Forums

Scott- 18 and openly gay Christian

Page:   1 2 3 4 5

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
July 6, 2010, 02:15

are…..we have a successful formula 🙂 🙂 🙂

1. 7.15 for a 7.30 start lets people know we commence on time and are not waiting around for late comers and don’t frustrate those who made the effort to get there on time.

2. 7.30 Introduction and welcome (particularly welcome first timers without singling them out). Encourage regular attendees to make first timers feel welcome.

3. Run through the evenings program so that people know they can stay as little or as long as they like and that dinner afterwards is optional.

4. Read the guidelines/mission statement. Even though it may seem repetitive it

a. reminds everyone why we are here

b. reminds everyone of our ‘cruise free’ policy so they feel safe and if people might consider using our space inappropriately then they know it’s not on.

c. states we are a network not a Christian organisation as such so those who have issues around faith don’t feel pressured

d. reminds everyone and particularly first timers we have no agenda except to offer support

5. Share any relevant Freedom 2 b[e] news E.g. forum discussions or stories or national or international news/events

6. 7.45 Evening program: Speaker, discussion or DVD

7. 8.45 – 9.00 pm Wrap up and invite people to join us for dinner if they like.

8. Formal finish allows people to leave at that point if they want to. Some people just want to attend a formal meeting at this stage and don’t want to connect. Others (the majority from my experience) are desperate to connect, develop genuine friendships and want to talk with others who understand their journey. For many people this is where the healing begins or is accelerated.

RaulG

Joined in 2010
July 23, 2010, 14:28

Dear Scotty,

I’m glad to hear that you are more comfortable with your sexuality and yourself. I am also very happy to hear that your spiritual journey continues on and you are growing closer to Christ.

I’ve worked with the MCC before (in various countries and incarnations), and I have always believed that they do excellent work in tending to the needs of God’s children. It always warms my heart to see that they continue to do so!

Yours in Christ,

Raul

N149

Joined in 2010
July 30, 2010, 23:29

this forum is the 1st or 2nd result of over 290,000….

My goodness… What I have missed out on recently!

That is freaking awesome 😀

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
August 1, 2010, 21:52

thats great news Scotty.

From my experience just accepting that we are gay or lesbian…….doesn’t automatically mean we have everything sorted

Neither does coming out mean automatic resolution………………………..Its a journey.

Some come out…..go back in. I did it three times

Some come out but remain troubled for some time.

Some come out and never look back……experiencing an enormous sense of release and freedom.

ooooops. Just realised that I have described the variety of experiences people go through when they become christians as well………never thought of it that way before…. 😀

RaulG

Joined in 2010
August 1, 2010, 22:58

ooooops. Just realised that I have described the variety of experiences people go through when they become christians as well………never thought of it that way before…. 😀

Dear Mr. Brown,

Amen to that!

Yours in Christ,

Raul

Scotty101

Joined in 2007
August 1, 2010, 23:10

Hi everyone,

Just thought I’d give a quick update on life… it’s crazy to think that only a month and a half ago I posted my story here.

Since then, I’ve met some really cool like-minded people and started to check out Crave MCC which I am loving. Great to get around people that want to see the best in you.

In terms of coming out, it has been a continuing challenge with family and I have also experienced some mild opposition from Church, however it’s been a really great process to go through for me on a personal level- I feel so much more relaxed and comfortable in myself which I really wasn’t expecting… evidently there is something powerful in not hiding who you are. As well, it’s sparked some interesting discussion with some of my straight friends as well as a few mates in the gay scene as to how I am continuing to reconcile faith and sexuality. No regrets 🙂

Scott.

Scotty101

Joined in 2007
August 2, 2010, 00:14

Neither does coming out mean automatic resolution………………………..Its a journey.

mm, yeah definently… and there are lots of things that are freaking me out still.. guess im just enjoying this point on my journey 🙂 .( made a little edit to that post to reflect that 😉 )

In any case, I am amongst the right people for the journey ahead 🙂

looking forward to ‘journeying’ with freedom2b into the future.. and the meeting on friday!

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
August 2, 2010, 10:14

i think you will find this friday night helpful…….along with lots of others I guess. http://www.freedom2b.org/event/1031

its foundational to us moving forward…..understanding how our sexual identity is linked to our self image and ultimately our self esteem.

Scotty101

Joined in 2007
August 7, 2010, 15:59

So… waiting for my bus after tonights meeting by AVB on self esteem and self identity, dinner and drinks and thought I’d write something. I never have thought about it before but there some really negative voices and influences in my life…

I came to a point where I was ready to come out 3 months ago, after reading Anthony’s book. Fresh out of religious high school, in a conservative church, relatively old fashioned parents… and I came out to them all over the space of 2 weeks.

I was rejected by so many of my friends (Obviously I’ve now met amazing people through f2b)

Of the friends I have left, and particularly through my old church, they will refuse to sit next to me at services and other just little stuff to let me know I don’t fit..

To be completely honest, yeah it does affect how I feel about myself. I can’t remember the last time I left a church service there, feeling anything but upset.

I want to move past this point and I don’t wanna lose some of these people I’ve known for years, but I can’t let people treat me like this… it isn’t good.

On that note…. My bus is here. I’m out!

chrétien

Joined in 2010
August 8, 2010, 18:44

Hi Scott,

When I read,

“…Of the friends I have left, and particularly through my old church, they will refuse to sit next to me at services and other just little stuff to let me know I don’t fit..”

I could totally identify. I was having a similar crisis a little while back and among the things that helped was reading your story on this thread 🙂 I thought I might share how I have dealt with it. I see it as a massively challenging exercise in being gracious and hopefully be able to leave each Sunday night with a clear conscience.

“When offence is given and hurt is done, the customary human response is withdrawl, the reinforcing of the walls of the private self, with all that this implies about asserting one’s own humanity as a possession rather than receiving it as gift. The unforgiven and the unforgiving cannot see the other as someone who is part of God’s work of bestowing humanity on them”

It does take a toll on one’s self-esteem. I have felt rotten on many an occasion and I have had a few ministers (and church staff) behave badly towards me. But there have been many rewarding moments… discovering new friendships/supporters in unexpected people… finding friends who are willing to reinvest in our friendship after they have seen other people behave badly… and this in turn can influence the behaviour of those who have previously been not very nice!

Just don’t let their behaviour change who you are, and how you relate to people 🙂 I personally think you are awesome!!! I’m 25 and I cannot imaging doing what you are doing at 18!!

“Let the excellence of your life be your highest form of protest”

Page:   1 2 3 4 5

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.105 seconds.