Forums

The History of Gay Marriage

Page: 1

ShadowBoxer
Joined in 2005
March 20, 2012, 10:19

With the focus on Same-Sex Marriage these days there have been a lot of calls by some – to respect historical marriage. Even the australian Prime Minister has said that – even though – she is living defacto and in government. Something that would not have been acceptable 50 years ago in a ¨traditional¨ way of looking at things. (this is not meant to be an attack or a political piece – Im merely noting the irony of the stance of invoking history in this sense).

Of course – What they mean by that is not Real Historical Marriage – but a mythologised conception of marriage from quite recent times.

Marriage has been different across many cultures but one thing it hasnt been – is always the same.

I recently came across this article – http://www.care2.com/causes/the-forgotten-history-of-gay-marriage.html

(apologies for the USA Political slant in it) and the implications are quite interesting.

Gay saints. Officially recognised Gay Marriage services.

The implication here is that the Church in early times was quite accepting of Homosexuals ! That the homophobia and anti gay stance of the church is (like marriage) a modern thing. (Started – I understand for Political reasons to do with support – and lack of – various Monarchs but whether thats really true – I havent looked deeply enough)

What are people´s thoughts on this and the current debate ???

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
March 20, 2012, 20:36

Hi Shadow Boxer

Wow! This is fascinating and not something I was aware of.

At first when I looked at the icon of Serge and Bacchus with Jesus in between, I thought it could be interpreted as them being married to Christ like Catholic nuns are. But then with the mention of them being companions and lovers in the Greek, that seems to imply something more. This is exciting! 🙂

Thanks very much for posting.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

ShadowBoxer
Joined in 2005
March 20, 2012, 21:42

I have read about this kind of thing previously – but have just filed it into the – thats cool must look into it sometime….

Given the push recently – this caught my eye….

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.021 seconds.