Forums

Mercy Ministries & Gloria Jeans!

Page:   1 2 3 4 5

luke_18

Joined in 2008
March 24, 2008, 22:15

there is absolutely nothing wrong with prosperity. i swear, when people criticise hillsong on this issues, its often a case of tall poppy syndrome. if people succeed AND they are a christian… it seems there is something wrong? WHY is this?

Brian Housten has written books and spoken at conferences all over the world (not to mention pastors one of the most influencial churches in the world)… he deserves every cent he gets! and probably more! good on him i say.

March 24, 2008, 22:33

people can succeed whether they are Christian or not, but to say “comes to Jesus and he will make you rich” is no basis of portraying Christ, crucifying Christ over again.

If someone is blessed financially along the way then they should use they finances wisely and bless other who are less fortunate then him/her. No to boast around how rich they are, for Christ said where their treasure is their heart is also.

I am certainly not advocating poverty, the basic principle of Christ is Salvation. I understand the verses says search the kingdom of god first and the rest will come to you, but that is not to say come and receive Christ and you will be rich, a totally different ballgame (Christ didn’t say come to me and i will give you worldly riches and salvation)

I rather be proud to have Christ in me, then to be proud to have Mercedes Benz, Multiples houses and large bank account. I will put Christ above anything else, i certainly will not place prosperity and myself on the chair and Christ sit on floor.

March 24, 2008, 22:41

there is absolutely nothing wrong with prosperity. i swear, when people criticise hillsong on this issues, its often a case of tall poppy syndrome. if people succeed AND they are a christian… it seems there is something wrong? WHY is this?

Brian Housten has written books and spoken at conferences all over the world (not to mention pastors one of the most influencial churches in the world)… he deserves every cent he gets! and probably more! good on him i say.

Yes, it’s tall poppy syndrome.

🙄

What about those Christians in China who are persecuted for their faith, or starving Christians in Africa? I guess they’re not blessed by God or worthy enough to be God’s children.

Shantih Shantih Shantih

Joined in 2008
March 24, 2008, 22:44

I shouldn’t get involved in this conversation – that could lead to some of the former unpleasantness I wanted to leave behind. Suffice to say I agree with Anistemi.

luke_18

Joined in 2008
March 25, 2008, 12:44

first to anistemi …. you make judgements about certain people with comments such as “I rather be proud to have Christ in me, then to be proud to have Mercedes Benz” … who are you (or me) to judge another person ?? (if your going to argue about bible principles, then dont judge… because its not biblical).

I agree with you that saying things like “come to Jesus and he will make you rich” is wrong and very unbiblical… but who says that?? ive never heard Brian Housten (for eg.) use those such words. be carefuly not to mis-quote someone or take things out of context. If people say these things… then yes i agree with you, its wrong. BUT there can also be a very true message amongst it… regarding gods favour and blessing.

Also, Hillsong in my opinion use their money wisely (most of the time)… they are trying to appeal to (thus evagelise to) a broader community (esp business folk and youth) so why criticise their amazing work of evangelism.

Also, If you are going to criticise Hillsong, then i certainly hope you dont buy their albums or sings their songs at church, or even attend the July conference …. because that would be hypocritical.

as for the example of christians who are persecuted and less fortunate…. it not a matter of “worth” to God … its context dependent.

I’ll say it again, as i have before, i dont mean to start arguments (because thats pointless) and i am mindful of opinions, but i just dont like assumptions that create very negative rumours and perceptions of something that is actually good.

[ps. I am not a big PRO-hillsong person, as their anti-gay attitude (for eg) really upsets me (but that attitude isnt JUST hillsong) and its mainly this issue of hillsongs finances that i defend.]

March 25, 2008, 14:36

A

as for the example of christians who are persecuted and less fortunate…. it not a matter of “worth” to God … its context dependent.

[ps. I am not a big PRO-hillsong person, as their anti-gay attitude (for eg) really upsets me (but that attitude isnt JUST hillsong) and its mainly this issue of hillsongs finances that i defend.]

Is not God the same God of Abraham, Jacob, Isaac, God the father, The son and The holy spirit, the same God before Christ after Christ, today, tomorrow and forever. The same God that people in Europe, America, Asian, Australia…. Worship. If God is the same God how can it be “Context dependent”, that God must be a very selective God…

I certainly will not, and never will, attend Hillsongs Conference.

I buy others album e.g. vineyard… there plenty of fish in the river to choose…

I did not quote Brian Houston if you notice. People who promote prosperity gospel those people may not say those word directly but that what it come too… prosperity…

Yeah… we all are not to judge, but God did not blinded us, Christ was never about money and wealth… To me, to come to Christ means to surrender all that I am, for he gave my salvation and freedom to choose, he took away my blindness to the truth.

This doesn’t mean I don’t or I do drive Mercedes Benz, Having Mansion, Yacht, Billions or Millions of dollar in bank account. I am rather not boasting of material possession I rather boasting of having my salvation and Christ in me. I rather preach about God salvation and everlasting love, let others come to Christ for who he is, what he preach and his message

Michelle
President
Joined in 2008
March 25, 2008, 15:04

Wow I love this topic!!!!

This is rather a weighty topic isn’t it?! Having come from a pentecostal ‘mega’ church who really did abuse finances it’s easy to see the point of view of people such as Anistemi but Luke is also entitled to feel that prosperity for hard work should be rewarded. Is it more that the issue is about ‘men of God’ displaying prosperity or is this view towards anyone who identifies as a christian?

I would love to have more than I do. I would love to bless my kids and partner, my parents and family. I would feel a great sense of accomplishment if my hard work could enable me to have nice things!

I’m not even sure if I still call myself a Christian or not. That is my journey and that’s where I’m at but I don’t believe it makes someone less ‘Spiritual’ If they have obvious material gain that others can see.

Cheers Michelle

Shantih Shantih Shantih

Joined in 2008
March 25, 2008, 17:31

Okay, since I’m not going to participate (and find it very hard not to), I’m going to try and resolve the issue before it gets out of hand.

Hands up anyone here who is wealthy beyond the norm.

[looks around]

No one? [shrugs] Then the point is moot, and this road is not worth going down for the sake of something that doesn’t affect anyone here and now.

March 25, 2008, 17:42

What do you mean beyond the norm Shanti? i don’t think there is need to tell people how much i have or how much i don’t have.

I have no objection of living comfortably and being blessed for hard work, but money and wealth should not be a focus and should not be seen as a right for being Christian.

I am not mean saying being Christian and wealthy is abomination and less spiritual, what i am saying is to preach prosperity or evangelise with that principle is not quite rite.

Shantih Shantih Shantih

Joined in 2008
March 25, 2008, 17:52

Just…more wealthy than usual. I can’t really specify a limit as – essentially – I know nothing about the value of money.

The point is, I don’t think anyone here is obscenely rich, so the subject doesn’t directly affect anyone, and I can see that this conversation will end in tears if it persists.

Page:   1 2 3 4 5

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.061 seconds.