Forums

Steve Davies becomes first professional cricketer to come out

Page: 1

Mr Summit
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2010
February 28, 2011, 19:55

Really great response too.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/england-wicket-keeper-steve-davies-becomes-first-professional-cricketer-to-publicly-announce-he-is-gay/story-e6frf3g3-1226013410290

England wicket keeper Steve Davies becomes first professional cricketer to publicly announce he is gay

While his peers have known for some time, England wicket keeper Steve Davies has used the internet to publicly announce he is gay.

Davies, who was left out of the World Cup squad to go to the sub-continent, used video interviews on The Sun and Daily Telegraph websites to become the country’s first professional cricketer to publicly announce he is gay.

The England camp were aware of the news after 24-year-old Davies told England coach Andy Flower before departing for the Ashes tour in Australia, where he played in the limited-overs matches.

“I have got nothing to hide and I am ready to tell people … I feel it is right to be out in the open about my sexuality,” Davies said.

“I’m comfortable with who I am – and I’m happy to say who I am in public.

“To speak out is a massive relief for me personally – but if I can just help one person to deal with their sexuality, then that’s all I care about.

“At the end of my career I want to be remembered as a good cricketer, not just as a gay cricketer.”

Flower said Davies has the “full respect” of the England camp, and that his cricketing talent, more than his sexuality, is what people should concentrate on.

“This is something Steve chose to discuss with myself and the squad some time ago,” he said.

“I would like to make it very clear that Steve is first and foremost a very talented cricketer and a valued member of the England setup.

“His private life is his own concern and has absolutely no bearing on his ability to excel at the very highest level in international sport and I have no doubt that he will continue to work hard to regain a place in the England squad.

“Steve has had and will continue to have the full respect and support of the entire squad and everyone involved in England cricket.”

English players union chairman Vikram Solanki said Davies’ peers have known for some time.

“Steve has the full support of all his colleagues in cricket,” he said.

“Many of those he plays with and against have known about this for some time and none of them regard it as anything other than an entirely personal matter.”

Two years ago, Wales rugby centre Gareth Thomas went public with his homosexuality.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
March 1, 2011, 20:52

Hi Mr Summit

Thanks for posting this. That’s really very positive and inspiring to hear the way Steve Davies has expressed himself and also how his team have been so supportive. I think that being positive about our sexuality helps others feel similarly. It shows others how to treat us. And I can’t help but think that Steve’s team mates no doubt respect his courage and positivity about who he is.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.051 seconds.