Forums

Need help

Page:   1 2

J

Joined in 2012
September 3, 2012, 15:15

So I talked to my mum about gay couples in the bible and got to talking about Ruth and Naomi's relationship and how part of whatever they had in terms of a relationship, referred to the marriage vows used in heterosexual weddings today. Mum was offended and said that it was a mother and daughter in law relationship, but I had read differently elsewhere.

Are there ANY gay couple relationships in the bible? I looked at the Jonathan and David thing in a google search and it only seemed to be some friendship thing, so mum was pretty much all like 'see? see?'

I still think she's homophobic because of her stance and teachings being brought up in a homophobic environment. She said 'well you have the love and support of your parents' despite her disagreeing wholeheartedly with me on the whole gay couples in the bible thing, and so in reply I said 'well that's debatable…' and she stormed off to the gym with her keys without uttering another word.

Great…

Any advice?

Mother Hen

Joined in 2011
September 3, 2012, 17:10

Hi Jordon,

I was going to ask how things were going with your mum. Before we went away you had just told your parents.

My advice would be to just let your mum work it out herself, people's beliefs don't just change over night, you have to be patient, something I have a feeling you are not very good with. People will do things in their time frame not yours. It's only been a short time for your parents to come to terms with all this. They have said they love you and accept you, maybe for now, you have to be happy with that. Parents will not always agree with their children and vice a versa, I know remember I'm a mum. That doesn't mean they don't love you, accept you and want the best for you. Part of being a parent with older kids is learning to let go and let the children make their own choices even if the parent's don't like it. On the other hand the children have to accept that mum and dad may not always like the choices you make, the things you do but the love a parent has for a child doesn't change just because you don't see eye to eye.

I think you might of hurt your mum's feelings. I'm sure in her mind she is trying to get her head around all this and is doing the best she can. Maybe you could sit down with your mum, tell her how much you love her and explain to her what you need from her, that you need some reassurance from her that she still loves and accepts you. One thing you can't do is make her change her beliefs, only she can do that. You can help by being the loving son, being a testimony to God, show her you are still the same person you have always been. Trying to get her to see your view point on scriptures is only going to cause a riff between you too. Let her know you are there and open to talking any time she wants.

Young people are energetic, enthusiastic, want to change the world, all great wonderful things, and it is the youth of today who will change the world but one thing young people aren't good at is patience. Be patient Jordon, with your mum and other aspects of your life. All good things come to those that wait. Just ease back a bit.

I'm happy for your mum to contact me if she wants to have someone to talk too.

When your mum gets home, give her a big hug and tell her you love her, it will melt her heart 🙂

Let me know if I can do anything to help.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
September 3, 2012, 18:25

Hi Jordan

That's great advice from Mother Hen! 🙂

And yes, Ruth and Naomi were Mother-in-law and daughter-in-law so I can understand why your Mum would be put off by a suggestion of something else. As for David and Jonathan, I've heard pro gay people try and argue that they were in a gay relationship because they kissed and embraced while disrobing. However Middle eastern soldiers engaged in rituals like this prior to war that strengthened their bond. And today, middle Eastern men kiss each other a few times as a customary greeting and it's definitely not sexual. Be careful making flimsy suggestions based on something you heard without doing in-depth research yourself. Otherwise you risk making emotional claims based on your bias (or desire to find gay people you can relate with in the bible). The trouble with this is that bias isn't reliable and we see weak arguments based on this alone in both pro gay and anti gay circles. And that's off putting and will not further your cause with your Mum.

Better to stick with what you know: your feelings and how great your Mum is and what you need from her that is realistic for her to achieve.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

J

Joined in 2012
September 3, 2012, 20:47

Hey. Thanks Mother Hen and Ann Maree. Mum came into my room and we talked. She said it was still a bit of a shock to her as she said I had almost 10 years coming to terms with it, whereas she has only recently found out. I understand that. I guess it’s hard for me to be patient when I’ve known for so long. Having to realize that it will take her 10+ years just to be OK with it fully is hard to handle. And that’s not even touching the issue on telling relatives yet either (oh boy, that’s going to be fun).

She said she was hurt, and I was like um, me too. She said every time someone disagrees with me I disregard them (and yes that’s true some of the time, but not all the time, and I have had to deal with bullies and other crap in my life, including dealing with my sexuality for almost 10 years). I told her that she did the exact same thing with the whole Naomi and Ruth thing when she suddenly stormed off without uttering another word before coming home – I wouldn’t agree with her so she also disregarded me.

She made the excuse that she was late, but in reality she was angry. I myself was angry that she wouldn’t look at it from my point of view in that I’m trying to find some inner peace with myself and my sexuality through scripture – so when she refused to hear the possibility of gay couples in the bible, it made me wonder if she can handle any talk of any gay related stuff. So I don’t know who to talk to now. She says she still loves me and all that, but I still get the feeling she’s uneasy when talking about anything gay. I acknowledged she’s still coming to terms with it all, but I provided her with stuff like wezflash’s site, freedom2b and a couple other sites, but she said she’s been too busy. Maybe I’m not worth her time? I don’t know…

I just feel I can’t talk to her about anything. Not for the next 10 years at least until she can wrap her whole head around me being gay. I think maybe mum and I just need some distance. We had a talk and everything is ok now, but I still feel like I can’t talk to her about anything gay related.

If there aren’t any gay couples in the bible it makes me question if maybe there is something wrong with me, even though having feelings towards guys feels so natural. I mean, Adam and Eve was God’s ‘ideal’ plan, so what does that make me if I’m not attracted to women?

