Forums

Oasis Waterloo

Page: 1

HeyCrunchKing

Joined in 2012
March 12, 2013, 03:35

Hi all!

Just a quick update to encourage you all – I just finished up my job on Iona, so I'm spending some time in London before I go to the States and then back to Brisbane (where I'll definitely look up the local F2b group, don't worry!)

While I'm in London I decided I would check out Oasis Waterloo, which is a Baptist church I heard about because its head pastor, Steve Chalke has just written an article about accepting gay people and same-sex relationships. I showed up for the service (which was wonderful) and met a group of folk afterwards who invited me to lunch. It just so happened most of them were gay, and when they found out I'm from Australia they said, "There's a group out there… Freedom2b or something? You should check them out!"

So it seems your reputation precedes you!

If any of you are ever in London I really encourage you to check out Oasis Waterloo. It's just down the road from Waterloo tube station so it's super easy to get there, and everyone was really friendly without being overbearing. I'd definitely worship there all the time if I lived in London!

Here's their website, if you're interested:

http://www.oasischurchwaterloo.org/

And the first part of Steve's article. Steve is one of the most recognisable evangelicals in Europe, so this article has raised more than a few eyebrows. Hopefully it will encourage other straight, evangelical allies to come out of the woodwork and change the tone of the discussion between the church and the LGBT community!

http://www.christianitymagazine.co.uk/sexuality/stevechalke.aspx

Just thought you'd like to hear about it! I'm due back in Queensland on the 16th of April… I landed a job as editor of Journey magazine with the Uniting Church – quite a leap for me professionally! Once I'm back I'll be in Brisbane for the foreseeable future.

All the best, and I'll see you soon!

Mother Hen

Joined in 2011
March 12, 2013, 11:46

HeyCrunchKing,

Great to hear from you again, and good to hear you are on your way back to Brissy, hopefully by then it will have fined up 🙂 I know the Brisbane F2B will be glad to see you and will welcome you very much into their great happy group. Might see you there sometime, think I said before my son is one of the chapter leaders.

Great to hear F2B is spreading around the world, awesome 🙂

Have a great and safe trip home 🙂

mrg

Joined in 2010
March 12, 2013, 19:35

I had the pleasure of meeting Steve Chalke about ten years ago now. Quality man right there.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
March 17, 2013, 17:13

HeyCrunchKing

How great that you found the support at Oasis Waterloo church with Steve Chalke. 🙂 Thanks for sharing this.

Fantastic too that they know about us in London.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Michelle
President
Joined in 2008
March 17, 2013, 23:03

Heycrunchking

Wow! Fantastic to hear that freedom2b is still travelling. I had inquiries from the UK a couple of years ago so I'm encouraged by that info. We look forward to having you back in oz! Hopefully we could meet when I visit Brissy later in the year 🙂

Warm regards

Michelle

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.035 seconds.