Forums

Religious Homophobes/Pharisees

Page: 1

J

Joined in 2012
November 11, 2012, 06:54

So I had an argument/debate with Pat Robertson (Also known as Joel10000a) from The 700 Club yesterday on YouTube. I was really offended how he had this video "Gay From the 6th Grade! – Part 1 of 2" where someone who was gay and by the power of God or some crap, it turned him straight? I find this really hard to believe (Especially in cases of ex-gay programs where they only make them supress their feelings and make them say they've changed to heterosexuality, when in fact they haven't), and homophobes really do their best to find just ONE case where their sexuality has *supposedly* changed – despite the millions of others in which it didn't work.

Anyway he only allowed comments after his approval (a bit ironic for a Christian pastor to have such control and power over this. If you ask me, it sounds as though it's either his way or the highway). This is how the conversation went:

F2BJordan:

I am a born again gay christian, and there is nothing wrong with me Joel.

Joel10000a:

Sorry, but you can't be both gay and Born Again, the two are totally mutually exclusive. The Bible plainly and specifically says that anyone who practices homosexuality will NOT inherit the Kingdom of God – read it for yourself!

1 Cor 6:9-10

9 Don't you realize that those who do wrong will not inherit the Kingdom of God? Don't fool yourselves. Those who indulge in sexual sin, or who worship idols, or commit adultery, or are male prostitutes, or practice homosexuality,

10 or are thieves, or greedy people, or drunkards, or are abusive, or cheat people—none of these will inherit the Kingdom of God.

F2BJordan:

Well I was water baptised and that did not change my sexual orientation Joel. I also prayed hundreds of times to 'pray the gay away' but God did not do this because there was nothing wrong with me in the first place. Furthermore, the only reason I did all this was because society and religious homophobes such as yourself told me it is wrong. Then I discovered God didn't actually hate everyone once I examined my bible some more. You should do it more often.

Joel10000a:

…..and PROMISING God you WANT to turn away from your past sinful ways), and asking Jesus to become the Lord of your life, and promising to follow Him forever, will you become Born Again. You can't have your cake and eat it too! You must be TOTALLY WILLING to turn away from your gay lifestyle, before you can become Born Again, and before God will help you quit! Homosexuality is an addiction, and it also is demonic in it's roots. Get rid of that controlling demon, and it will be easy to quit!

After this he went on to say:

Joel10000a:

What are you going to do with the verses I gave you from Corinthians? Ignore them? Getting baptized does NOT get you Born Again. ONLY by RECOGNIZING AND ADMITTING homosexuality is a sin, and confessing that it's a sin, and confessing all of the other wrong things you have done are sins, and then REPENTING (which means to be sorry for the way you have been living,…….

It's ironic that he says I am ignoring the verses because I actually gave him my response for Corinthians, but he wouldn't approve my comment. It's funny because I wooped his ass with it – probably something he is not used to because it's his way or the highway. This is what I said:

The reference to "effeminate" people there, which is often used as a passage to condemn gay men, has been taken wayyyy out of context. In truth, the greek word "effeminate" in verse 9 is quite broad. In greek it means "malakoi" and literally means "soft". SOFT PEOPLE WILL NOT INHERIT THE KINGDOM OF GOD. Effeminate did NOT mean homosexual back then. I highly recommend you read the book 'The Children Are Free: Reexamining the Biblical Evidence on Same-sex Relationships' and do your research Joel.

Isn't it ironic how such a popular Christian from The 700 Club says such patronising comments and only approves the ones that make him look good? I told my parents about him and they're really disgusted with his attitude because they've seen him on TV too.

Anyone know any other religious homophobes/pharisees?

Edit: Considering he wouldn't approve my comment, I reposted my reply to his ignorant comment, on my YouTube channel for others to see what SHOULD have been approved, but wasn't because he is self righteous and wicked.

forestgrey
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2008
November 12, 2012, 17:00

Jordan – love your determination. But I don't waste my time arguing with such people. When a person in a high-profile Christian position has been sprouting misleading information for years (and he does that out of ignorance), it takes enormous humility to admit that they just might be wrong, that there just might be alternative interpretations, that the science no longer supports their view. Unfortunately, their own pride gets in the way of even considering a possible change of mind. But, we need to try and remain gracious and not descend to their level of vitriol.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
November 12, 2012, 21:01

Hi Jordan

Yes, best not to engage with people like this. If someone is that set in their beliefs, there won't be any dialogue or ability to consider another viewpoint. So you'd be wasting your time trying to engage them.

