Forums

Sad news in Adelaide...

Page:   1 2

Boi70

Joined in 2007
May 15, 2011, 09:12

Woke up this morning to read this news. It is so sad that we have a church in Australia that just has to do this… 🙁

LIVE News: Watch it now

http://bigpondnews.com/articles/TopStories/2011/05/15/Gays_Christians_clash_at_Adelaide_rally_612967.html

A gay and lesbian rally against homophobia in Adelaide has ended in violence after it was crashed by Christian protesters, with one person being removed by police.

About 200 people gathered outside parliament on Saturday to rally in support of International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia when members of the Adelaide Street Church showed up.

Rally organiser Jason Virgo said one woman was pushed out of her wheelchair and police had to be called.

‘A small number of right-wing Christians came out and started waving their flags and getting in people’s faces, yelling quite loudly, some of them got in a bit of a fight,’ Mr Virgo told AAP.

‘(They had) signs saying God hates sinners’ … no sign should say God hates’.

‘It’s an International Day Against Homophobia and for them to come to us and come to our rally and say things which we find homophobic, it’s disrespectful.

‘We would never go to their church and disrupt things the way they did today.’

Street Church spokesman Forbes Morrison said preachers were pushed and threatened.

‘The homosexuals and lesbians had organised a march to strut their sin down King William Street, and the Christians of Street Church went out to appeal in love to them to repent of their sins and put their trust and surrender in Jesus Christ,’ Mr Morrison said.

‘A large portion of the sitting crowd of gays aggressively began to push, harangue, curse and threaten the Christian preachers.

‘As the march began, the Christian preachers led the way in protest, denouncing homosexuality and lesbianism as a crime against God for which those who practice will be damned and go to hell.

‘The motivation of the Christian preachers was one of love for God and their neighbour, and equal marriage rights will not be tolerated by rational Australians.’

A spokeswoman for South Australia Police said one person had to be removed by police for breach of peace, but no arrests were made.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
May 15, 2011, 10:11

Hi Jason

Yes I was dismayed to hear about this incident today.

Fancy the Adelaide church people having a sign saying “God hates sinners” ! That’s a new one and incorrect theology.

And as the spokesperson for the L & G people said, they would never visit that particular church and disrupt their services and yet this is the disrespect Christians showed them at their rally. Shame on them.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
May 15, 2011, 13:52

And as the spokesperson for the L & G people said, they would never visit that particular church and disrupt their services and yet this is the disrespect Christians showed them at their rally. Shame on them.

Hi Ann Maree,

Yes I think the following paragraph in the story says it all;

‘It’s an International Day Against Homophobia and for them to come to us and come to our rally and say things which we find homophobic, it’s disrespectful.”

It was a shame that the protestors chose direct confrontation instead of intelligent dialogue.

Steven Ogden

Joined in 2011
May 15, 2011, 14:51

I have to constantly remind myself that the fundamentalist fringe of the Church, which is misogynistic as well as homophobic, does not speak for me and millions of other people of good faith.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
May 15, 2011, 15:28

Hi Steven Ogden

Welcome! 🙂

And yes I agree that the church is very misogynistic, and not just the fundamentalist part, but in many denominations where the bible is literally applied. I believe it’s because the bible has been interpreted by the patriarchy including misogynists, and the sacred feminine therefore snuffed out as much as possible. It saddens me to say that Jesus is STILL ahead of his time in the way he treated women, much to the disgust of many of his male peers who either abused, dismissed, overlooked or tolerated women at best. The latter attitude and various inequalities continue to pervade the church and wider society.

I’m glad to hear that your Christian standing is different to that. 🙂

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
May 15, 2011, 21:51

He ain’t no Christian…….he is a nut case.

other articles have mentioned that it was people from Christian Street Church…….sounds like a fringe extreme group…..doubt this group would have much to do with mainstream Christianity and visa versa.

hi Steve……nice to have you hear….and thanks for your contribution. 🙂

forestgrey
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2008
May 15, 2011, 23:23

I tracked down the website for this group. They have Sunday services BUT the only way you can find out when & where is to register. Sound somewhat cultish (as in “we know the truth”). Seems to be an ex-pentecostal pastor who is very critical of large (i.e., sucessful) pentecostal churches. All very sad. Still, it’s God who judges; we just have to love them.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
May 16, 2011, 02:20

yep…..I also have just spent time going through the content of Street Churches Adelaide website. http://www.churchadelaide.com/about…….(they must be thrilled with the increased traffic on their site |( )

it is as I suspected
. They are fringe pentecostal group. ….disenchanted by the growth and message of the mega-churches and believe they are the only ones who are truly preaching the gospel. Most of their energy is spent telling everyone else how wrong, deceived and off the track they are according to the word of God.

I have had personally dealings with people like this over the years. Legalistic, elitist, judgmental, condemning. They feed off each others negativity energy……and as forestgrey has mentioned above become very cultish.

Some here on the forum may have also been engaged with similar churches in the past.

those of us who have been around some time (sorry to pull the age card)…..have seen groups like this come and go….they never amount to anything and only attract their own kind.,,,,sad ….angry people. I won’t bother naming them but they have been my opponents for some years now.

As most of you know I am very much interested in creating dialogues……..but as time is limited I only do it with those who are asking questions……people like Street Church Adelaide are a group I would not waste my time with. I’d leave them in their bitching condemning ways knowing they can’t recognise the image in the mirror and they are projecting the very thing they condemn in others……..a church that has lost the plot.

Thank god there is hope of change in so many other areas in the church in Australia who would be appalled by the Street Church Adelaide’s antics on the weekend. We have come to expect these kinds of behaviours from right wing extreme christian cults in the USA…..it catches us unawares though when in happens on our own shores.

It’s a shame that the clash happened which has given this group no one would normally every hear about…..some publicity.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
May 16, 2011, 03:03

forwardtherapy

Joined in 2009
May 16, 2011, 19:19

This video has made it’s way across the world. I was shocked to see it as I’m sure many others will be. It reminded me of the clashes we had with groups from certain churches in Brisbane during our campaigns to bring about gay law reform back in 1989-1990.

However I was heartened to hear the minister’s words: “Anybody who carries a banner that begins with the two words ‘God Hates’ is, to my mind, not representing the Christ that Christians believe in.”

Let’s hope this is the beginning of the end for bigotry and hatred against transpeople and same sex oriented people.

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.073 seconds.