Forums

The David Campbell Scandal - what do you think?

Page: 1

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
May 21, 2010, 14:58

My choices caused great embarrassment: David Campbell

May 21, 2010 – 1:46PM

Should Channel Seven have aired the story and footage?

Vote on Poll here http://www.smh.com.au/polls/nsw/david-campbell-gay-sex-club-revelation/20100521-vyi0.html#poll

NSW Labor MP David Campbell says he and his family need time and privacy to deal with the circumstances that led to his shock resignation as transport and roads minister.

Speaking for the first time since footage of him leaving a gay sex club in Sydney’s eastern suburbs was aired on national television yesterday, Mr Campbell said he accepted responsibility for his actions.

ANDREW WEST: A manufacturer scandal

“What I will do is work through these issues with my family,” he told reporters in his electorate of Keira on the state’s south coast today.

Mr Campbell, 52, and a married father of two sons, did not directly address questions about his sexuality, saying only: “These are some choices that I have made.

“They have caused a great deal of embarrassment.”

Earlier today, Premier Kristina Keneally said Mr Campbell had led a secret life for more than 20 years.

Mr Campbell said he needed to work through the circumstances with his family, and that he had been humbled by messages of support from his local community.

He also denied suggestions he was uncontactable on the night of the F3 highway debacle, saying his office would be releasing telephone records to prove where he was.

Mr Campbell said he was in contact with staff and reachable at his Potts Point apartment on that night in April, when traffic on the highway was backed up for hours leaving motorists stranded.

Asked if he would stand at the state election to be held in March 2011, he said: “I have every intention to continue to serve as the member for Keira.”

Mr Campbell said the past 24 hours had been “particularly difficult for me but it is nothing compared to the difficulty my family has confronted”.

“This a very difficult time for my family,” he said.

“I put them in a situation, I accept responsibility for that.

“But they need privacy and we need some privacy to try and resolve this, try and put it behind us, and get on with our life.”

He again apologised to his family and political colleagues.

The former transport minister also stressed his private life had never impacted on his career in politics, which included eight years as mayor of Wollongong.

“I made some personal choices which have put me and my family in this situation,” he said.

“I’ve apologised to them for it.

“I apologise to the community, and I accept responsibility for the situation that I’ve put my family and myself in.

“I want to make it very clear that never over the period of my public life have those personal choices impacted in any way shape or form on the decisions I’ve had to make in public life.”

Mr Campbell also thanked members of the public for supporting him and his family while they dealt with the fallout of the Seven Network report.

“I have though been humbled to see the number of messages coming to my family and myself from members of my community and others,” he said.

AAP

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
May 22, 2010, 19:48

I feel awful for him and hope he has people supporting him right now….. 🙁 he must feel gutted poor thing.

deafant

Joined in 2009
May 24, 2010, 00:35

I personally dont think its anyone’s business where our members of parliament go or what they do with their spare time providing they arent harming themselves or others. Obviously it would have been a whole lot better if his wife and family could have known. But really we live in a day where I am disgusted at the games that the press and the politicians play – causing so much damage to each other. We could live in a time and place where so much good and positive things could be done. Where people could be kind and encouraging to one another instead of pulling one another down. We also live in a day whereby so much more freedom could be obtained but society still sticks to so much closed-mindedness about what we can and cannot do. Wouldnt it be great if people were just so much more open so that David Campbell’s visit to a gay sex club is just part of a wide range of things that people do. I have many friends that wouldnt bat an eyelid and couldnt care less if their member for parliament went to one of these clubs or not. It doesnt reflect on their ability to do their job imho.

I feel sad its still a world where men like David Campbell couldnt come out without fear of rejection from so many angles – there is still a lot of work to be done out there

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
May 24, 2010, 02:22

so right deafant

Dee

Joined in 2007
May 25, 2010, 00:48

Appalling gutter ‘journalism’ to say the least. Little regard was given to the impact upon the people that are within David Campbells family and close personal circles.

Why is it that the press (& others) think that it serves any useful public service to make accusations about ministers (or judges) regarding supposed misuse of vehicles and ‘seedy’ (gay) private lives?

What did the 7 network, the reporter & his editor gain from this? Personal retribution ? Let he/she who is without sin cast the first stone.

People should Choose to be out on their own terms, in a manner that doesn’t cause such terrible harm !

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
May 26, 2010, 23:49

so true Dee….so true.

it has been enormously encouraging I feel to see the reaction in the general population……almost like we have had a shift.

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.077 seconds.