Forums

That's so "gay"

Page:   1 2 3

Sandy

Joined in 2007
May 19, 2009, 19:40

A friend of a friend of a friend of mine is currently doing some research into Australian slang terms and their evolution. We got to discussing the useage of the term “gay” as a derogatory statement for things unrelated to homosexuality, interchangable with words like “gross” or “bad”. Most commonly “that’s gay” or “that’s so gay”. Does anyone know anything more about this odd phenonmenon? How it started? Why it started?

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
May 19, 2009, 20:40

I probably noticed my niece and nephew saying that about 10-12yrs ago

(both in their 30’s now) what they told me was it was akin to something being over the top nerdy or daggy or square or too cutesy, so really anything “out there” because some gay things were considered a bit “out there” or over flamboyant or eye rolling 🙄 , I mean I love it but some things are a bit that way, so it even extended to cutesy things.

The term I want an explanation for is when someone says ” what a fernando” about someone 😯 😆

great to see you on here Sandy btw 😉 😀

Sandy

Joined in 2007
May 19, 2009, 21:52

Isn’t there some terrible ABBA song about Fernando? 😆 😆 I’ve gotta say that one is beyond me.

I thought the gay thing was recent but obviously not. Weird how the same word first descibes happy, then homosexuality, then weird or out there, then bad… who would have known it had such a colourful history…kind of like a rainbow flag 😆 😆

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
May 19, 2009, 22:34

😆

Yes ABBA sang fernando and I love it 😳 oh bother I love ABBA 8) even had an ABBA t-shirt 😉

Fernando, I think means if someone is being sulky or moody or says dorky things, will ask my niece to make sure 😯 when something is annoying its “necty” or when someone is annoying you say “what a mozzie ” or go “bbbbzzzzzz” or cutey then its “heysie”

Sandy

Joined in 2007
May 20, 2009, 00:49

Mags, you’re making this up, you must be! 😆 😆 People don’t really talk like that do they?! The English languange has been so degraded. I’ve never heard of most of those so I’ll take your word for it I think.

As for liking ABBA, lets not even go there. We all make mistakes, I forgive you. 😆 😆 😆

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
May 20, 2009, 07:59

Haaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!! 😆 😆 no-ones exorcising Mama Mia out of me 😛

The origin of words is quite interesting and what causes the change in meaning of them, I guess one could conclude that each culture and generation has a meaning for words all of its own so unless you know that, translation could really get ballsed up.

Imagine in a 1000yrs time, someone unearthing a book commenting somewhere “Oh that Obama, he’s just soooooo gay” they would think he was homosexual 😯

Sandy

Joined in 2007
May 20, 2009, 10:26

Maybe he is 😉 Anything is possible 😆 😆

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
May 20, 2009, 11:42

omggggggg 😆 Black and homosexual and the president allllllll at once, far out imagine the fanatical states 😯 🙄 😆 but he couldnt be gay, he cant dance for nuts 😕

miss_t

Joined in 2006
May 23, 2009, 12:38

I’ve never understood that saying. I remember it being said about 10 years ago in high school. But yes, it seems to have resurfaced. My friends brother actually was trying on a shirt and said “does this make me look homo?”…

Another line I’ve noticed for a long time is “that’s so retarded…”. I find that equally as odd 😕

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
May 24, 2009, 15:10

I’ve never understood that saying. I remember it being said about 10 years ago in high school. But yes, it seems to have resurfaced. My friends brother actually was trying on a shirt and said “does this make me look homo?”…

Another line I’ve noticed for a long time is “that’s so retarded…”. I find that equally as odd 😕

I think whenever these types of statements are voiced it displays an appalling level of ignorance about the daily challenges some people face 😕 Almost like a superiority complex … which is outright dangerous and borders on discrimination … there, I’ve had MY rant now … feel much better 😀

Page:   1 2 3

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.04 seconds.