Forums

returning poster

Page:   1 2

Chris
Administrator
Joined in 2009
July 27, 2011, 00:40

I remember my first meeting, I felt incredibly awkward going in to it. The only reason I worked up the courage is because I had a friend to take me along in the first place, so I wasn’t completely alone. Once that evening was over though, I was on an emotional high that lasted the entire following weekend.

That said, I read up on the forums a lot before working up the courage to come along. While we’re not the scary types at the Sydney meetings, there’s absolutely no pressure to come along unless you feel you’re ready. That’s just one of the reasons this forum is so useful, it’s a great middle ground.

Brunski

Joined in 2005
July 27, 2011, 12:09

Thanks again guys, I am sure I will one day, work up the courage to come to one of your meetings. Do the meeting only happen on a Friday night (Sydney meetings) ? Friday night is pretty much the one night that isn’t really convenient for me.

And its held at the Acon Building right? I think I know where that is.

I just need to be ready, the one thing I dont want to do is come there & stress out so much that I end up having a seizure :~ Although, having said that, I probably shouldnt think about that otherwise it will be the anxiety of having a seizure that ends up provoking one and not the anxiety of being part of the meeting 🙁

Anyway, time will tell …

Michelle
President
Joined in 2008
July 30, 2011, 00:15

Hi Brunski,

We are so glad you found your way back to the forum!

You will have days where you feel really good and others not so crash hot! As you read from others on the forum many have been through personal struggles in their reconciliation journey, so you are not alone. There is unfortunately no way to tell how long it will take to feel ok about your faith and sexuality issues but with support you will move forward! It would be great for you to try and get along to a Sydney meeting, when you are ready, to connect with the amazing team there would really help. Take care and welcome back. 🙂

Michelle

F2b Chairperson

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
August 1, 2011, 13:29

Hi Brunski

Maybe you could contact one of the Sydney leaders beforehand and ease your way in that way.. I’m sure they will be happy to chat and that the group will be very welcoming.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Brunski

Joined in 2005
August 1, 2011, 19:22

Thanks Michelle and Anne-Maree,

yeah I probably should contact them beforehand, still undecided about coming … What time are the meetings? It’s a shame I dont have any gay Christian friends otherwise, I could have asked someone to come along with me, oh well …

Who are the Sydney Leaders anyway?

Thanks,

Brunski

forestgrey
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2008
August 2, 2011, 18:31

Brunski – G’day! Sorry I didn’t respond further to my original post (above) as promised. Just got too busy, but also saw that others had responded with encouragement.

You are MOST welcome to pop into the Sydney meeting. Almost always on the First Friday of the month. Meeting starts at 7:30pm, but best to be there a little early due to security building access. We use a meeting room at the ACON building, 414 Elizabeth St (just near corner of Devonshire Street). A block up from the back exit to Central Station. We have someone in the foyer from roughly 7pm to 7:40pm to provide access. (A buzzer or phone call for later access.) There’s a bus stop almost directly out the front.

You can just slip in to the back of the room, say nothing, be anonymous, slip away at the end – that if you want to. We never pressure anyone or embarrass anyone. We never ask new people to identify themselves. There are usually some new people at every meeting. Some attendees are fairly new to freedom2b, some only come intermittently, some are long-termers. Ages range from late teens to 50s & 60s.

Sydney Chapter leadership team is myself (an old bloke !!), Ben (the young live-wire !!), and Hannah & Shane (somewhere in-between!).

We are all on the same “journey” – i.e., the journey of understanding issues of gender-attraction and faith in our lives. We are all at various stages on that journey. And we understand and respect and care for each other’s situation.

Hope to see you soon. Cheers

Brunski

Joined in 2005
August 3, 2011, 22:59

Thanks forestgrey,

yeah I may end up coming one day, strangely I very vaguely remember coming to the Acon Building years ago at least 15 years probably more, there was some kind Asian youth meeting thing, I had an Asian gay friend who wanted to go but was too scared to go and convienced me to go with him. I vaguely remember sitting in a group of guys mostly Asian teens with the odd white fella 😉 they invited us to a night out on Oxford street one night, but we never went back for some reason.

Hopefully, if I did come to one of the meeting, I would return a second …. time. But its just a bit hard being on a Friday, as that my Bible Study Night. But I guess if its once a month, I may be able to “take the night off” for BS and come and say hello.

Time will tell … I still have a lot of questions and to be totally honest, I feel rather embarrassed that at “my age” I am still struggling with my sexuality 🙁

forestgrey
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2008
August 3, 2011, 23:31

Ah, Brunski .. .. .. don’t let age be a barrier. As I mentioned, we have “older” persons attending the meetings (like me). And certainly many on the Forum. I know of two guys in their 60s (part of the ‘Freedom2b family’) who have “come out” in the last few months. Their stories are most inspiring. I certainly acknowledge your commitment to your study group. But, I’m sure that God would allow you a night off for an equally good cause. Bless ya!

Brunski

Joined in 2005
August 4, 2011, 22:46

Yeah mate, I am sure God would allow me a night to come visit you all.

As I said, time will tell, I’m sure I will get around to coming sometime. Been sick this last week, dont feel up to coming on tomorrow and am about to head to bed.

Anyway, hope your well and so too all the other guys and girls here 😉 Oh by the way, are these meeting a strictly male affair or do you get some women coming along as well? Doesn’t really matter, I’m just curious.

God bless,

Brunski

forestgrey
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2008
August 4, 2011, 23:24

Brunski – G’day! Sorry to hear that you are unwell. Trust you’ll soon be better. Sydney Chapter is definitely more males than females, but varies. We have both male and female speakers from time-to-time. All are welcome. And not just LGBTI. We usually have 1-3 straight supporters too. In those meetings where we have discussions, it’s really good to hear people speak from different perspectives. Brings a good dimension, and sometimes a healthy challenge, to our thinking. Same applies to this Forum where we have participation from a broad range of LGBTI people at various stages of “the journey”. Also we have some really great contributions from our straight supporters – which includes some delightful parents of gay sons. (Our straight Forum members are also on a ‘journey’ of discovery and understanding.) Cheers.

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.081 seconds.