I can understand your upset and the desire to stand up for injustice by trying to counter these views. However, there are other ways to do it – with those who might be a little receptive at least.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

J

Joined in 2012
November 13, 2012, 00:21

True, thanks you two 😛

I don't know why but I'm like a moth to a flame. It's like this addiction of looking for people who REALLY hate me &/or the gay community in general. I suppose I just want things to change – and fast. But like you both say, trying to change a homophobic persons view, despite how much evidence I have of the bible not condemning gay people, it just won't happen. A close minded person who is not willing to be wrong for a second, will stay close minded. It's so frustrating. I have to somehow try and resist the homophobes (Even some of the so called 'Christian' pastors who are very influential but destructive at the same time with their anti-gay speeches. Where they're almost hissing with hatred – like a 'brood of vipers' as Jesus would describe them) and their nasty comments towards the LGBT community :-/ although I may need some restraints.

HillsBen
Youth Coordinator
Joined in 2008
November 13, 2012, 12:06

Hey Jordan,

It can be really frustrating can't it?!

I have found myself to be doing exactly the same thing as you. I would try to shake things up a little bit and so whenever I heard anyone say anything anti-gay I would respond.

From my experience, this isn't always helpful. It can be quite damaging and can impact your mental health no matter how strong you are.

I think we need to engage in dialogue, but I think we need to choose our battles. We should only engage in dialogue with those who are respectful and those who are willing to listen. Words have power and can be used to build up people or to tear them down. Jesus' words were full of life and didn't use his words carelessly (John 12:49). Don't waste your time in battles that aren't able to be won, rather invest your time in conversations with those who are willing to listen and those who are willing to help. Make your words and your time count!

Unfortunately, not everyone will agree with us and not everyone will be willing to enter into dialogue with LGBTI people, let alone LGBTI Christians. However, there will be many who do care and who are interested. Focus on those people!

Ben

HillsBen
Youth Coordinator
Joined in 2008
November 13, 2012, 12:10

I don't know why but I'm like a moth to a flame. It's like this addiction of looking for people who REALLY hate me &/or the gay community in general. I suppose I just want things to change – and fast.

I think you are like this because you are passionate about being a voice for change. You see an injustice and you see discrimination and you want things to change. It could also be that you are sick of people seeing God the wrong way and you want them to see and experience what you have. This is not a bad thing. Passion is wonderful. You just need to learn how to use this more effectively.

ShadowBoxer
Joined in 2005
November 13, 2012, 17:44

Jordon

I can empathise with your reaction.

Jesus gives us a number of DIRECT commands and principles to live by.

True christians know and follow them and they love truth – so when we see deceit – it can fire up our sense of Justice. Christ had a STRONG sense of social Justice (look at his comments about the money changes and the poor widow). Actually although the established Church has often fought social Justice, Many times Christians have opposed the church AND fought for social Justice. The commands of Jesus himself are clear and if someone is NOT following them first over all else – he is NOT "Christ Like" (not a christian) whether they call themselves that or not.

Do NOT Judge others

Love you neighbour – and it should be noted that in the parable of good samaritan – Jesus makes it clear that our Neighbours are not those who think like us and are the same as us – but those who we would call enemy and who practise what we would call Heresy.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. ( Do these people want marriage denied to christians ? IF not they DIRECTLY disobey Jesus when they deny it to others)

Those that do not feed the sick, the poor, the hungry, the homeless and those in Jail will burn in eternal fire (Jesus's words – not mine)

Now many people CLAIM to be christian – but they dont obey christs teachings.

In Matthew, Mark AND John – Jesus tells us if we want to be perfect to give all we have to the Poor – and so anyone who HASNT done that is on VERY thin ice Judging others. Also in Luke – Jesus also says " "How hard it is for the rich to enter the Kingdom of God! Indeed, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

So – Does Pat Robertson follow Christs teaching. Is he even close ? Does his acts match the Gospel. Google Pat Robertson and you will see that his personal wealth is estimated to be somewhere between $200 MILLION and $1 Billion dollars. He is known to have bought a race horse alone for over 1/2 Million Dollars. In 1990 International Family Entertainment Inc. of which he was the Founder – was sold to Disney for $1.9 Billion dollars.

Robertson's response to the 2010 Haiti earthquakewas that that Haiti's founders had sworn a "pact to the Devil" in order to liberate themselves from the French slave owners and indirectly attributed the earthquake to the consequences of the Haitian people being "cursed" for doing so.

Does that sound like someone obeying Jesus command to love your neighbour ? and do not judge others ?

Jesus says by by their fruits and also says that Deceit is akin to Murder. So lets look at his track Record. DO you think making untrue prophesies is a sign of a man of God ?

"In late 1976, Robertson predicted that the end of the world was coming in October or November 1982. In a May 1980 broadcast of The 700 Club he stated, "I guarantee you by the end of 1982 there is going to be a judgment on the world."

