Forums

Queensland Gay Marriage Debate

Page: 1

Steven Ogden

Joined in 2011
November 29, 2011, 20:41

The Courier Mail has been reasonably open about the gay marriage debate. Here is a piece I wrote recently called And the greatest of these is love.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
November 29, 2011, 21:00

Hi Steven

Excellent article! Thanks for posting. 🙂

Blessings,

Ann Maree

forestgrey
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2008
November 29, 2011, 21:32

Absolutely agree with Ann Maree, Steven – excellent and concise article. Well done to get it published.

[ But does this para from the CourierMail website contain a typo, or am I misreading it: ” In the Bible, there are five pertinent references which focus on heterosexual behaviour. In fact, there is no word for homosexual in the original languages.”?? ]

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
November 30, 2011, 21:47

Hi forestgrey

I read that to mean that those particular behaviours described in scripture are in reference to heterosexuals because homosexuality as a word didn’t exist. But I would add that just because a word didn’t exist doesn’t mean that gay people weren’t around. I tend to think that human behaviours could belong to any humans regardless of sexuality. I think the statement questions the idea that the bible was referring specifically to gay people.

I’m interested to hear from Steven though if this is what was meant because I could be on the wrong track altogether. 🙂

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Steven Ogden

Joined in 2011
December 1, 2011, 23:32

Ann Maree is right. 🙂 For a start, it is hard to account for all the nuances in 600 words in the Courier Mail.

Naturally, there were gay people in ancient times. By and large, however, the bible was written from the perspective of ancient agrarian patriarchal ‘straight’ people.

For example, the men in Romans 1:27 are ‘straight’ men and worship, not sexuality, is the issue. The text is not addressing gay people per se (see Brendan Byrne’s excellent commentary on Romans, in the Sacra Pagina series).

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
December 3, 2011, 23:37

Thanks for confirming and clarifying Steven. 🙂

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Steven Ogden

Joined in 2011
December 4, 2011, 03:17

As a postscript, when we are interpreting a text from the Bible, we have to place it in its historical and social context. This helps us to distinguish an ancient time-bound convention from a time-less life-giving insight. With the benefit of hindsight, we know that some times the biblical writers got it wrong (e.g. slavery, sexism). One of the key measures for this process is how a biblical text compares to the generous and inclusive spirit of the ministry of Jesus.

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.061 seconds.