Page: 1

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
August 31, 2009, 00:42

http://blogs.theage.com.au/ilovefootscray/archives/2007/04/gay_versus_the.html

Gay versus the poor

by David Cook

April 12, 2007

I’m constantly perplexed by the amount of energy that my fellow Christians invest into the debate over homosexuality and the church.

It feels to me like a whole lot of people have got their understanding of what’s important in their faith completely out of kilter.

A while back at a music festival I was sitting with a bunch of Christian friends, and the subject of homosexuality came up. I mentioned that I thought there were more important things to worry about, and anyway there’s only a handful of verses in the whole Bible – New and Old Testaments – that directly deal with the issue of homosexuality, and that even some of these are a matter of scholarly and interpretive debate.

The vehement response was a real example of how the subject touches a raw nerve with a lot of Christians, and how much emotional energy they’re willing to put into arguing and proving their case. But sadly I think it’s a misguided result of a church culture that has an unbalanced emphasis on personal morality issues.

Consider this: there are only a handful of verses in the Bible that deal with homosexuality (a sample of some has been collated here http://www.biblebb.com/files/tniv/HOMOSEX.TXT ). Yet when it comes to direct commands for the follower of God to attend to the needs of the poor and stand up for the rights of the oppressed, the Bible is overloaded. For a comparison, click here http://www.biblebb.com/files/tniv/POOR.TXT and here http://www.zompist.com/meetthepoor.html.

If you cut out all the verses in the Bible that speak of the obligation to the poor, you’d basically not have a Bible left. Yet many conservative Christians somehow boil their faith down to personal morality issues. In an interview with buzzflash.com, Sojourners chief Jim Wallis points out that poverty is a big moral issue too, and one that the Bible gives great importance to.

“The right is very comfortable with the language of faith and values and God and faith. In fact, they think they own it sometimes, or almost own religion or own God.

“And then they narrow everything to one or two hot-button social issues, as if abortion and gay marriage are the only two moral values questions. And those are important issues and they need a deeper, wider conversation – kind of a moral discussion on all sides. That’s fine.

“But did anybody really suggest or imagine these are the only two moral values issues? I’m an Evangelical Christian and I find 3,000 verses in the Bible on the poor, so fighting poverty is a moral value too . . .” (For the full interview click here http://www.buzzflash.com/interviews/05/02/int05008.html)

The Bible also has plenty of content warning against many things that are conspicously absent from the passionate (and usually sincere) rantings of most Christians.

For instance, there are many stories that warn against the evil of absentee landlords but I don’t hear too many Christians getting worked up about this issue (probably because many in the Bible belt are themselves absentee landlords).

The Good Book also clearly speaks against lending money for repayment with interest (now an accepted norm of our society), the dangers of wealth and material accumulation, and on it goes.

Yet despite the weight of such pressing issues that the Bible appears to focus on, the modern Christian church spends much of its time and energy on this issue of homosexuality, and particularly, it seems to me, the average pew-sitter doesn’t spend a proportional amount of energy getting passionately involved with responding to the Biblical directives about poverty.

It really troubles me, and I’ve spent a lot of time trying to figure out why.

And to be perfectly blunt, I think it’s because the gay issue is a soft target for many Christians that requires little real commitment or sacrifice.

It’s much easier to huff and puff in church and public meetings and get a feel-good sensation from having “taken a stand” for your faith than actually having to make difficult choices about your own lifestyle.

Responding to the multiplicity of verses in the Bible about obligations to the poor, oppressed and suffering is difficult, complex and an ongoing challenge. It requires constant struggle over issues of money, lifestyle, political ideology and materialist culture – and then actually doing something about it.

It’s seems to me to be much easier to spout invective about the evils of homosexuality (and feel self-righteous because you’re “not like that”) and maintain your personal status quo than to question whether you really need the new Lexus, if it’s ethical to own shares in a company that profits from the arms trade, or why you don’t know anybody who is poor besides the World Vision kid in the picture on your fridge.

The morals of homosexuality may or may not be arguable from a Biblical perspective, but that’s not my issue and I don’t really care to debate it (those who are interested in a background to both sides of the argument should click here http://www.religioustolerance.org/hom_bibi.htm). But really, if you have a view that the Bible says homosexuality is wrong, that’s up to you and you can argue that with someone else.

