Forums

Supporting Gay Marriage

Page: 1

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
April 1, 2012, 15:36

Hi all

If you'd like to have your say in support of gay marriage, please send your submission via the link below. It only takes a couple of minutes and feel free to pass this information on to others. The submissions are due in by tomorrow.

Subject: 80,000 Reasons to Support Marriage Equality

80,000 Reasons to Support Marriage Equality

Dear Supporter,

The Catholic Church hierarchy has written to 80,000 followers asking them to oppose marriage equality. In their letter, they make false and alarmist accusations against same-sex couples and we need your help to set the record straight.

A growing number of Australians have put forward the case for equality, but at the last senate inquiry we were outnumbered by the 13,000 submissions against equality.

If you have already made your submission, please forward this email to at least 5 contacts (friends, family, etc) asking them to make a submission by sharing this link: http://www.australianmarriageequality.com/senate-inquiry-submission-form/.

If you still need to make a submission you can use the same link above. It only takes a couple of minutes.

Thank you joining us in achieving equality!

Alex Greenwich and Shelley Argent

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
April 3, 2012, 17:06

Hi all

I was very pleased to hear today that the same sex marriage bill has been the most supported of any bill in Australian history. They received almost 45 000 submissions. I suspect that the use of social media sites probably helped with that.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

ShadowBoxer
Joined in 2005
April 4, 2012, 07:21

Actually – I think 45000 were the number making submissions via Get Up and AME – so the actual number (including people who submitter directly) will be somewhat higher. For example – people opposing wont be included in the 45000 but I would think there will be some supporters who went direct as well….. it will take the inquiry quite some time to work through and post ALL the submissions

From the inquiry website

Due to the large number of submissions and form/standard letters that have been received for this inquiry, there will be significant delays in processing material, considering documents, and counting all submissions received

The submissions can be seen there as they are processed

[url= http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate_Committees?url=legcon_ctte/marriage_equality_2012/submissions.htm%5B/b%5D%5D%5Bb%5D [url]http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate_Committees?url=legcon_ctte/marriage_equality_2012/submissions.htm[/b]

and the article with the stats from AME / Getup (thanks to Shelly Argent´s FB page)

[url=
http://www.skynews.com.au/politics/article.aspx?id=735772&vId]http://www.skynews.com.au/politics/article.aspx?id=735772&vId

More than 45,000 Australians have told a Senate inquiry that they support same sex marriage, the lobby group Australian Marriage Equality (AME) says

………………….

Thousands more submissions, both in favour and against same sex marriage, have been made directly to the inquiry.

A summary on the Parliament of Australia's website shows that as of March 26, 54 per cent of those who had made submissions agreed the law should be changed to allow same sex marriage.

Forty-five per cent disagreed and one per cent were undecided.

The deadline for submissions ended on Monday and a public hearing is due to be held in Sydney on April 12.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
April 4, 2012, 17:40

Hi Shadow Boxer

Thanks very much for this info. 🙂

I'll be interested to know what the outcome is on April 12th.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

HillsBen
Youth Coordinator
Joined in 2008
April 5, 2012, 14:30

Hi all,

I thought I would share my submission.

Dear Committee Secretary,

Submission on the Marriage Equality Amendment Bill 2010

I am a proud Australian who believes same-sex couples should be able to marry and strongly support the Marriage Equality Amendment Bill 2010.

The Bill is an important step towards providing legal equality for same-sex partners and removing discrimination against them.

The Bill will strengthen relationships, families and marriage, and will make Australia a fairer and more inclusive nation.

I have been with my partner for over two years. During this time I have seen many friends around me get married and enjoy the recognition and value placed upon their relationship by friends, family and the government. Sadly, I am unable to share that same joy. The Australian government and the country that I love refuses to allow me to get married to the man I love and want to spend the rest of my life with.

My partner and I are both church going Christians and it hurts us to hear the horrible things that are being said about our relationship by a few fellow Christians. Fortunately, many Christians are in support of marriage equality and my 86 year old grandmother who attends church every Sunday morning is looking forward to attending my wedding one day.

I hope and pray that same-sex marriage is legalised soon. It will give me and my partner so much joy and make us proud to be Australian.

Yours sincerely,

Ben Gresham

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
April 5, 2012, 17:10

Hi Ben

That's beautiful and thank you for sharing. 🙂

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.045 seconds.