Forums

Sad news in Adelaide...

Page:   1 2

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
May 16, 2011, 19:29

Hi Ash

I too was encouraged by the minister’s words. Hard to believe someone would pull a woman out of a wheelchair. How bizarre!

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Steven Ogden

Joined in 2011
May 19, 2011, 00:47

It was a very sad Adelaide story; especially as the City has had a history of leading the way (in some areas). I will be in Adelaide next week, with a book launch and a couple of radio interviews. I am sure the good people of Adelaide will voice their horror at the fear and loathing of the fundamentalist fringe. Enough is enough. 😉

RaulG

Joined in 2010
May 23, 2011, 09:39

Querido Familia,

Ah yes, I remember these…’confused’ preachers. Yes, their pattern of litigiousness, of hostile rhetoric, of seemingly taking on the roles of real-life forum trolls all points to them mimicking the the behavior of Fred Phelps and his disgusting get-rich-quick scheme trussed up to (badly) mimic a church.

These “street preachers” are no doubt inspired by him and his plan to agitate and litigate in order to rake in millions. This isn’t a church. It’s a den of highwaymen.

Come forth o’ Christ, and spare us. For we are weary of weak men whose hearts hunger for vice that poisons the soul and dulls the mind and we are weary of weak men whose lips speak only lies and whose hands only grasp for wealth and the sword. Come forth o’ Christ and spare us.

Yours In Christ,

Raul

RaulG

Joined in 2010
May 23, 2011, 10:03

Querido Ann,

And yes I agree that the church is very misogynistic, and not just the fundamentalist part, but in many denominations where the bible is literally applied.

Quite the generalization, no? Condemning the church as a whole for the actions of a few? Even amongst literalists such behavior is only in a minority. After all it was in Judeo-Christian thought that women were first seen as being not only equal to men, but in some cases even held up and honored above even the richest and most powerful of men, chosen by the hand of God, female examplars for all in might, wisdom and righteousness. What you condemn is a social disease that is cultural, not religious, in origin. After all, misogyny is prevalent (and even a past time) in the most secular of states (from China to North Korea to Cuba and so on).

Yours in Christ,

Raul

PS: Just for clarity, I hope I didn’t sound angry or dismissive (the limitations of the written language being what they are, I was worried my tone would seem….off).

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
May 23, 2011, 10:49

Hi Raul

I really don’t think it’s just a few who are misogynistic; it’s far more pervasive than that. And yes, I agree, it’s not just in the church but pervades the wider society.

There are still many churches that won’t permit female priests and I believe the full roles of women in the bible have been hidden or played down deliberately by translators. Look at Mary Magdalene’s role in being the first to discover the risen Christ. I find it amazing that something as important as is this isn’t given much attention in the scriptures and nor is it reflected in the roles that women have in the church.

Men are still paid more in society and also given more opportunity in ministry, especially in certain denominations. It’s appalling. Jesus acknowledged this inequality in his day and here it is alive and well today.

I watched a great program on the life of Dr Patricia Brennan last night. She campaigned for womens’ rights to be ordained in the anglican church in Australia and saw that goal realised. Sadly she died in March this year and women are still not allowed to be ordained in her own diocese in Sydney.

Anyway, I didn’t take offence Raul and I know that you and others in the church are wonderful supporters of women. Thank God! I don’t mean to imply that the whole church is misogynistic. Thanks for your support and kindness.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.07 seconds.