Forums

Same sex couples can now marry in church... in Sweden

Page: 1

forwardtherapy

Joined in 2009
October 23, 2009, 09:34

From November 1, same sex couples will be married in state churches in Sweden. The change in legislation grants same-sex couples in Sweden the same legal marriage status as heterosexuals. That is, full equality.

Folk in Australia of course are still angling for the government to understand the word ‘discrimination’.

http://www.thelocal.se/22810/20091022/

orfeo

Joined in 2007
October 26, 2009, 12:03

I just saw a version of this story too.

Even if the government changes the law here, getting the CHURCH to conduct marriages is another step altogether. This will be full-on church weddings, using exactly the same language including the word ‘marriage’.

Big, big step.

For Sweden, of course.

forwardtherapy

Joined in 2009
October 26, 2009, 18:00

And it is a very different situation in Sweden, not only culturally (debate and discussion is valued and encouraged in Sweden rather than seen as the precurser to a punch-up!) but politically. In Sweden there is a State Church that most people were born into and had to opt out of. There are also other churches as well that will not be offering to marry same sex couples.

Australia does not have a state church, but the government uses the same word ‘marriage’ for the legal partnership it offers (some) couples. But is this ‘marriage’? Opinions are divided.

Why is it so important that the government continues to offer a civil marriage that does not have a religious aspect?

Or would it be better for the government to cease conducting ‘marriages’ and involve itself only with civil partnerships instead?

I’m interested in these questions.

Incidentally, my (Swedish) partner was telling me that it is vogue for straight couples in Sweden to have their weddings in a church, but they tell the minister they don’t want any talk about God!

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
October 27, 2009, 00:02

can I ask a question?

why would anyone want to have a same sex wedding in a church or performed by a minister who didn’t respect us…..unless of course they wanted to make it a political issue.

marriage is a civil institution and not owned by any particular faith …..so that is why it is discriminatory to not allow same sex couples to marry.

Ministers of religion should not be forced to perform same sex marriage ceremonies if their conscience doesn’t allow them.

forwardtherapy

Joined in 2009
October 27, 2009, 01:06

I agree with you Anthony, I dont think ministers of religion should be forced to conduct same sex marriages (actually I dont think anyone should be forced to do anything!)…

I think this was in the article I posted but in Sweden state church ministers can still opt out of conducting same sex marriages. But there are lots of ministers in the state church who are happy and excited about conducting them. It is a choice. No state church ministers will be forced to conduct same sex marriages. The state church in Sweden by the way, is the Lutheran church.

Marriage is a civil institution but it is also a religious institution. And I think this is why many people are getting hot and bothered about same sex marriage. But there are many differences between religious marriage and civil marriage. Fortunately or Unfortunately, we have one word for both.

orfeo

Joined in 2007
November 2, 2009, 12:42

In some countries any religious service is totally separate from the civil one that the state recognises. Eg my uncle was married in China, and the civil paperwork was weeks before the church service.

Here in Australia the two are thrown in together.

forwardtherapy

Joined in 2009
November 14, 2009, 04:55

In some countries any religious service is totally separate from the civil one that the state recognises. Eg my uncle was married in China, and the civil paperwork was weeks before the church service.

Here in Australia the two are thrown in together.

To me this seems the most sensible way forward, but it caused a terrible stir when I suggested it on another forum!

(for anyone interested in reviewing the debate, see the forums at http://www.outeverywhere.com and the post reference is: Ref: 7994116)

forwardtherapy

Joined in 2009
November 14, 2009, 05:11

Just an update on the Sweden situation!

http://www.thelocal.se/23132/20091107/

So to allay Anthony’s fears, the article confirms that not only do same sex couples have the right to marry in church and have that marriage recognised by the State, ministers have the right to opt out of marrying couples if they have some personal objection to the task. No one is being forced to do anything and Swedes wanting to marry can find ministers in the State church who will willingly marry them.

Come on Mr Rudd!

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
November 15, 2009, 07:26

that sounds fair ash.

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.085 seconds.