachers and students; all really supportive towards making me feel comfortable with myself, with my relationship with God and with my relationship with others.

Dragunov

Joined in 2013
March 17, 2014, 13:06

My experiences were not in Australia but could be applied here.

A private school cannot expel a student for being of a different religion. You can choose a religion, but not your sexuality. My school preached that homosexuality was wrong from a Christian standpoint but pointedly avoided singling out students that were openly gay because this opened the floodgates to condemning non-Christian students; which were a significant minority of the student body and practiced their faith openly; eg praying, diet requirements, wearing headscarves/turbans/amulets etc. This was an uncomfortable compromise that still left many students feeling ashamed, but their study opportunities did not suffer at least.

Is it possible to use different religion as a legal argument against expulsion here? Even if the gay student is Christian could they state that they do not follow the school's particular denomination or interpretation?

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.024 seconds.