Forums

Media Discuss Ex-Gay Programmes

Page:   1 2

forestgrey
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2008
April 8, 2012, 18:14

Fairfax Media papers in Sydney & Melbourne today feature articles about Ex-Gay Programmes. freedom2b and some of our 'family' are quoted. Well done to all who contributed. Go to:

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/ministries-preying-on-gay-shame-20120407-1wif0.html

http://www.smh.com.au/national/healing-the-gay-worshipper-20120407-1wicq.html

ShadowBoxer
Joined in 2005
April 10, 2012, 08:03

Great Coverage !

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
April 10, 2012, 08:51

Thanks for posting this forestgrey. 🙂

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Stanza

Joined in 2012
April 18, 2012, 16:48

Here's Haydyn's (Liberty's pastoral worker) response to the articles. Basically writing a full paragraph on how freedom2b and AVB are not genuine Christians:

http://www.libertychristianministries.org.au/response-to-sun-herald-article/

About 4-5 individuals I know who have gone through his ministry freedom 2 have ended up in gay relationships after first seeking to overcome it, and I have (conversely) counselled some individuals who have come out of that ministry and expressed much consternation about what they had experienced there.

Just wondering who are these individuals that came out of freedom2be?

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
April 18, 2012, 17:50

Hi Stanza

The Liberty leader said:

About 4-5 individuals I know who have gone through his ministry freedom 2 have ended up in gay relationships after first seeking to overcome it, and I have (conversely) counselled some individuals who have come out of that ministry and expressed much consternation about what they had experienced there.

Well yes, I guess it wouldn't be surprising that people might end up in gay relationships if they're gay and true to themselves. 🙂 And as for the second part of his statement, I don't know any one organisation that's perfect, and we're certainly not.. so I'm guessing there might always be some who might disagree with us or have a grievance of some sort. Of course he doesn't state what the "individuals" experienced that caused the "consternation" which is vague and unhelpful. It's difficult to change what you don't know.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

sarab

Joined in 2011
April 18, 2012, 18:38

Wow – the papers should just reprint Haydn's whole response here and it would be the equivalent of givin him a shovel and telling him to keep digging.

Haydn does himself no favours in his response. I actually feel a bit sad for him.

He rejects the "cure" word – yet continues to use words like "overcoming" and even refers to "failure" to overcome.

This is agonising – so judgemental, so hurtful – so incredibly ignorant.

To refer to those who disagree with him as "haters" of his ministry or to refer to anyone as "claiming" to be Christian – just casts further light on his own willingness to cast judgement on others.

I think the best response is a quiet peaceful prayerful love for the Haydn's of the world – surely love has to be more transformative than hate?

Oh – and along with that love – a clear – decisive voice – a voice for justice – and for equity and prayer for those like AVB who indeed won't rest until such hateful ignorant organisations are indeed shut down.

Sarab

ShadowBoxer
Joined in 2005
April 19, 2012, 19:18

His response is pretty well written given the VERY THIN ICE that his position is based on….

I notice he focusses on the things he CAN rebut and ignores the things he cant like

"that none of these programs are run by accredited psychologists or psychiatrists. Critics, including medical professionals, say they can and do cause severe psychological harm".

Instead he falls back on the time honoured tactic of trying to slur the credibility of the people in the article – TOTALLY ignoring the fact the entire professional bodies condemn the practise…

I also note the comment he makes " Venn-Brown has made a number of appearances at churches and seminaries claiming to be a Christian and yet rejecting God’s healing power. " Now given even the Medical profession now believes we are Born gay – and that even the catholic church (or so I understand – however I cant find a citation for it tonight) accepts that people are born Gay – then to expect God to Heal us when he created us that way would rather rather seem to be less a rejecting of Gods Healing Power and more trying to Dictate to God how he should run the universe and telling him he did it wrong !" I think the Christian approach is God DOESNT make mistakes. So there is no rejection of Healing – its not needed.

AS for his closing statement "but rather than take the newspaper’s word for it, why not check Liberty out for yourself and make up your own mind with a genuinely open mind?" – Thats easy to answer – rather than take an untrained persons' controversial word for it – TAKE the word of The American Psychological Association (APA) (just as an example – there are other societies as well – not to mention Paul Martin is a professional) – however – the APA resolution on the matter can be read here

http://psychology.ucdavis.edu/rainbow/html/resolution97.html

Homosexuality is not a mental disorder and the APA opposes all portrayals of lesbian, gay and bisexual people as mentally ill and in need of treatment due to their sexual orientation;

and

"Our concern," stated Douglas Haldeman, Ph.D., President of APA's Society for the Psychological Study Of Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual Issues, "is that a person, especially a young person, who enters into therapy to deal with issues of sexual orientation should be able to have the expectation that such therapy would take place in a professionally neutral environment absent of any societal bias.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
April 19, 2012, 22:41

Hi Shadow Boxer

Thanks for your excellent points in response to the Liberty blog.

I wasn't aware the medical profession thought people are born gay. Can you say more about that?

Blessings,

Ann Maree

ShadowBoxer
Joined in 2005
April 19, 2012, 22:48

UUmmm – yes I can – but to do it justice – Ill need to do some proper Citations etc … so I might take a few days and put together a decent post over the weekend 🙂 In the meantime – if anyone has any good links on the topic if they post them below – Ill add them in as well !

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
April 20, 2012, 14:05

No probs, Shadow Boxer.. when you have time..

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.04 seconds.