In May 2006, Robertson declared that storms and possibly a tsunami would hit America's coastline sometime in 2006. Robertson supposedly received this revelation from God during an annual personal prayer retreat in January. The claim was repeated four times on The 700 Club. In May 8, 2006, Robertson said, "If I heard the Lord right about 2006, the coasts of America will be lashed by storms." On May 17, 2006, he elaborated, "There well may be something as bad as a tsunami in the Pacific Northwest.

On the January 2, 2007, broadcast of The 700 Club, Robertson said that God spoke to him and told him that "mass killings" were to come during 2007, due to a terrorist attack on the United States. He added, "The Lord didn't say nuclear. But I do believe it will be something like that."

In October 2008, Robertson posted a press release on the Georgian conflict speculating that the conflict is a Russian ploy to enter the Middle East, and that instability caused by a predicted pre-emptive strike by Israel on Iran would result in Syria's and Iran's launching nuclear strikes on other targets. He also said that if the United States were to oppose Russia's expansion, nuclear strikes on American soil are also pending. "We will suffer grave economic damage, but will not engage in military action to stop the conflict. However, we may not be spared nuclear strikes against coastal cities. In conclusion, it is my opinion that we have between 75 and 120 days before the Middle East starts spinning out of control.

Theres plenty more – but the point of this is – the man does NOT follow christ's teaching and his track record is pretty bad in the prophetic stakes

Interestingly enough – he also claimed God had told him who the winner would be of the election – and he campaigned FOR Mitt Romney. Still if one wants to be pedantic – he didnt name the winner… he just knows WHO the winner is.

My point of all this isnt so much to run Pat Robertson down – as to point out – theres NO point argung scriptures with him OR his followers because they arent interested in scripture. Not really. (except to take occasional verses out of context to Justify WHAT THEY WANT – rather than taking ALL of the commands of Jesus and obeying them)

The problem Christians have is they love truth and honesty and it riles us when we see lies and deception spread – especially lies in the name of Jesus…. BUT Christianity now is BIG Business – worth millions – and people are not going to let truth get in the way of power and money. Sadly many people are NOT interested in following the commands of Jesus – they are interested in success. Still measure their actions actionst the commands of Jesus. If they dont follow the commands he gave – you know they only pay lip service for their own reasons and usually – they wont be listening to what you say – BUT if God puts it on your heart to speak to them – then its worth doing. Sometimes its worth waiting for the emotional reaction to settle down though…

J

Joined in 2012
November 14, 2012, 05:39

Hey Ben and Shadow – thanks for your comments 😛

From my experience, this isn't always helpful. It can be quite damaging and can impact your mental health no matter how strong you are.

True. I think it has impacted my mental health already :-/ I'm going to try and stay away from the homophobes from now on (Well, those who aren't willing to listen to the truth anyway!).

We need to choose our battles.

Funny you mention that XD I kept saying this exact quote to some people on F2B when they needed some help, and yet here I am doing the complete opposite. I suppose now though I've truly seen what Pat Robertson is like and he isn't willing to listen whatsoever, so I can get back to choosing my battles. It's weird to think I forgot one of the very principles I started out following. Though we all make mistakes.

It could also be that you are sick of people seeing God the wrong way and you want them to see and experience what you have.

That's right on the money actually. I REALLY am sick of people seeing God the wrong way. I've actually been thinking of writing a book about my experience and journey towards discovering the truth for myself, though coming up with the right title and chapters for it can be quite daunting at times.

Do NOT Judge others

I'm guilty of that XD especially in regards to Pat Robertson and Colin Craig. I suppose I'm frustrated with their hateful messages because they can (And have – maybe not from these two people specifically, but certainly from what homophobic pastors have preached) lead to LGBT individuals committing suicide. So I feel it's important to stop them in their tracks, though I've said my bit to both parties and neither of them are willing to be wrong, which is REALLY sad.

Robertson's response to the 2010 Haiti earthquakewas that that Haiti's founders had sworn a "pact to the Devil" in order to liberate themselves from the French slave owners and indirectly attributed the earthquake to the consequences of the Haitian people being "cursed" for doing so.

Wow :-/ I didn't know his comments were THAT mean-spirited! Though I never really looked into him that much. His comment is as bad as some people blaming LGBT people for Hurricane Sandy. And, dare I say it, similar preachings of the Westboro Baptist Church – blaming natural disasters on the LGBT community.

When it comes to regarding some rich people [Not all] – I am reminded of that quote, I forget where [Nevermind, just wiki'ed it – by John Dalberg-Acton], but it's something like:

Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely

If I were as rich as Pat Robertson, I would love to be able to help out so many people, but that's just me. What a waste of his money – sorry I'm judging him by the way, I'm sure he does some good works, I just think his potential in helping others with that sort of money is going to materialistic things to benefit himself rather than others.

Thanks for all the comments guys, it's really helped 🙂

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.064 seconds.