Forums

Melbourne F2b April Meeting!

Page: 1

Linda
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2006
April 8, 2010, 00:38

Gooday All,

Hope you had a great Easter break! We had a fantastic March meeting with Rowland Croucher. It was wonderful to have 43 people come along and the feedback was nothing but positive, with many people touched by his words. The donation collected for ‘Urban seed’ ministries raised over $300 so thankyou for supporting this work.

This month we are showing a dvd Documentary called ‘Through My Eyes’. This film looks at personal experiences of how young people of same sex orientation feel in relation to being accepted by the church.

WHAT: DVD- “Through My Eyes” (Please see description below- Has Subtittles)

The church is at war over homosexuality. Will our youth be the casualties?

Through My Eyes provides an unflinchingly honest look at the role of today’s young Christians in the gay debate: what they really think, how they perceive the church, and what they wish other Christians knew.

Over two dozen young Christians agreed to share their private feelings, struggles, and experiences on camera. All of them have a personal stake in the debate. And all of them hoped that their stories might make a difference.

Created for Christians by Christians, Through My Eyes tackles one of the most controversial topics today with compassion and sensitivity, shining new light on the debate for people on both sides. It’s unlike anything you’ve seen before.

It’s a powerful, eye-opening experience you won’t soon forget

Info: http://www.throughmyeyesdvd.com/

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBMbNSyqwkA

WHEN: Friday 16th April 2010

TIME: 7.15pm for a 7.30pm start

WHERE: Victorian Aids Council Building

6 Claremont St,

South Yarra

Melways reference 2L J5

The entrance is at the side of the building. Just ring the door bell and we will come and let you in.

You are welcome to join us afterwards at La Porchetta, Toorak Rd South Yarra

Looking foward to seeing you

Linda and Michelle

Contact No. 0430045585 Do not hesitate to call us if you have any questions!

[email protected]

mrg

Joined in 2010
April 17, 2010, 14:35

It was a fun night!

The DVD was really good, but the discussion and hanging out for supper later on was great!

Looking forward to seeing you all next time…

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
April 18, 2010, 21:33

Glad you enjoyed it….great bunch of people…….I believe we have a tried and tested winning formula

1. 7.15 for a 7.30 start lets people know we commence on time and are not waiting around for late comers and don’t frustrate those who made the effort to get there on time.

2. 7.30 Introduction and welcome (particularly welcome first timers without singling them out). Encourage regular attendees to make first timers feel welcome.

3. Run through the evenings program so that people know they can stay as little or as long as they like and that dinner afterwards is optional.

4. Read the guidelines/mission statement. Even though it may seem repetitive it

a. reminds everyone why we are here

b. reminds everyone of our ‘cruise free’ policy so they feel safe and if people might consider using our space inappropriately then they know it’s not on.

c. states we are a network not a Christian organisation as such so those who have issues around faith don’t feel pressured

d. reminds everyone and particularly first timers we have no agenda except to offer support

5. Share any relevant Freedom 2 b[e] news E.g. forum discussions or stories or national or international news/events

6. 7.45 Evening program: Speaker, discussion or DVD

7. 8.45 – 9.00 pm Wrap up and invite people to join us for dinner if they like.

8. Formal finish allows people to leave at that point if they want to. Some people just want to attend a formal meeting at this stage and don’t want to connect. Others (the majority from my experience) are desperate to connect, develop genuine friendships and want to talk with others who understand their journey. For many people this is where the healing begins or is accelerated.

mrg

Joined in 2010
April 19, 2010, 00:43

I’m going to have to publicly disagree with you here AVB, and soundly put you in your place.

Yes, the format is a good one and works very well. But it’s not what makes this group a winner.

Quite simply, it’s a great bunch of people!!!

(Plus it’s in Melbourne, not Sydney. But that’s a debate for another time….)

:p

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
April 19, 2010, 11:59

I think they are a great bunch of people (both in Melbourne and Sydney)…..but then I’m biased.

Looking forward to eventually creating the same space for others in major cities….till that happens we are forced to only connect on the net.

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.032 seconds.