Forums

Prayer, Conversations with God (or lack thereof), and Helping the Homeless

Page:   1 2

ShadowBoxer
Joined in 2005
October 29, 2012, 11:57

Actually – as I have worked in the USA and have a lot of friends (and rels) there. Im watching Hurricane Sandy at the moment closely.

Its already killed over 50 people and flooded (which means clean water is a problem) many places.

So I can tell you now one place all the World Vision money goes to is helping people hit by these kind of disasters.

World Vision has relief supply warehouses in New York, Texas, and Mississippi in the event of a disaster in the United States. Supplies include flood clean-up kits, hygiene kits, blankets, and food kits. In 2005 – they helped 318 000 people who were left homeless after Hurricane Katrina. Having these stockpiles are VITALLY important because if people DONT get warmth. food and clean water quickly, the death toll skyrockets as disease sets in. If you look at the newspapers now you will see New York City supermarket shelves are currently bare. These stockpiles are one place where the money goes – that might not be obvious to people not in the industry – but they can save hundreds of 000's of lives when they are needed. They did in 2005 and Im hoping they wont be needed now – but this is the biggest storm to hit the usa since 1999.

World Vision also have staff in Haiti and the Dominican republic – both places that have been hard hit by the storm and they were put on High alert so they could provide aid – and information on what aid was needed – as soon as possible.

Again – they are only one of many organisations – and Im not saying they are better than any other – but given its topical right now – I thought u might find it interesting thats one (of many) places where the money goes.

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.04 seconds.