Forums

NEW, BRISBANE

Page: 1

newboybert

Joined in 2013
February 5, 2013, 19:03

HI GUYS.

I'M NEW TO ACCEPTING AND BEING WHO I REALLY AM AND HAVE ALREADY STARTED TO RECEIVE SOME BAD LOOKS AND STUFF FROM PEOPLE THAT DON'T EVEN KNOW ME. LOL. JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS ANY ADVICE ON DEALING WITH THIS? (BECAUSE I GUESS THIS TYPE OF STUFF WILL NEVER GO AWAY) AND IF ANYONE KNOWS OF ANY PLACES PEOPLE LIKE ME GO TO JUST HANG OUT AND INTERACT WITH EACH OTHER?

BERT

Mother Hen

Joined in 2011
February 6, 2013, 09:54

Hi Bert,

Welcome to F2B 🙂 In the Title of your post you have put "New. Brisbane" I assume that means you are in Brisbane? A great place to start to find people to just hang out an interact with other's is the Brisbane F2B meeting this Friday. Details on the home page of this site. My son is one of the leaders and I know they would be thrilled to have you and make you feel very welcomed. They are a great bunch, very friendly. This Friday sounds like it is going to be a great night and an opportunity to get to know the people there. You can just turn up on the night or PM "Mr Summitt" or "Boi70" both leaders at the Brisbane group.

They will also be able to tell you of other places you might like to go, to find like minded people. 🙂

J

Joined in 2012
February 6, 2013, 20:55

Hey Bert, and welcome to F2B. I personally don't live in Australia or Brisbane, but like Mother Hen suggested, the nearest F2B meeting in Brisbane I think would be really helpful – they're awesome people!

I think being surrounded by gay-affirming places would be the best advice from myself to you (be it a gay-affirming church if that's your thing, or organisation like F2B). In a world that is still quite ignorant to the fact that not everyone is heterosexual (although tolerance and acceptance is greatly improving), it's almost vital to be around people who love you unconditionally and who know exactly what you're going through. That way you're in an environment where you can be yourself without fear of being looked at in an unwelcoming way.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
February 7, 2013, 07:31

Hi Bert

I just want to add my welcome and echo what Mother Hen and Jordan have said. I hope you can make it to the f2b group this Friday. 🙂

Blessings,

Ann Maree

ShadowBoxer
Joined in 2005
February 7, 2013, 17:15

Hi Mate

Ex Brisbane resident here.

I am curious as to where in brisbane (what suburbs) you are getting these looks and at what times

Ive never felt unsafe in Brisbane – but there are times and places in any city where it can be adviseable to blend in (and thats for any sub culture not only LGBTIQ people) however being 6ft3 helps. There were times and places I definately would not hold my BFs hand for example.

I would suggest not only talking to the Freedom2b people but you could also try http://www.qahc.org.au/ as well.

They may have some more suggestions and ideas on trends etc going on the city state.

Feel free to Private message me also

Thanks

josh911

Joined in 2013
February 10, 2013, 08:56

Hi all I'm new here 🙂

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
February 12, 2013, 18:31

Hi josh911

Welcome to f2b. 🙂

Feel free to post your story in the Telling our stories section.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.059 seconds.