Forums

Mother of gay son who loves and accepts him as he is

Page:   1 2 3 4

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
October 16, 2010, 19:51

Helen…..this is great……it gives parents an example of a better way to respond to your childs coming out. We have seen many parents from christian backgrounds respond poorly. The have either rejected, with judgement or with conditional love…….’we love you but’……..

Did you know that in many western cities around the world about 50% of homeless youth are LGBT. They either were thrown out of home or ran away believing that they would never be accepted by their parents.

There is a far better way as you have demonstrated……as we get over 4000 visits a month and I’m sure that there are some young people coming here wondering how things will go when they come out to their parents. Lets hope we get more of these stories like yours here.

Welcome to our/your community

this is such a wonderful story I’m going to put a link to this on my facebook wall and tweet it as well.

grebo5454

Joined in 2010
October 16, 2010, 21:48

🙂 Hello Anthony

Thank you once again. The purpose of me posting my story was exactly what you said…..to encourage other parents (not only Christian parents but all parents) of LGBT kids to respond to their childs coming out as a positive thing – not a negative. All these kids want is acceptance from their loved ones and not to become a statistic.

I believe it is far better to still have love and respect for your child than to loose your child forever. Mine only moved 10 hours away but I know he is very happy now after coming out to us and knowing that his father and I accept and love him for who he is. Tonight we went to dinner with some very special neighbours and it felt just so right to tell them about Sam as they always ask about him. They were so loving and accepting also and I found out that my friend has 2 gay cousins living in Sydney who have lost contact with their immediate family because of non-acceptance. My neighbour is going to contact them and tell them that he wants to stay in touch no matter what their orientation, so telling them about Sam has had a positive outcome for another family. Praise God

Bless you Anthony

Helen

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
October 17, 2010, 09:54

That’s so great, Helen. Thanks again.

avb, I didn’t know about those stats for homeless youth. They don’t surprise me though.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

davidt

Joined in 2009
October 30, 2010, 13:12

Hi Helen

What a great story. Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

Have you ever heard of Shelley Argent? She is the mum of James who is gay and she is an incredible person. It would be good if you two could meet up. Shelley is associated with PFLAG and was interviewed on the ABC Program “Australian Story”.

This is the link to the transcript of the interview with Shelley. http://www.abc.net.au/austory/content/2007/s2958278.htm

We could sure do with more Mum’s like you.

Warm regards

grebo5454

Joined in 2010
November 3, 2010, 14:18

🙂 Hi David

Lovely to hear from you. I have heard of Shelley Argent and would one day like to meet her. She is also an inspirational lady with so much love to give to all LGBT people she meets. She is in Brisbane though but you never know maybe one day……..

I have had to extend my stay in Sydney this week (thank you eveveryone for your prayers) so will be able to attend the Freedom 2 b (e) meeting on Friday night. I am really looking forward to meeting all the wonderful people I have heard so much about from Ben & Sam.

Bless You

Helen

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
November 6, 2010, 23:11

Hi Helen,

It was lovely to meet you at the freedom2b meeting and dinner afterwards. Thanks again for sharing your story about Sam and Ben.

It’s a delight to hear and see positive change towards gay christians coming about as a result of their testimonies.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
November 7, 2010, 23:44

so cool to meet you face to face on Friday night Helen………..and having you march with us next year for MG…..along with Bens parents it seems.

grebo5454

Joined in 2010
November 10, 2010, 19:40

🙂 Hi Anthony & Peter

I had a fantastic time on Friday night. It was lovely to meet so many friendly and happy people at the meeting and dinner afterwards. I would highly recommend it to anyone who may be thinking of going along to Freedom 2 b(e) meetings. It was such an informative night and I really enjoyed putting “faces to names” at last. I only found out that Ben’s parents will be marching also when I read his story in the magazine so that will be great. Maybe I have started something and more parents will join us!

Anthony, I was at Sam’s when you had them over for dinner. Sam said that he really enjoyed the evening and your chats.

Blessings to you both and all the people who make up Freedom 2 b(e). You are all incredible people with so much love to give.

Regards

Helen xx

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
November 13, 2010, 17:01

It was great to have you with us……….see you at mardi gras if not before.

JaydWoods

Joined in 2010
February 13, 2011, 03:27

What a wonderful story of acceptance. I think that it is great that you shared that here. It even touches myself though I live so far away from Australia. It is really cool how the internet can connect people!

I am so glad you shared this. It will be a great post for so many parents and teens to read even if they never comment and remain passive.

Page:   1 2 3 4

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.082 seconds.