Forums

That's so "gay"

Page:   1 2 3

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
May 27, 2009, 00:08

I’m not so sure where it started but I do know there is an excellent annual conference now here in Australia called “thats so gay”.

its for teachers and educators and people who work in the GLBT community with support services.

oooooo

Joined in 2006
May 27, 2009, 08:59

Not sure I can agree with those that are appalled with kids using ‘gayyyyy’ in their lingo. Besides the fact my kids use it constantly and my response is – yes i am gay, or yes your dad is gay, (when in front of their mates/friends when they say it around me lol)

I remember my mum getting annoyed many many years ago when i was a kid. She was angry that homosexuals were taking away from her a word she often used to explain she was happy. As far as I am aware gay originally meant happy, full of joy.

I am not condoning my mums bigotry (which by the way is slowly easing) but i do take the point that the word was originally meant for one thing and then along comes homosexuals who took the word for themselves.

This happens alot in our english language so … I am not phased by the current usage of the word.

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
May 27, 2009, 10:21

Yeh, I agree Tez, if anyone does feel funny about it, Id just say that many things take on the name of things that arent the original, I’d just say “the shortened version of Richard, now how’d that end up where it did?” 😯 and many others………. 😉

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
May 27, 2009, 15:42

does anyone remember the days when we moved from the word homosexual to camp…..that was a nice transition.

If you dont remember then you weren’t around in the late 60’s and early 70’s

miss_t

Joined in 2006
June 5, 2009, 09:54

does anyone remember the days when we moved from the word homosexual to camp…..that was a nice transition.

If you dont remember then you weren’t around in the late 60’s and early 70’s

I don’t remember avb… I’m an ’84 kid 😳

Haha

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
June 5, 2009, 10:11

don’t remember avb… I’m an ’84 kid

awwwwwwww 😉 same age as my nieces then..

Im a 67 kid so just a bub 8) dont remember that being my first word lol

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
June 5, 2009, 14:27

really dating myself there aren’t I

Sandy

Joined in 2007
June 5, 2009, 21:18

Oh come on AVB, you’ve pulled the age card more that once in terms of being ‘older and wiser’ 😆 😆 You can’t have your cake and eat it too! At least your really smart for an old dude… 😆 😆 😆 😉

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
June 6, 2009, 19:32

not too bad for an ol’ fart….eh 😆 😆 😆

supercalamari

Joined in 2008
June 23, 2009, 17:37

Not sure I can agree with those that are appalled with kids using ‘gayyyyy’ in their lingo. Besides the fact my kids use it constantly and my response is – yes i am gay, or yes your dad is gay, (when in front of their mates/friends when they say it around me lol)

I sometimes say “that’s so hetero”. But most times I’ll just ask them not to use the word gay like that in front of me, because I find it offensive- to me, it promotes bigotry.

Page:   1 2 3

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.073 seconds.