Forums

Mel - 27 - Lesbian - Minister in training.

Page:   1 2

mel10

Joined in 2010
May 12, 2011, 15:53

So i took a pretty huge step yesterday, i came out to my pastor and church leaders in preperation for giving my testimony in front of the congregation. i was met with love and acceptence but by no means validation and was told that while ever im not practicing (the homosexual lifestyle) i would be free to move into ministry…. i could have been dishartened by this but in actual fact in suited me quite well, as im not in a relationship nor do i have any plans to be in one at the moment, nor do i believe in sleeping around im free to pursue gods path for me and when the time comes that i do meet the right girl, i know that it will be in god plan for me to leave my current church and move into whatever it is he planned for me…. its excting and scary all at the same time but i found my freedom πŸ™‚

i would also like to invite all freedom 2b members to my church when i give my testimony, i know it will take place in july but i have not confirmed a date as yet, when i have this and the location (as our church is in the process of moving buildings) i will post an ivitation to any and all who would be interested in coming along

what this experience has taught me is to trust in god completely, people can use law or dogma to make us feel sinful or wrong, but his love is complete and unfailing, he will meet us wherever we are in life and use as for his purpose, he loves us AS WE ARE! so in those darkest times when the world around u screams judgement run to the light because there is no condemnation in christ

much love x

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
May 12, 2011, 17:55

Hi mel10

I commend your courage and am glad that you received love from the church leadership, if not complete validation.

I wish you all the best when you give your testimony. It seems like a big thing that they’re allowing you to do that. πŸ™‚

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
May 12, 2011, 18:49

hey Mel…..thanks for posting this encouraging story.

BTW….what denominational background do you come from.

Here is an intro to my church consultancy doc that I think is relevant here. It comes from

Becoming a Welcoming & Affirming Church – 10 Issues Churches Will Have to Work Through

Churches questioning traditionally held beliefs and seeking to move to a place of welcoming LGBT Christians need assistance to ensure the dialogue is not high jacked by conservatives and that polarisation is minimised. Safe and respectful spaces need to be created to accommodate all people as we embark on this journey together.

History has shown the damage that occurs when those who seek to reach a new group are not informed of the history, culture or language of the people. Valuable years are lost and even though we learn from our mistakes there is a better way. Just as it is with taking the gospel to a foreign mission field so it is when we seek to reach out to the LGBT community. Negotiating these uncharted waters successfully requires education, wisdom and sensitivity.

To create a safe place and transition a congregation to welcome, accept and affirm LGBT people into their congregations will be quite a journey. It will take some very gracious non-judgmental straight Christians who are willing to say we don’t have all the answers and have the capacity to live with some ambiguities. On the other side it will take some very gracious, non-demanding gay Christians who are prepared to walk a journey over several years with their straight brothers and sisters.

Depending on the family, community and culture it can take many years for a gay or lesbian person to resolve their sexuality and come out. This is even more complex and intense if they come from a Christian background. Working through these issues as a faith community will also take time. There will be lots of dialogue and listening over several years in order to resolve these issues and create a place of safety and acceptance.

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
May 12, 2011, 20:26

Iwould love to know where you will be giving your testimony, might get a few people together if i can get there πŸ˜‰

RaulG

Joined in 2010
May 12, 2011, 23:18

Querida Mel,

While I am glad that you have had the courage to embrace who you were made to be by the Creator, I am saddened by our brethren’s reaction to you.

To be sure, all Christians (heterosexual and homosexual) must practice sexual discipline and restraint, but to lean on someone for being the person God made them to be , to reject them for being who they are? That is sad and flies in the face of both the OT and the NT.

The Bible does not condemn people for being gay (as you must well know). To reject people based on their God-given orientation, what an arrogant creature man is! For is it not written in Exodus 4:11:

Then the LORD said to him, β€œWho has made man’s mouth? Who makes him mute, or deaf, or seeing, or blind? Is it not I, the LORD?

I admire your commitment to sexual discipline and for elevating romantic relations to a level that the Lord would find pleasing. I only wish that your congregation would embrace the Lord and his Word as you have.

Yours in Christ,

Raul

mrg

Joined in 2010
May 13, 2011, 15:18

Well done Mel!

I’ve been a minister in training for nealry fifteen years now. Hopefully I’ll get it right one of these days!

Where abouts are you located?

mrg

mel10

Joined in 2010
May 13, 2011, 16:40

thank you for the document i will pass it on to my pastor,

im a relatively new christian and my church is pentecostal/charismatic? i suppose? as a group we are apart of OzReach.

My hope is to be the gracious gay christian u speak of, i understand that my congregation have years of learning that has been drilled into them and that attitudes wont change over night but im ready to stand in the gap for them and for my GLBT family and bring about greater understanding to both parties.

I believe in my leaders and they showed me there hearts, they have sworn to stand by me and for that im truely greatful πŸ™‚

mel10

Joined in 2010
May 13, 2011, 16:43

Yea its huge, but they are leaders with incredible hearts and i know im blessed to be given the opportunity…. thank you so much for your support ann maree πŸ™‚

mel10

Joined in 2010
May 13, 2011, 16:44

magsdee, i will be giving it in Newcastle NSW, final location to be published soon πŸ™‚

mel10

Joined in 2010
May 13, 2011, 16:47

thank you Raul

much love for your support in this matter

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.064 seconds.