My gripe is that the whole debate seems to serve as a smokescreen for inaction on issues that the Bible gives more priority to.

If Christians could inject as much passion and energy into the issues that the Bible actually focuses on, then collectively we might make a huge difference to the state of the world that demonstrates the vitality that we claim our faith has, rather than looking like a bunch of finger-waggers who stand at a safe distance throwing stones at others or denying communion to one section of the community as a means to “protecting” our piece of turf.

supercalamari

Joined in 2008
August 31, 2009, 19:35

And to be perfectly blunt, I think it’s because the gay issue is a soft target for many Christians that requires little real commitment or sacrifice.

It’s much easier to huff and puff in church and public meetings and get a feel-good sensation from having “taken a stand” for your faith than actually having to make difficult choices about your own lifestyle.

Responding to the multiplicity of verses in the Bible about obligations to the poor, oppressed and suffering is difficult, complex and an ongoing challenge. It requires constant struggle over issues of money, lifestyle, political ideology and materialist culture – and then actually doing something about it.

It’s seems to me to be much easier to spout invective about the evils of homosexuality (and feel self-righteous because you’re “not like that”) and maintain your personal status quo than to question whether you really need the new Lexus, if it’s ethical to own shares in a company that profits from the arms trade, or why you don’t know anybody who is poor besides the World Vision kid in the picture on your fridge.

I loved this article. It sums up what I’ve been trying to put in words for ages. 🙂

oooooo

Joined in 2006
August 31, 2009, 19:54

i resigned from ministry largely for this subject. I maintain, that the church as a whole has left its prime directive

quoting from star trek lol

but it is a serious issue / issues

i have felt for a long time that church has majored on the minors and ignore the big issues,

partly because of ignorance, partly cos it goes with their bigotry

and partly cos they do not actually care (about the widows and orphans and poor – as a whole)

i have been part of too many churches that dont like ‘the ugly’

and so many throw people away if they dont change their ‘wicked ways’ and live according to how they were told

i know elders of churches who told new converts how they should and should not dress

i am yet to find any church/denomination that lives the bible

that keeps in mind how many times an issue is mentioned

stating the importance of it and living their life in that balance

when i was challenged about being gay

they brought out their bibles to prove their point

with each verse they used i gave another – do you eat pork? does your wife cover her head?

does she speak in church?

and the list went on

(i only split hairs when they do)

i also included what money collected was used for

but what do modern churches use it for?

carpet and air conditioned auditoriums

(and no i am not against prosperity except when it ignores the needs of people, real needs)

but then i dare say there is not one person on the planet that is not a hypocrit

and churches are full of people

so stands to reason the churches will be imperfect

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
August 31, 2009, 21:09

Yep, reminds me of those few verses in Revelation 3 where the Laodicean church is being addressed … “I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth. Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked” … implying that the church was half-hearted and was being distracted from its true purpose …

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
August 31, 2009, 21:14

has anyone else read ‘Stealing Jesus: How Fundamentalism Betrays Christianity’ by Bruce Bawer…..very interesting read and perspective on church history.

http://www.amazon.com/Stealing-Jesus-Fundamentalism-Betrays-Christianity/dp/0609802224

cow shoes

Joined in 2007
September 1, 2009, 11:39

Anthony I so agree with you. Taking a stand on issues such as homosexuality or even abortion does not cost and I suggest feeds self rightouesness. To actually do something about the poor and oppressed in our world requires sacrifice, whether it be in monetary giving, time, the way we live etc. It requires an action in other words it costs. If Christians used the same energy they use to argue the wrongs of homosexuality etc to better the lives of others in a real way many could be assisted.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
September 1, 2009, 22:00

nice to hear from you cow shoes….thanks for your thoughts

JYONG

Joined in 2009
September 8, 2009, 19:55

To do justice and to defend the poor, orphans and widows is the message echoing from the Old Testament to the New Testament. Sadly many Churches are preoccupied with moral values not that moral is not important. The amount of energy that the Churches channel to argue certain moral value is amazing; I wonder what would happen if the Churches redirect it energy, wisdom and power to do justice, defend the poor, orphans and widows?

I also think to defend ‘gay’ and ‘lesbian’ against injustice is biblical.

What you are doing Anthony certainly good things, keep up the good works.

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.085 seconds.