Forums

Oral Roberts Grandson - It gets better

Page: 1

November 7, 2010, 14:05

The grandson of antigay televangelist Oral Roberts has a message for “my people — homosexuals.” It gets better.

Randy Robert Potts (pictured), a former middle school English teacher now pursuing a career as a writer, says in a column and accompanying video for The Washington Post that his grandfather “and most of his generation” describe gay people “as an abomination.”

In the video, Potts talks about his uncle Ronald David Roberts. Ronald came out to his father in high school. According to Potts, Oral Roberts “did not want a gay son,” and when Ronald was in his 30s, six months after getting a divorce, he shot and killed himself.

Potts says that his mother, like her father, does not want a gay son. At his grandfather’s funeral just last year, Potts says his mother told him that “hell does exist, and I’m going there.”

In the years since coming out, Potts says he’s lived in fear of losing his children because he’s gay. He says he even considered suicide, but with help and time, it got better.

Watch Potts’s video above and read Washington Post column his Washington Post column

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
November 7, 2010, 15:07

Great video clip.

This was recently posted in the ‘It Gets Better’ thread in the ‘News from around the world’ section. Anyone who’s interested can go there to see other related videos and posts as well.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
November 7, 2010, 17:17

powerful isn’t it

supercalamari

Joined in 2008
January 21, 2011, 12:21

Cried the first time I watched this. It’s amazing how many common experiences gay people can share, regardless of age or sex. Shame, disillusionment… hope.

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.068 seconds.