Forums

Reflections from 2012 and Wishes for a Happy New Year

Page: 1

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
December 28, 2012, 08:15

Hi Everyone

Personally I found 2012 to be a very challenging year. However some great things happened at f2b and for the LGBTI world that I wish to remember. The Perth chapter of f2b was successfully launched which is a fantastic achievement and something that has been much needed. πŸ™‚ And here on the forums, we have had a number of new and more established people post to say that they have made some positive changes by gathering more supports and their lives have improved as a result. πŸ™‚

We heard Obama say that he thought same sex people should be permitted to marry. πŸ™‚ Many states in the US then passed the law to allow same sex marriage. πŸ™‚

So I'm wondering what other highlights there have there been both globally, at f2b and in your lives?

I love that this time of year allows us to reflect on the year past while having hopes for a New Year that is as yet unmarked. It's a chance to start anew with a clean slate. My hope for 2013 is that we recognise the opportunities that come our way and be open to these. And may we act in a way that increases love, peace and joy for ourselves and those around us. πŸ™‚

Blessings,

Ann Maree

sarab

Joined in 2011
December 28, 2012, 18:03

I, like you Ann Maree also find the end of a year as being a time to reflect on the year that was as well as making some affirmations (I prefer this word to resolutions) in relation to the coming year.

Wow – 2012 was HUGE for me in so many ways.

Although the word "journey" is very over used – it really does seem to fit that I continue on with an emotional and psychological journey of self discovery in relation to accepting myself as a lesbian and in taking some affirmative steps in relation to sorting stuff out further.

– The beginning of 2012 saw me dealing with extricating myself in an emotional sense from Christian friends from the past who are outwardly anti gay. Some on this forum may recall that in March of this year I had to deal head on with a friend who sent me a not so charming anti gay //liberty ministry book…. I took a stand and came out to her… we text occasionally but the elephant in the room at this stage has not been mentioned again. That all seems a life time ago as… since then….

– In August I went to a coming out group for lesbian women (or those who are unsure) This was enormously brave and felt like a significant hurdle – and yet now it seems not so huge as I have been a number of times…

– In September I attended a discussion group – Open House for lesbian women – I have been around 6 or 7 times and have made connections with some of the women there. Having dinner (just as friends!) with one of the women this week.

– Also in September I reached the one year anniversary of my logging on to f2be for the first time.

– In October I reached the one year anniversary of having left my old non accepting anti gay church and joining the good folk of the uniting church where I have become part of the community… I even helped lead one of the services recently.

– I attended a f2be chapter meeting in Sydney and watched the Chely Wright film.

– Today I just finished reading Chely Wright's book…

– I have come out to two work colleagues and continue to come out to various people at church

– I have felt myself gravitating to a lot more political causes in terms of gay rights… This is not so much a departure from previous practice for me… more like a return – as a teenager I was certainly involved in pro gay discussions and saw myself then as a straight gay advocate… hmmm. something was obviously brewing back then!!! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

– Have continued to read literature around the whole faith and sexuality thing… have met with the minister from my church a few times to talk through some of my questions and I am pleased to say I have made some enormous shifts from being a person who felt there had to be "an answer" to life's questions to someone who can sit with the tension of uncertainty a lot more comfortably – God is far bigger than any construct I can come up with!

– Have even watched some of the lesbian themed films recommended in the book/film section on this forum… thanks for the tips Ann Maree! πŸ™‚

– Oh… and I had major surgery in the middle of the year and spent a couple of months recovering.

PHEW! what a year!

as for 2013….

well I am readying myself for coming out to my parents and sister… I feel strongly that I have to do this… as when I hold back bits of my life it hinders connection… so wish me luck on that one guys! I will continue to connect up socially with people through the lesbian groups I have been attending… and I plan on getting a bit healthier in terms of making some more mindful decisions about what I eat… (hmmm this could be a hard one to crack though!)… I am also thinking about how I can be a bit more real with some of the conservative Christians in my life. When they ask about "what's new?" I don't yet share about attending the open house group or coming out group because I know they won't agree… and that it'll make them uncomfortable… but again… it makes ME uncomfortable not to share… and I am beginning to weigh up the risks…

– I can truly say to all f2bers.. it does get better – 2012 has been testament to this for me… It's not been easy… in fact it's probably been one of the toughest years I have experienced… and yet I feel more connected… more alive… and a little more optimistic than I have been for a long while.

So they're my reflections for now!

Sarab.

Mother Hen

Joined in 2011
December 28, 2012, 21:30

Well the f2b community continues to amaze me with your courage, strength, empathy, encouragement, support and acceptance that you give to others on this forum. I continue to be genuinely moved by the amazing stories of self discovery and journey on this site. Sarab you are one of these people, there are so many πŸ™‚ I am grieved when I read peoples' stories of hurt and pain and uplifted when I read the incredible courage and strength shown by these same people. I feel so privileged to be able to share in some of these stories and so proud of all of you for the amazing steps of courage and faith you all take.

This year was the first time my husband and I walked in the Mardi Gras πŸ™‚ That was huge and so wonderful.

We have been to several Brisbane f2b meetings this year, it was really great to be able to meet Michelle at one of these meetings. It is also really great to catch up with some of the familiar faces and offer our support to the group in any way we can.

Personally it's been a busy year. Couple of highlights, went on an 8 week trip into the Red Centre and Northern Australia, saw some amazing sites. The biggest highlight was our youngest son and his wife gave us our first grandchild a few weeks ago πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ and of course he is gorgeous πŸ™‚

In 2013 I look forward to this amazing community growing. To continue to offer my support and encouragement to others on this site. I hope and pray that we see a real change within the churches towards the LGBTI community. I pray our country takes massive steps to legalizing Gay Marriage. And I pray that everyone on this forum has hope for a better future where they can feel loved, accepted and supported by their family, friends and the community.

Wishing everyone a happy, safe and healthy new year πŸ™‚ May 2013 be filled with love, hope and peace.

Sophia Chokhmah

Joined in 2011
December 29, 2012, 01:47

Encouraging words πŸ™‚

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
January 1, 2013, 10:29

Hi Sarab

Thanks for sharing these aspects of your journey, Sarab. It's amazing what you have achieved and good to see it written out like that. I like it when accomplishments are recorded one by one like this because then we capture them rather than having a vague sense that it was a big year. You have so much to be proud of. πŸ™‚

You said:

I can truly say to all f2bers.. it does get better – 2012 has been testament to this for me… It's not been easy… in fact it's probably been one of the toughest years I have experienced… and yet I feel more connected… more alive… and a little more optimistic than I have been for a long while.

You have taken some risks that have paid off and increased your intimacy and connection with others. That's wonderful, Sarab! πŸ™‚ I pray it continues in your own way and timing.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
January 1, 2013, 10:35

Hi Mother Hen

Thanks for your support, prayers and encouragement. Congratulations on the new grandson and also for participating in Mardi Gras in 2012. πŸ™‚

I agree with Maryanne that yours and Sarab's words are inspiring and encouraging. πŸ™‚

Happy New Year and great blessings to you and yours! πŸ™‚

Happy New Year and huge blessings to everyone here as well! πŸ™‚

Ann Maree

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.037 seconds.