I know God exists and all, but sometimes I honestly can’t stand His silence.

Edit: I came across this video. It was quite amazing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98ApKUqb-RQ

I think I'm my own worst enemy because I believe I'm not good enough, that I'm not worthy etc. so I need to change that, and that video was quite good. I love what she said below, which I've added to my favourite quotes document 😛

When you believe your thoughts, you’re boxed in. When your mind opens, there’s unlimited possibilities. – Byron Katie

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
September 3, 2012, 21:54

Hi Jordan

You said:

I acknowledged she’s still coming to terms with it all, but I provided her with stuff like wezflash’s site, freedom2b and a couple other sites, but she said she’s been too busy. Maybe I’m not worth her time? I don’t know…

It's not that you're unworthy of your Mother's time. She just can't manage to look at those things right now. You're bombarding her, and in her own way, she's telling you to back off and respect her space. To push someone continually is not OK so you really do need to back right off, Jordan. Your mother will look at the resources you gave her when she's ready and not before. And if you keep pushing her, you may well delay that process. Remember too that her reasons for not looking at those materials might be nothing to do with you but about her own issues or any other number of reasons so be gentle with her. You're asking for acceptance but are you showing your mother the same thing? She's not ready and I urge you to find a way to accept that. Perhaps if you spend more time with those who do accept you as a gay person, such as at a gay affirming church or community, you won't pressure your mother so much? Just a thought..

Blessings,

Ann Maree

J

Joined in 2012
September 3, 2012, 22:05

True, thanks Ann Maree <3

I think I will look into gay affirming churches. My mum even suggested that idea tonight. I am also going to look into getting 'The Work' book by Byron Katie, because my own thoughts are very self destructive and I really need to just let my mind go blank for a while and stop stressing over things I can't control.

I'm going to leave a post-it note on the table saying I'm sorry 😛 she needs time to process everything still and I need time to stop thinking.

Mother Hen

Joined in 2011
September 4, 2012, 08:14

Hi Jordon,

Totally agree with Ann Maree. Also I think you have felt down, frustrated and rejected from the lack of response the churches have given you. (which has only been 4 days, pastors might be away, They might want time to process what you have written, look up the resources you sent. Any number of reasons, it's only been 4 days, you need patience) And that maybe you have then over reacted a bit to the comments your mum made, projecting what you were feeling from your perceived lack of positive comments from the pastors towards your mum. If you can get what I'm trying to say. Shadow Boxer warned you about taking any negative responses personally.

You mum does care and love you very much, your mum came into your room to talk, she wanted to make sure you were ok and that everything between you was ok. As Ann Maree has said you really need to back off on your mum and just love her for being your mum. Let her work through all this in her time, it won't take the 10 yrs.

Yes very good advice "don't stress over things you can't control" listen to your own advice 🙂 I think you just need to settle a bit, just be happy with that fact you have come out to your parents, concentrate on those relationships and on yourself.

Patience, I can't stress this enough to you. I sense you want things to happen/change right now. All that will happen is you will get yourself into a mess stressing about it all. You can't change other peoples beliefs, or control their reactions, you can't make people do things in your time frame, you need to accept this.

Do you have some close mates you can chill out with and just have some fun? Relax a bit.

God Bless

J

Joined in 2012
September 4, 2012, 12:11

Hey Mother Hen, I really like what you said here

You can't change other peoples beliefs, or control their reactions, you can't make people do things in your time frame, you need to accept this.

It really is something I need to learn and accept, and in a way I have set myself up for a lot of negativity by sending out 50 emails to various churches who are already set in their views and I can't expect to change the world like you guys say lol 😛

If there is something positive, I just checked my emails and a church responded saying they have a christian lady who is struggling with her sexuality and faith and that my email has come at the most convenient time as they didn't really know how to handle it, so there we go. Maybe it has helped 1 person, and if that's the case, it was all worth it <3

Mother Hen

Joined in 2011
September 4, 2012, 12:38

See there you go, you never know how your letters have helped or impacted on a person or the church. See patience 🙂 I have heard many stories over the years where a person was told about Jesus many years before they actually gave their life to him. The seed had been planted years before, something or someone came along and watered that seed. Happens all the time, you have put a new seed of thought in all the churches you sent your letter too. They may not respond, some may never give it another thought, but that seed is there.

I used to teach RE at schools, you never really knew if it was getting through to the kids and even if the message of Jesus did, if they came from non Christian homes, the parents might not let the children act on what they had heard. I always believed I was planting a seed, and that maybe in their adult life they may remember what their Religious Education teacher taught them many many years before.

All we can all do Jordon is tell people, talk to them about what we believe the bible says, and leave it with them. Even if they disagree with you at the time, the words you have said will be with them always, even if they don't realise it at the time. And maybe just maybe someone else comes along and says the same things you have and adds another voice to yours, over time that pastor or person may change their beliefs. Not just because one person spoke up but because many did. You voice is the start of that many, don't be discouraged your letters have not gone out in vain.

We don't all get to see the results of our labour, that's where faith and patience comes in.

You also need to keep yourself safe and be with people who are going to encourage, nourish and strengthen you, so if you have some negative feedback from churches or your family you have a balance and don't go getting too low or discouraged.

Keep being positive 🙂 you have a wonderful group of people here to support you.

J

Joined in 2012
September 4, 2012, 16:24

Thanks Mother Hen 😛

<3

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.078 seconds.